SONY announces Amazing Spider-Man 3 and Sinister Six release dates

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/sony-spider-man-sinister-six-playstation-uncharted/

Looks like they are going to take a little more time on ASM3 as many fans were hoping. But they are still going through with the silly Sinister Six idea...

There is also some news about a movie called Uncharted.

2. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

I wonder who the villain(s) will be in the third film. It might be the Sinister Six I suppose, after their movie is done.

Also wonder if they'll bring in Mary Jane. They did cast Shailene Woodley but she was cut from the finished film, and her star is kind of rising so that might mean she won't be available for the film anyway.

3. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be down with The Jackal simply because Emma Stone is amazing and a Gwen Clone would be more than welcome.

4. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They should def take their time with ASM3.
    Try and make it, you know, Amazing.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So it's a standalone movie with the Sinister Six? :confused:

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I was barely able to work up enough interest to go see the last movie.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'm in the minority that quite liked TAS2, for all its flaws but I'm not sure how I feel about the Sinister Six film. I'd rather they just concentrated on making TAS3 really good. For my money, where 2 fell down was the scripting but with Orci out of the picture, I think that should be easily rectified.

I suppose there was 4 years between the 2nd and 3rd Chris Nolan Batman films but with Spider-man and the lead actor being that bit younger, I wonder will such a gap affect where they go with the story. Will Andrew still pass for college-aged or will they skip ahead (so much for the cliffhanger ending).

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, given how ASM2 ended, they'll look like total assholes if Harry Osborn doesn't have a leading role. And what's more, I'd be astounded if Spidey himself didn't make at least an appearance - it's not as though they have to pay Garfield anything to use the fully suited and masked character, after all.

9. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd settle for good or not bad.

Obviously Sony has lost faith in the franchise after the last crapfest.

10. Gaith

Obviously, you're exactly wrong. If they were losing faith, they'd announce that they realized that their best creative decision would be to fold the Sinister Six and ASM3 projects into one movie, thereby reducing their risk and giving the united movie a big, clear hook.

Again, given the ending of ASM2, it makes perfect sense to do a Sinister Six movie now rather than after ASM3. They should have arrived at this conclusion months ago, frankly, and maybe they did, but they've very much been making it up as they go along.

That said, movie studios don't exactly play Sun Tzu and reverse psychology with movie announcements. Announcing multiple movies in a franchise where one would be sufficient to retain the all-important rights is a sign of confidence in said franchise, plain and simple.

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'll be sure to make other plans.

12. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

ASM4 has disappeared off the schedule. Confidence?

You mean given the failure of ASM2 they push back 3, throw 4 out the window and hedge their bets on a 'Sinister Six' movie.

I agree. Who the hell even wants to watch another Amazing Spider-man movie. A Sinister Six movie will never get made it ASM3 came out first and put the final nail in the coffin.

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The rumor was, or the plan was, to release a Spiderman movie every two years, but I think the lower numbers made them realize to not rush things.

But how do you have Sinister 6 without Spiderman? I'm curious to that more than Spiderman 3.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I hate that. There's not necessarily any Spider-Man fatigue. It's just that fewer people go to see a movie if everyone is saying it isn't any good. Make a great film and watch the money roll in.

Or, be Michael Bay. His shit always makes money unless Ewan McGregor is in it. ;)

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It sounds like, rather than fatigue, it's just simple risk aversion. They move Sinister Six and Spider-Man past the heavy hitter summer movies coming up. Sinister Six will be in November, 2016 and ASM3 some time after that. The goal seems to be to tread water with their rights. The movies will be released with plenty of time to retain their rights, but there's no need to rush into it and release more movies than they have to.

17. Gaith

Pretty sure they never quite said ASM4 would be a Garfield-centric movie - i.e., it might have ended up being the Venom movie, and it still might. Moreoever, this news probably does signal a new caution on the studio's part, but that still doesn't at all equate to a loss of faith.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hopefully the Sinister Six movie is an elaborate lead-in to a massive all out war with Spidey in ASM3.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

How would AM4 not be Garfield (or a least, if there were a change of lead actor, Parker) centric? A Venom movie would be a totally different kettle of fish (or spiders). As I recall, pre-ASM3, the plan was for a SS movie and ASM3&4 as well as possibly a Venom movie.

ASM still made money but clearly less than was expected (be those expectations realistic or not). Loss of faith may be putting it strongly but to me there is clearly less confidence on Sony's part in the franchise than there was before the release of ASM2.

I want to see this series carry on, as I think the director and cast are great but optimistic as I am, I can't see other any way to see these steps.

20. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Why would it need to be?

You could very easily make Spider-Man's battle with the Six the entire focal point of their titular film - while also resolving the lingering issues from the end of TASM2 as far as Peter Parker/Spider-Man is concerned, and then tell a completely different story in TASM3.