The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

^ Because the first one looks more interesting to me. More cinematic, more dramatic. It has more mood, more depth and – to me – more realism. The other one looks just dull, flat, bright, cartoony and uninteresting to my eye.

That's why. ;)

2. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Agreed. The lighting and cinematography during the first four seasons was more interesting and cinematic than the latter seasons. The HD transfers will hopefully reflect this.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Well, sir, I disagree! :klingon:

Also, your opinion is awful and you should be ashamed of yourself! Or something like that. That's how these internet arguments are supposed to go, right? :p

4. Michael

^ All is good. :)

The internet would be a boring place if we'd all agree all the time. I have no problem with people thinking differently about this.

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I really don't think the majority of the dark and moodiness was intentional, rather it was born out of necessity of hiding reflections of the crew and what have you in consoles, and possibly just being cheap.

I mean, that image of Data, what purpose does it serve to have his shoulder in complete darkness? Why are there 2 dark bands on the console next to him?

It's a well known fact they used black cardboard originally to hide reflections, but if they're at an angle when the entire console shows a reflection, then they probably had to go and take more drastic actions.

6. Michael

^ Well, that might be a valid argument if we were just talking about shots with consoles and reflections in them. The lighting of the first few seasons must – at least to some degree – have been a concious cinematographic decision, because all shots are darker, more desaturated and the lighting and shadows are starker. I think they just switched the director of photography between season two and three and the other guy had a different (≠ better) apporach.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Judging from the trailer we've seen, the cinematography is not to blame for a lot of the murkiness associated with early seasons...it's just the terrible transfer that we've been stuck with all these years.

I'll wager there is no actual CC needed for the episodes to look much better and more consistent. We'll see soon enough.

I don't get it. It is being remastered. Remastering doesn't necessarily have anything to do with new effects, regardless of what misuse has been wrought on the word the last few years. :)

8. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Another thought...

Will the remastered versions also be released on DVD? Jumping up from fuzzy lessthanNTSC to full 480i, or in the case of PAL 576i, will make the current DVDs look like a halfway house between VHS and what DVD ought to be.

9. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

But -R is no longer accurate, Tosk. Since it was reserved to describe remastering with new VFX (more like a 1990s Special Edition), we need HD to emphasize that this is just an HD upgrade. Otherwise newcomers will think it's the same as TOS Remastered, because that would be the obvious assumption. And what if TNG does get its -R eventually?

10. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope they do. Muted and way too dark in the first in comparison to the second. I'd also want them to add more life to the panels instead of just blinkies, maybe a little CG animation to give it some kick.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Dude, it's just a short-hand being used on a BBS. Who cares if someone assumes something?

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

This is TNG Remastered. It's just that there are soooo many levels to remastering something.

13. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Well, officially they're calling it TNG in HD...but it doesn't really matter.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The first one looks more "real" and cinematic to me...

15. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Remastering has nothing at all to do with new FX. In fact, the new FX added to the classic episodes of Star Trek are the only parts of the show that weren't remastered.

I blame George Lucas for confusing everyone about what "remastered" actually means.

16. WeAllAreClocks

WeAllAreClocks Cadet Newbie

I registered with this Forum JUST to Point this out:

[​IMG]

Don't take my Word for it... Go to Amazon.com and go to their Streaming Videos...

...What?

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

"Re-Mastering" means to go back to the original film stock and to produce new viewable material from it. Which is fundamentally what they're doing here in every conceivable level since the episodes have to be re-edited from scratch.

"Re-Mastering" has nothing at all to do with special effects, it's about making new "masters" from the original film.

18. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It says that they have seasons 6 and 7 in HD, however if you click on the links for 6 and 7 HD then they don't work.

19. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

HD versions of DS9 don't exist. The TOS second season set also lists "Trials and Tribble-ations" as being in HD, but it isn't.

20. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember looking forward to seeing that in HD and then the crushing disappointment when I saw the woeful upscale job they'd done with it. It may actually have been worse than the SD version......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.