X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

There, we've got the first two minutes of X4 figured out.

Now we just need to figure out the next two hours. :eek:

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

And you think Singer wouldn't have gotten that extra $100 million? Singer left before any of that was figured out. WB offered Superman to Singer, Singer asked to have X-Men 3 wait a year, Fox said no, and Singer left due to that (coupled with his experiences with the studio from the earlier films).

That's not what I meant, and you know that.

He made a dumbass comment while trying to joke around. It wasn't a smart move, and he rightly suffered the consequences. However, it was pretty clear there was no malice surrounding what he said. To me, intent and malice is everything. So, while I don't think it makes him an ass necessarily, it does make him an ignorant buffoon.

When it comes to Wolverine, I'd say he has some good pull.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is why we all must ignore The Last Stand. No good can come from it :)

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

5. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, not a Polanski or Ratner fan, nor The Last Stand. I mean really, who greenlight a story with mutant cures ending it all if you wanted the franchise to continue? Making the Dark Phoenix dumbed down and secondary for it was like cutting your nose to spite your face. I'd much rather watch the cartoon in place of TLS.

Anyhoo.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansi...ew_Vaughn_Has_Something_He_Is_Pitching_To_Fox

and

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/11/1...more-professor-x-in-x-men-first-class-sequel/

McAvoy and Fassbender are hoping!

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Fox's Tom Rothman on a sequel (and possible other Fox superhero movies):

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/22583/rothman-on-x-men-sequel-marvel-reboots

Hearteningly, Fox seem to have taken note of how Marvel have handled their comic movies, as oppose to how Fox have. One gets the impression that they'll be aiming for the high standard set by the Marvel-produced movies, as well as First Class and this year's Planet of the Apes movies, as oppose to the likes of Elektra or the Fantastic Four, when they reboot Daredevil and FF etc.

7. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe FOX should build their own "Marvel" universe out of the properties they hold the rights to.

8. Captaindemotion

^Hmmmmm. Interesting idea. But I don't know that Daredevil, X-Men and FF would all work onscreen together too well. But they might do, who knows?

I wish DD and Spider-man were owned by the same company though...

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

IIRC, wasn't there a nod to the X-Men movies in one of the Fantastic Four movies? A photograph of Doom and Stryker together or something?
    I agree. For no other reason than the Ben Urich character, who would be the perfect "bridge" character between the franchises (ala Coulson or Fury). Jameson would work in that regard as well, but not as well as Urich, the reporter who cracked both DD and Spidey's secret IDs, but never published them.

10. Skywalker

With The Wolverine set for 2013, I don't expect a First Class sequel until 2014 at the earliest, so they've got plenty of time to get a solid script together. They won't have to rush the production like they did with The Last Stand and kind of did with First Class.

11. Admiral_Young

I actually wish that Marvel Studios bought the Fantastic Four rights and did a reboot. Just so we could get a scene between Reed and Tony :)

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Good news that they seem eager and willing to do a sequel. It still just feel like lip service to some degree though. I want to hear of contracts signed, that would give me a better sense of certainty.

Count me with those who feel like FOX could manage the Marvel properties they have into a type of shared universe. It doesn't have to be a lead up to some big event, ala The Avengers, just enough nods to know they are all operating in the same world.

13. Admiral_Young

We usually never hear about contracts, we hear about green lights. I agree that we probably won't see First Class 2 until 2014 at the earliest. Everyone is mostly busy right now. Vaughn still continues to eye his next project which will most likely be another Mark Millar adaptation. Singer is busy with "Jack the Giant Killer" and his "Battlestar Galactica" project. James McAvoy is an established star with a lot of projects on the go...Michael Fassbender has become a superstar. The only reason that this was "rushed" is because of Bryan Singer getting the ball rolling in the first place. He galvanized everyone with his treatment. It's all about getting that story together. Once they do that things will start moving again. There's no real rush for this one if they want to do it right.

14. Skywalker

And a scene between Cap and the new Johnny! :D

15. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fassbender and McAvoy have both mentioned they are signed for 2 sequels, I don't know about everyone else. I hope there is indeed at least a first round script being worked on, then if Vaughn and Goldman can return for another polish and be able to take some more time instead of the rush!

Fassbender is only committed to one project next year, 12 Years a Slave with McQueen again. Lots of rumors of other things, but maybe he is keeping his calendar clear for a reason? I'm more concerned with Lawrence and Hunger Games becoming an issue.

Fassbender has thus far been able to stick to his guns in his film decisions, going with smaller films for less because he believes in them and the people or passing on huge things because he didn't think they held much for him. Although I think his declining the Hobbit was two fold, it was a small part and he couldn't commit to their schedule, hopefully I suspect because of a window for X-Men.

Right now, I'm more concerned with the Golden Globe noms next week! :)

16. Admiral_Young

We know there's a first draft being written...it was reported earlier in the thread Simon Kinberg was writing it. This is still in the very early development stages right now. As I've said from the start we probably won't hear anything definitive until next year.

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was more or less a joke when I wrote it, but now I've suddenly become excited about a 60's Era Marvel Movie Universe with sequels to X-MEN FIRST CLASS and a re-launched FANTASTIC FOUR back in it's proper space-race context.

18. Skywalker

Whoa, wait, Fassbender was offered a role in The Hobbit? Which character?

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Thranduil? Bard? The Ring?

20. Captaindemotion

Surely Gandalf?! ;)