Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice arena, Emher. Robert will have Arena envy though. He built one on his multiplayer server right next to my house, but yours blows it out of the water in terms of detail! How big is it?

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, that arena is way bigger than mine, but then I wasn't trying to make a regulation football stadium. ;)

3. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

Yes... but now what are you going to do with your giant stadium? Creeper football?

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Thanks! We're Five guys building it, four regularly, so when we all work together it goes pretty quick.

The field itself is as close to 1:1 we can get, where one block = one meter. The arena around is just how we think it should look. We'll do a vid of it and upload to youtube when we're done with it.
    Well, animals keep spawning on the field, can probably use that for something :lol:

6. Cutter John

Thats a sweet arena Emher!

Well 1.6 hit the streets this morning. So goodbye multiplayer for awhile. :( It also means I gotta reinstall all my textures. :p

Only played around with it for a few minutes. But I like the animation for the map. You can pan the camera down to look at it, or pan up to see where you're going. Thats a feature you don't see in a lot of fancier games.

7. Robert Maxwell

I haven't updated yet. I'm hoping by the time I get home there's a new CraftBukkit. ;)

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't count on it. There have already been 3 bug patches and people are still reporting major inventory bugs, so we could reach beta 1.6.4/5 before today is out. :lol:

Edit: Yup, we're up to 1.6.4!

9. Robert Maxwell

:lol: I love how this release was supposed to be all about fixing bugs and it is apparently worse than the 1.5 rollout.

10. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

so this update will it knacker the texture pack i'ver downloaded. i'm not using the defualt one and if so will the game automatically go to the default or main one?

11. Robert Maxwell

Any new items (hatches and maps) won't work until the texture pack is updated. I don't think the game switches back automatically.

Any items for which there's no texture I think just show up as a weird color.

12. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ They show up as invisible objects for me.

I need to get back in to Minecraft, I haven't been playing much lately. I think I just need to figure out a new project.

13. Robert Maxwell

Speaking of which, Dave, I was wondering if you mind me filling in the bit of the lake next to your castle? I don't know what I want to build there but it would be nice to have the real estate.

14. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Do you mean the one in front, by my mine? That'd be fine.

15. Robert Maxwell

You know that lake we kind of built our town around? I'm talking about that. There's a part next to your castle that I built a walkway across and I'm looking to fill in part of it. Maybe the whole thing, eventually. :p

16. Cutter John

Looking over the texturepack, there are really only three new items on it. The hatch, and two wierd shrublike things that nobodies figured out yet. Gonna try Photoshopping those today.

17. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

You sure about that? Why not just expand outwards like a city naturally would as it gets bigger? That lake adds some beauty to the city.

18. Robert Maxwell

Fiiiiiine. :p

19. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't played Minecraft for about a month, so I decided to give 1.6 a whirl:

• Beds are still bug riddled (random monster attacks and still resets the weather counter) so that's a big negative.
    • Maps put east on the top, which is annoying as all my cartographs are set to have north as the top and I'm used to thinking of my world that way. I'm hoping that this is some sort of bug and that Notch will fix the orientation, but some people think that this might have been intentional as maps used to be this way before sanity prevailed and Europe was put sitting on the rest of the world.
    • Hatches are useful. They certainly fit in better than a tiny room with a door when you want a ladder to the roof.
    • The most interesting thing that happened was that a large section of water that had been generated pre-biomes turned into ice.

Mostly, 1.6 seems to have fixed a bunch of small bugs that I barely even noticed while not fixing the main bugs I wanted sorted. Maybe in 1.7 :(

20. Cutter John

Robert - Awww, spare the lake! :p

One thing I hate is that the game added cool little bushes and clumps of weeds. But apparently they only appear on new worlds. Not ones that existed in 1.5. I ended up generating a new world, and they look great.