Star Trek - Horizon (Enterprise Feature-Length Fan Film)

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by tommygdawg, Nov 28, 2013.

1. tommygdawg

tommygdawg Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hey all,

I'm new to the Trekbbs, but I thought I would take the opportunity to let you all know about my fan film: Star Trek Horizon. I have a love affair with the fifth Star Trek series (Enterprise), it literally helped changed my life. This love of the show helped me put in the passion I would need to nearly one-man-band this entire production, which is still ongoing.

As the thread title suggests, Star Trek: Horizon is a feature-length film. Taking place in 2160, the Coalition of Planets is at war with the Romulan Empire. Desperate for a chance to gain the upper hand in the war, the Coalition forms an alliance with T'mar, a Romulan deserter, in the hopes that she can provide valuable intelligence on her former masters.

[​IMG]

I don't have official teasers or trailers out yet. However, I've been documenting my progress with video blogs. I just now released the fourth vlog, and there's plenty more planned in the near future! If you all have time, I'd love for your thoughts, comments, and opinions :)

Video Blog 01
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD-fzZjk5Is

Video Blog 02
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkJSs-yyMtg

Video Blog 03
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MjOmGMRaKQ

Video Blog 04:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOlADRxVyTQ

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/sthorizon
    My website: http://www.tommykraft.com/
    Official Website: www.startrekhorizon.com (coming soon)

2. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

sounds great, looking forward to this

3. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

Following with interest and I have subscribed to your youtube channel. Best of luck!

Duane

4. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

Watched your video and liked what I saw. Looking forward to seeing more.

Alec
    Star Trek: Axanar

5. tommygdawg

Thank you! And thanks for checking it out :)

Thanks ya kindly, always nice to see a new subscriber :)

Thank you, Alec! I've checked out Axanar as well, it looks fantastic so far!

6. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Another filmmaker I know here does video blogs like yours too. I find them quite entertaining and informative! Looking forward to Horizon!

7. tommygdawg

Oh cool! Who is it? I'm a big fan of the style too! Thank you for the kind words, by the way :) Hopefully I can live up to Enterprise!

8. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I have added your planned Fan Film to my list of Star Trek Fan Films being worked on by Filmmakers who have not yet produced any Star Trek Fan Films. http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/210.html . You are currently (H). When you release a film (or several films) over 10 minutes in length that tells a whole story (it can have some threads that carry on to another episode, but it has to be a whole story, not the first of several parts) you will be given a page dedicated to your Star Trek Fan Film work. See, for example, Star Trek: Phase II http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/20.html and Star Trek: The Romulan Wars: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/10.html .

I look forward to watching your film and publicizing its release!

Your accent is North American, but I would also like to add your planned production to the Star Trek Fan Filmmaker's map, vis; http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/4.html . For that purpose, I would appreciate a location, e.g., Boston, Mass., or San Antonio, Texas. Your Trek BBS profile says Michigan.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  9. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

This looks terrific. The green-screen/CGI shots of the bridge in the video blog were incredibly impressive. It looks like you're being very deliberate, but also working quickly, which is an amazing combination.

Look forward to hearing and seeing more about this.

10. Loken

Just added you to both Facebook groups. There are a lot of actual film makers who will help you and share information.

Alec

11. tommygdawg

Thank you! The film will be a standalone feature, approximately two hours long. The production is based in Jackson, Michigan. Please let me know if there's any other information I can provide for you :)

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the kind words. Now, if only it seemed I was moving quickly to ME! :P

Thank you, Alec! :)

12. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Very promising project Tommy! I'm impressed with the way you've gone about this: script first, casting second, everything else built around that. I'll be following your progress with great interest.

13. Barbreader

14. Loken

If you haven't watched Tommy's vlogs you need to. Really impressive stuff.

Alec

15. tommygdawg

Thank you much! :)

Thanks, Mike! I appreciate that a lot. After doing a lot of films, I've come to realize that that is definitely the best approach. There's really no other way to do it if you want to make a quality project.

Thanks for the very kind words and recommendations :)

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Always happy to share encouragement and enthusiasm for new projects and filmmakers.

By "here" I should have clarified I meant Los Angeles where he is an up and coming director. He largely posts his video blogs on his Facebook page.

Keep up the great work; and don't let the haters get you down - there will be plenty of them in the Star Trek world. There's drama, back-stabbing, name-calling, bragging, bullying, all the worst aspects you'd find in any high school but there are also tons of lovely, talented, fun, brilliant people too. You'll figure it out along the way.

That said, I love the positivity of your blog entries and the enthusiasm you bring to it; these videos are firmly in the realm of enthusiasm and so refreshingly not smacking of bragging. I for one am definitely looking forward to the release of Horizon and all the updates in between!

17. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

For discussion purposes, OP: I'm curious what drew you to Enterprise, in particular, over the other incarnations of Trek.

I loved the show, as well, and never understood why it was so maligned by a portion of the fan base. The sense of adventure and "are we in over our heads?" was great fun to me.

18. tommygdawg

It's always sad to me that there are often a lot of haters ESPECIALLY in Star Trek, given what the show is really about: people coming together and uniting in common good. I guess they don't realize that Star Trek has become what it is about it's core: a group effort, a huge sandbox that so many different people from all over the place have worked on.

I'm glad you're the vlogs. I definitely am not a fan of bragging. There's a fine line between confidence in your abilities at whatever you do and being a braggart, I'm definitely glad I'm not the latter :P I feel that I don't have much to brag about, anyway. I just love Star Trek, telling stories, and making movies. I get passionate about it and focus my all on doing whatever it is I'm doing.

Thanks again for the kind words and for maintaining such an interest in the film :)

Finally! A fellow Enterprise fan! My love of the show is a long story, so bear with me. There's a lot of personal subtext to what I love about Enterprise, so it's hard to explain it all.

I've always been a huge sci-fi and Star Trek fan. However, I grew up in an incredibly fundamentalist religious home, we didn't believe in much of science. The earth is 6,000 years old, evolution is a lie planted by scientists, etc. So all of these wonderful stories and ideas I would see in Star Trek would captivate me and give me something to dream about, but I knew I could never pursue an interest in them or science because they'd conflict with my religious beliefs.

I had sort-of buried my questions and doubts about religion for a long time until a year or two ago. I fell into a really bad depression, like nothing I had ever experienced before. I got to that state where I barely had the energy to stand. So, I started watching a lot of TV shows. Cue, Enterprise.

I'm not going to say Enterprise cured my depression, I still deal with it. But it did change my life. During the height of it, I could no longer bury the religious doubts, and when watching the show everything started to make some sense to me. I identified so closely with Captain Archer. What I really wanted to do was to explore the universe, appreciate the beauty of it all, and do whatever I could to help bring people together. What I love about Archer (and the whole crew) is the pioneering spirit, the absolute passion for exploring the universe. For Archer all of this was brand new! For the other captains it was ordinary, but for Archer, it was like discovering a whole new universe.

Enterprise, and my identifying with Captain Archer, gave me the passion to try something new, to explore. I guess technically now I'd be a Secular Humanist or an Atheist, and it's the best choice I've ever made in my life.

I hope that doesn't sound too cheesy. But I also have to say that there's just something about the storytelling on Enterprise that really captivated me. I loved it all, though season 3 is my favorite. I found the dynamic between the crew interesting and unique. I loved the design of the ship, both interior and exterior. I loved seeing the early years of Starfleet. I think overall it was just a quality show (and this is why it's my favorite Star Trek incarnation), and that combined with my personal feelings is what gave me the passion to basically dedicate my life for the time being to making this film.

Hope that wasn't too personal for ya! lol

Steve Roby likes this.
  19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Sadly, I've seen a nasty streak amongst some fan filmmakers which I find quite repulsive. This isn't a competition, after all, and I strongly support participation by anyone who has experience to share, so welcome!

20. Barbreader

Tommy... let me just say here (and I realize this is off topic) that most religions accept science. Roman Catholicism (contrary to what you may have heard) accepts science. Most forms of Protestantism, and Judaism accept science. I believe this is also true of Hinduism, Islam, and Buddhism, but while I know many do, I have no idea if it's most, just because I don't know enough about these faiths. Accepting evolution is not being an atheist. In a work called, "The Book of Power" published in Poland in the first decade of the 1600s, a Rabbi even takes the position that there are new animals and plants which come into existence all the time, and others which no longer exist, and that proves God is still acting in our world. I don't cite this for it's truth, but just to show that there are many views in addition to the one your were raised with and atheism. If Atheism makes you happy, though, be an atheist. I don't mean to dispute that if it makes you happy.