Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 11 2014, 12:27 PM   #16
Metryq
Captain

Re: flying car

Flying cars will not solve traffic problems, if that is the aim. Throughout history, traffic always expands to overload the available roadways. Ancient Rome had passes for merchants licensed to enter the city and daily schedules.

The real reason we have traffic is because people need to be somewhere—to do a job, to pick up supplies, etc. The next step is finding other ways for people to do jobs without the massive commutes every day. Some people will always have to travel, but "telecommuting" and telepresence may become more common and accepted. Some new method may be found for distributing needed supplies and goods. Perhaps 3D printing and other forms of rapid prototyping will overtake conventional mass manufacture and distribution?

The above developments might even be the end of cities, as we know them. And what happens after that?
Old May 11 2014, 02:23 PM   #17
varek
Commander

I disagree. I think if you had flying cars, your roads wouldn't be so crowded, but could still be used. And, you wouldn't be snowbound or trapped by a flood, if you can fly up and over any obstacles.
I would love to live in a Jetson-like world. And, in the early Star Wars sagas, there seems to be steady streams of aerial traffic flying by at all hours of the day and night, but in an orderly way.
I just hate having to crawl along on the ground, when you have the whole sky open above you!
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 02:56 PM   #18
Metryq
Captain

^ Time to start investing, then, Varek. Don't wait for someone else to do it. If you really believe flying cars will "solve" all our traffic problems, then put your money into it.
Old May 12 2014, 06:01 AM   #19
Tiberius
Commodore

Irishman wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Flying cars are never gonna happen, but not for technical reasons. Simply for safety reasons.
You mean like aircraft? And spacecraft? Those will never happen for safety reasons?
Ah, but all those require people to go through rigorous training and operate with air traffic control etc to work. I can't see that working with the thousands of cars on the road for the morning commute. Would you really want to deal with 20,000 request to change lanes in order to overtake?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 11:01 PM   #20
farmkid
Commodore

scotpens wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I admit my views on this are influenced by the fact that I really don't like to drive and that I am a total mass transit obsessed geek. If there was a real, universal, realistic "personal rapid transit" system which could completely replace the car, I'd embrace it.
A workable PRT system would be great -- as an adjunct or an alternative to the personal automobile, not a replacement for it.
I have to agree with this. Some sort of PRT system could replace a lot of driving, but there are other things people drive for that wouldn't work so well with only a PRT system. For example, I think of the shed I built in my back yard and bringing home the materials for it, or when I brought home the old tractor tires I got from someone else for my kids to climb on, or when I borrowed my neighbors tiller, or my upcoming replacement of my roof and siding on my house, or visiting my parents and other friends who live way out in the boonies, or camping trips. You get the idea. Personally, I fairly regularly make trips where I need to haul a lot of stuff or go places that PRT wouldn't go. A PRT system that could completely replace driving would have to be able to go ANYWHERE, including off-road/wilderness areas and be able to haul fairly large loads. For regular trips to work, or shopping in areas of moderate to high population density, sure, I can see it working just fine. A PRT system could replace maybe 75% or so of driving, but to replace that last 25% would require a much bigger, more robust, and more complex system.
Old May 13 2014, 04:22 AM   #21
Tiberius
Commodore

Using a PRT to eliminate car usage for commuting would be a good thing though. It would reduce the number of cars on the road during peak, creating faster transit times. Also less pollution. it will, as Farmkid said, never replace cars altogether, but it will certainly take a lot of the strain off the road network.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 06:25 AM   #22
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

And it would be a big help for disabled riders.