Non Trek Fic: Doctor Who Season 8.5

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by USS Fardell, Feb 1, 2015.

1. USS Fardell

USS Fardell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doctor Who: Season 8.5

Prologue: Last Christmas Epilogue
    A Location known only to the Doctor and the TARDIS
    The Doctor awoke, for real this time as the ‘dream crab’ expired. “Clara!” He called out.

He scrambled to the TARDIS, which soon dematerialised.

25 December 2018
    London, England, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    The TARDIS rematerialised outside Clara’s flat.

The Doctor rushed inside and zapped the ‘dream crab’ with his sonic screwdriver. Eventually it came off, and he found Clara wasn’t old, but young, almost as young as after they had defeated the Mistress’s Cyber scheme.

Clara breathed in and sat up. “Doctor? Am I young?”

The Doctor ran and grabbed a mirror. Clara looked at herself in it.

“The TARDIS is outside.”

“So?”

“So, All of time and all of space, is sitting out there, in a blue box.” The Doctor approached Clara. “Please! Don’t argue.”

Clara smiled, took the Doctor’s offered hand and gave him a kiss. “Merry Christmas, Doctor.”

Soon, the TARDIS dematerialised, with the Doctor and Clara inside.

TARDIS (Enroute - London 25.12.2018 – indeterminate)
    “Where are we going?” Clara asked.

“We’re going to find the others who were in those dreams with us. To see if they have come out of it as we have,” the Doctor answered.

“How?” Clara asked.

“The same way I homed in on your time, via the telepathic circuits,” the Doctor said. He placed his hands in the circuits. ‘Shona!’ he thought, filling his mind with his memory of the girl who had said she worked in a shop.

The TARDIS focused on the telepathic trace, and changed course...

25 December 2014
    Marlborough, England, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    The TARDIS materialised in a flat. It was messy. The Doctor quickly found the person. He immediately soniced the ‘dream crab’. It came off. She breathed deeply, as she awoke. She saw the Doctor and Clara, and screamed.

“Shush!” the Doctor said.

“Who are you?” she asked, once she had recovered. She picked up a piece of paper and placed a tick next to a line that said ‘Forgive Dave????’

“The Doctor.”

“Clara, Clara Oswald.”

“Shona, Shona McCullough. Wait, you’re familiar.”

“Maybe in a dream?” the Doctor asked. “A polar base under attack. Santa Clause.”

Memories of the nested dreams came back to Shona. She sat back down in slight shock. “So there actually was a ‘dream crab’?” she asked.

“Yes. I came to ensure that you actually escaped it,” the Doctor said.

“Thanks,” Shona said. “What now?” she asked.

“We’re going to find the other two, to be sure they escaped the ‘dream crabs’ as we have,” the Doctor asked.

Shona approached the TARDIS, notebook in hand. “Can I come with you?” she asked.

“I’m sorry?” Clara asked.

“Why?” the Doctor asked.

“Boredom. I work in a shop. The customers aren’t my friends. I have forgiven my ex-boyfriend, but this is a small town. Everyone else is either married or close to it.”

“Yes, you can come. All of time and space! In that blue box.”

“Let me get some things.”

Shona entered the TARDIS after the Doctor and Clara. She looked at the impossibly large room that the small box led to. “It’s bigger on the inside!” She said excitedly.

“Yes,” the Doctor said as he approached the console.

“We’re going for the other two?” Clara asked.
    “Yes,” the Doctor answered. He placed his hands on the telepathic circuits. ‘Ashley!’ he thought.

25 December 2015
    Burnley, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    The TARDIS materialised outside a medium sized house. The Doctor, Clara and Shona exited it.

“Quick, inside!” the Doctor said.

Inside, they found that Ashley was already up and about. “Who are you?” she asked.

“UNIT Christmas Agents, Ensuring that no aliens invade like in the late noughties!” the Doctor said, holding up the psychic paper.

Ashley grabbed the paper. “There are no aliens here!” she said.

“That’s what you think,” the Doctor said.

“There was a sighting of a ship near this house,” Shona said.

“Those aboard may have come here, Ma’am,” Clara added.

“I doubt it,” Ashley said. She handed the psychic paper back to the Doctor. “Now get out of here!”

“We’re on our way right now,” the Doctor said.

The three re-entered the TARDIS.

“So, Fiona?” Shona asked.

“Yes,” the Doctor answered. He went to the console and again placed his hands in the telepathic circuits. ‘Fiona!’

25 December 2012
    Newcastle, England, UK
    The TARDIS materialised outside an apartment block. The Doctor, Clara and Shona emerged. “She’s somewhere in there,” the Doctor said.

“I’ll go,” Clara said.

“Be quick,” the Doctor said as he handed her the sonic screwdriver and the psychic paper.

Clara entered yet another apartment. ‘I hope this is the right one,’ she thought. She knocked on the door.

“Who’s there?” someone asked from within.

“Building Super’s assistant, Ma’am. Is Fiona there?” Clara asked.

“This is she,” came the voice. “What do you want?”

“Oh,” Clara said. ‘She’s out of the dream by herself, good! “Send the Super’s Christmas wishes, Ma’am.”

“Thanks, now you can go.”

Clara thought about the not-so-close encounter as she walked back to the TARDIS.

“So, she got out of the dream herself! That’s good. I knew that she would have that inner strength,” the Doctor said.

“How?” Clara asked as she and Shona followed him into the TARDIS.

“It’s a Time Lord thing, I just know,” the Doctor said as he closed the doors with a click.

“Time Lord?” Shona asked.

“That’s what I am, a Time Lord of Gallifrey. Only Gallifrey is lost. I have no idea where it’s gone.”

“So, we can get lost in time and space?” Shona asked.

“Yes, but the TARDIS knows where she is at all times. The reason why Gallifrey is lost is complicated,” the Doctor said as he set the ship in motion.

“Right,” Shona said.

2. USS Fardell

Chapter 1: Search for Legends Part 1
    TARDIS (Twelfth, with Clara and Shona)
    Shona re-entered the console room. She had been in the library. “Where are we headed?” she asked.

“It’s up to him,” Clara answered.

“Thing is, since I found out that Gallifrey wasn’t destroyed, I haven’t done anything about it,” the Doctor said.

“You thought it was destroyed?”

“Yes, there was a terrible War and the Time Lords were losing.”

“I see,” Shona said.

“There has to be evidence of where they went somewhere in the universe,” the Doctor said as he manipulated the console controls.

“You’re going to search the entire universe?” Clara asked incredulously.

“No, that’s ridiculous. Not even I could do that!” the Doctor said. He went to one of the blackboards, one that was clear of the equations that he had been working on since his regeneration. He drew a big circle, covering most of the board. “There is a subset, of the massive set that is the universe,” he added. He drew a much smaller circle in the middle of the larger one. “That is where we will be searching.”

“And that subset is?” Shona asked.

“Places with evidence of Time Lord activity, or records of Time Lord activity. Even legends of Time Lord activity.”

“That could just cover your activity,” Clara said.

“Or that of the Master or Mistress, I know,” the Doctor said. “Or even the Rani, the Meddling Monk or Romana.”

“The Master or Mistress?” Shona asked.

“A male Time Lord who regenerated into a female recently,” the Doctor answered. “My Nemesis.”

“Rani? Meddling Monk? Romana? You have more Time Lord enemies?” Clara asked.

“You still need to tell me what regeneration is,” Shona said. “It involves some kind of change?”

“No, the Rani and the Meddling Monk aren’t my enemies. And Romana was a friend,” the Doctor answered. He turned to Shona. “Put put it succinctly, when I’m near death, my body rejuvenates itself. Changes, you understand?”

“Yes,” Shona.

“A small number of Time Lords have the ability to swap sex upon regeneration,” the Doctor said.

“Have you?” Shona asked.

“No,” Clara said.

“Thanks, Clara. As she says, I haven’t. And I hope it doesn’t happen.”

Shona nodded.

The Doctor turned back to the blackboard. “Now, there would also be evidence of the early Time Lord explorations, and evidence of the Time War itself, not to mention the earlier time wars...”

Clara interrupted. “Earlier Time Wars?”

“It wasn’t called the Last Great Time War for nothing,” the Doctor said. “The Early Time Lords fought against the Great Vampires in one Time War. And the Carrionites in another, although that was legend.”

“Great Vampires?” Shona asked.

“They were fought in great ships called bowcasters. After that the Time Lords were at peace.”

“Right,” Clara said.

“...Back to it. There is plenty of evidence of the Time Lords if one knows where to look.”

“And you know where to look,” Clara stated.

“Yes. No, but there are places where the information would be found. We have to find those places.”

“So, we’re chasing legends and folklore?” Shona asked.

“May as well be a wild goose chase,” Clara added.

“It won’t be a wild goose chase. We will find Gallifrey,” the Doctor said.

“So, where are we going first?” Shona asked.

“A good starting place. Where Gallifrey should be.”

10-0-11-00:02 from Galactic Centre
    The TARDIS materialised in empty space. The Doctor opened the door.

“Wow! We’re in Space!” Shona said.

“Yes. Kasterborous,” the Doctor said.

“How are we keeping the air here?” Shona asked.

“An air shell,” the Doctor answered, as he looked at the scanner. “If you’ll look, you’ll notice that we’re in a double star system.”

“Quite bright,” Shona said as she shielded her eyes.

“Brighter than Earth’s sun,” the Doctor said. Shona closed the doors and came back to where the Doctor and Clara were looking at the scanner.

“Anything?” she asked.

“A better question would be ‘anything useful?’” the Doctor said.

“Anything useful?” Shona asked.

“I’m still trying to determine that,” the Doctor said.

“You didn’t investigate last time?” Clara asked.

“No, I was too angry,” the Doctor answered. He paused. “At the Mistress’ lie and at myself for falling for it!”

Clara placed her hand on his shoulder.

“Thanks,” he said.

Fifteen minutes later, there was a result. “As I expected,” the Doctor said.

“What?” Clara asked.

“Almost nothing,” the Doctor answered.

“Almost?” Clara asked hopefully.

“May as well be nothing,” the Doctor said.

“But it is something,” Clara prodded.

“It’s the quantum energy trace of the pocket universe of the stasis cube,” the Doctor said. “We know that Gallifrey is no longer there. It’s a different universe that they were in when they connected to Trenzalore.”

“I see,” Shona said.

“Would there be a way to trace to it from here?” Clara asked.

“No,” the Doctor answered.

“Well, I know where we’re going next,” Clara said.

“That’s impossible!” the Doctor said.

“You said that about me,” Clara said.
    “I was wrong then,”

“You could be wrong now.”

“Where are we going?” Shona asked, with a worried tone.

“Trenzalore,” Clara said.

“I rather be chasing the legends,” the Doctor said.

“Trenzalore, after we left. Could you trace the Crack?”

“Possibly,” the Doctor conceded. “But there would still be Daleks there!”

“Daleks?” Shona asked.

“Your worst nightmare,” the Doctor answered.

“Then land in the tower,” Clara suggested.

“Right, I’ll land in the tower.”

3. USS Fardell

Christmas, Trenzalore
    The TARDIS materialised in the tower less than a day after they had left during the Doctor’s regeneration.

The Doctor opened the doors, and scanned the wall where the Crack had been with the sonic screwdriver. “There’s a similar signature,” he said.

“That’s good, right?” Clara asked.

“Yes,” the Doctor answered.

“So, can you get to Gallifrey this way?” Shona asked.

“No,” the Doctor answered.

“No?” Clara asked.

“I would have noticed the Master or Mistress escaping while I was here. Besides he or she wouldn’t have wanted to run the gauntlet of the various forces attacking the planet.”

“Good point,” Clara said.

“Time for the legends then?” Shona asked.

“Not yet. One more stop,” the Doctor said,

“Where?” Clara asked.

“Orbit,” the Doctor answered.

“Ah, Tasha Lem!” Clara realised.

Church of the Papal Mainframe BattleCathedral Prime, in orbit of Trenzalore
    The TARDIS materialised in Tasha’s Shrine/Bedroom.

Tasha Lem was right there. She opened the TARDIS doors and entered. “You should not have come,” she said as she clicked the doors closed.

“Why not?” the Doctor asked.

“The Daleks are still here!”

“The Time Lords aren’t returning this way,” the Doctor said.

“Tell that to the Daleks.”

“Right,” the Doctor pondered.

“I know why you’re here. You have encountered the Mistress.”

“You know of the Mistress?” Clara asked.

“I have made it a point to know of the Doctor’s enemies. Besides, what she did influenced the formation of the Church.”

“I can see why,” Clara commented.

“What did she do?” Shona asked.

“Spoilers, it’s in the near future by your reckoning,” the Doctor warned.

“Is it bad?” Shona asked.

The Doctor turned to Shona. “Think about it, it’s your future. Do you really want to know?”

Shona gave it some thought. “Not really,” she said.

“I haven’t seen the Mistress, escaping or otherwise. Nor any other Time Lords,” Tasha explained.

“Not yet,” the Doctor said.

“I can’t keep the BattleCathedral here too much longer, Doctor. It has been here too long as it is. The reputation of the Church needs to be repaired.”
    “You’re going to leave Trenzalore to the Daleks?” Clara asked.

“There is no one left there now. Besides after you left, I managed to rescue a few. If they are to get to safety we’ll have to leave soon,” Tasha answered.

“We better be off then,” Shona said.

“Yes,” Clara agreed.

“Bye, Tasha,” the Doctor said, as Tasha exited the TARDIS.

“Where to now?” Clara asked.

“Now we start chasing the legends and folklore,” the Doctor said as he set the TARDIS in motion.

2 January 2019
    London, England
    The TARDIS materialised outside the Tower of London. The Doctor, Clara and Shona exited the ship.

“Why are we here?” Shona asked.

“This is the headquarters of UNIT,” The Doctor answered.

“The Unified Intelligence Taskforce?” Shona asked.

“Yes. They have one of the largest archives on the planet,” the Doctor said.

“Lead the way then,” Shona said.

Inside the Tower several silent alarms went off, as the TARDIS was detected outside.

Chief Scientific Officer Kate Stewart was immediately notified. “The Doctor, yes. But can you be more specific?”

Number Twelve, Ma’am, with Clara Oswald and another as yet unidentified companion.”

“Send them in,” Stewart said. She wondered what was happening. The world was still recovering from the incident with the Mistress.

A guard met the Doctor, Clara and Shona. “Officer Stewart will see you, Sir.”

“Thanks,” the Doctor said.

The three entered Stuart’s office.

“What is the purpose of this visit, Doctor?” Stewart asked.

“I need access to your archives,” the Doctor answered.

“For what reason?” Stuart asked.

“Research,” the Doctor answered.

“Researching what?” Stuart asked.

“Legends of Time Lord activity,” Clara answered.

“I see,” Stuart responded.

“The Mistress and I may not be the only Time Lords, who had visited Earth,” the Doctor explained, deciding to ignore the Meddling Monk and the Rani for the moment.

“Our archives are Classified, Doctor,” Stewart said.

“You’re not serious!”

“I am, Doctor.”

The Doctor sighed. “They could help with my search for Gallifrey,” he said.

“Are you sure?” Stewart asked.

“Of course I am!” the Doctor said.

“I would have to go to the Leaders. That would take time.”

The Doctor knew it would take time. Enough time for some crisis to emerge at least. “I see,” he said. However, he knew that the public records would hold some pertinent information.

“I will contact you when I receive the answer,” Stewart said.

“Understood,” the Doctor said.

Less than fifteen minutes later, the TARDIS was searching the internet for clues, but that would take time. There would be many red herrings (mainly legends taken out of context, and false positives generated by writers of speculative fiction). Therefore the Doctor then directed Clara to search the Coal Hill library for information while he and Shona gallivanted around London looking in various public libraries.

“Sure, Doctor, but it would take ages,” Clara said.

“Then recruit the History and Geography teachers and their students,” the Doctor suggested.
    Clara had, in fact thought about that. “It would still take ages,” she said. “But I will do that.”

Once Clara had left the TARDIS, the Doctor turned to Shona. “How are you, when it comes to research?” he asked.

“Its ages since I did my A Levels,” Shona complained.

“But did you do well?”

“Well enough, I suppose. I can do everything in that shop,” Shona said.

“That will have to do,” the Doctor mused, as similar memories of Rose came unbidden to his conscious mind.

3 January 2019
    Coal Hill School
    School had already returned from the Christmas Break on New Years’ Eve (although New Years Day itself was still a public holiday).

Clara entered the school early, in order to meet her friend, Kristy Thompson, one of Coal Hill’s history teachers. Kristy usually arrived at the school early, even for a teacher.

Clara was there before Kristy. ‘This is unusual,’ Clara thought. However, she knew that Kristy was one for routine, so she just had to wait until the usual time. Kristy arrived at 8:00 on the dot.

“Clara! This is a surprise, you don’t usually arrive until later,” Kristy said as she entered the staffroom.

“Hi, Kristy,” Clara said. “This is an unusual circumstance,” she added.

“Oh, this is the usual ‘unusual circumstance,’ isn’t it?” Kristy asked. She was one of the few colleagues of Clara’s who knew of her companionship to the Doctor.

“Oh yeah,” Clara answered.

“So you wanted to ask me something, or to do something?” Kristy said.

“Yes,” Clara answered.

“Fire away,” Kristy said.

Clara then told Kristy about the Doctor’s search for legends about Gallifrey.

4. USS Fardell

“I see,” Kristy said, once Clara had explained everything pertinent.

“You’ll help?” Clara asked.

“Yes,” Kristy answered.

“Cool,” Clara said.

“I know of two students who will be eager to help,” Kristy added. “They should be here soon.”

Amanda Kramer-Parry arrived at school early, as was her wont. “Miss Thompson?” she asked as she entered the classroom.

“Hi, Amanda,” Kristy said, from the back of the room. “I have a special project for you this week.”

“What kind of special project?” Amanda asked.

“I’ll tell you when Laurel gets here. She shouldn’t be long,” Kristy answered.

“Certainly,” Amanda said,

It wasn’t long before Laurel Howell arrived. “Hi, Amanda, Miss Thompson,” she said.

“You have a special project,” Kristy said.

“Which is this?” Laurel asked while Amanda rolled her eyes.

“Apparently, the Doctor and the Mistress are not the only Time Lords to visit Earth. I’d like you two to find evidence of any other Time Lords interfering in our history,” Kristy explained.

“Certainly, we will try,” Amanda said.

“Isn’t that a tall order?” Laurel asked.

“Huh?” Amanda asked.

“What?” Kristy asked.

“The Time Lords would have been too discrete,” Laurel pointed out.

“Not necessarily,” Kristy countered.

“They may have slipped up and revealed themselves,” Amanda added.

“Sure,” Laurel said, still not entirely convinced.

“First, we will find the known points in history where the Doctor interfered. That will help to eliminate the other points in history where that happened,” Kristy said.

“I can work with that,” Laurel said.

While this was happening, the Doctor was deep within the British Library... He had been scanning through the books for hints of strange activity that he wouldn’t have been involved in. However, something had come up to distract him.

“What’s that?” he asked the librarian.

“You are the Doctor, aren’t you?”

“Yes.”

“We have been doing some reorganisation as the collection grows...”

“And you’ve found strange twists in the layout of the shelves?” The Doctor knew where this was going. Sufficiently large collections of knowledge arranged in certain ways were liable to bend space and time.

“Yes, Doctor.”

“Take me to the place,” the Doctor directed.

“This way....”

The librarian led the Doctor to the area where the layout of the Library had become warped. The Doctor looked. It was certainly one of the things that the Dewey Decimal System had been devised to defeat.