The Revolution pilot is online now...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Sep 4, 2012.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

He's needed a new job since loosing that ruler of the Underverse gig.

2. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

Strange setup with the accelerator. There are two tubes, both straight. I'm going to assume that whatever trick Randall pulled would need a lot of energy, and that you only get in the circular ones. The linear (stright) ones are used to accelerate particles into the circular ones, but having two is a little bit unnecessary, since they can't integrate with each other.

I'm even more confused with the conspiracy now that Randall obviously knew about the pendants, so they can't have been insurance for Ben and his friends, in case Randal went rogue. And what is Randall's end game? It can't be keeping the world dark, but he does seem to not want all the pendants in one basket, and therefore be used to light the world again. If he caused the blackout, he could be waiting for something, but I have no idea what.

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

It would seem obvious that Randal is working with (or planning to work with) one of the militias (unless he ha his own group) , for a power play. I don't think he is working with Monroe otherwise what would be the point of Monroe trying to find the pendants etc.. Maybe the plan was to thin the population out by having the militias fight each other for years, then give electricity to Randal's 'group' and take over the world. Monroe also want electricity to take over the world but he does not have the power to do that yet, Randal does.

4. sojourner

The sad part is, after 15 years with no power, most things won't work if power is restored anyway. unless from the beginning they have been doing maintenance, all that military equipment will have dry rotted. It's nearly as absurd as the Harriers in Battlefield: Earth still being operational.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought this was really good episode. We got some good stuff with Neville and his family, got some nice development for Nora, and I thought Strausser was a pretty good new villain. I'm very curious to find out what Randall is doing at a large hadron collider. I'm still thinking he's working for the as yet unseen group responsible for the blackout. I'm honestly not sure yet if they'll be the big bads or if it will continue to be Monroe even after we start to learn more about them.

6. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Ya and BE was 1000 years later too! LOL

Still Randal may have a stock pile of Military equipment stored away that will work. Keep in mind that he has electricity at his location, so maintenance can be keep up on that stuff.

7. sojourner

I was thinking of Munroe, not Randall. We don't really know Randall's situation yet.

8. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So where exactly was that lighthouse last week drawing its power from? Was it a battery powered lighthouse??!!

9. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

The generators downstairs where they were hiding powered on. You know, the ones powered by diesel and oil that somehow didn't corrode them after 15 years of sitting there unkept and rotting/rusting away.

10. sojourner

Because generators spontaneously power on with 15 year old batteries.

11. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

... And Iphone batteries can hold a charger or 15 years!!

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

mine rarely lasts the day! ;)

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't the batteries.

It was the planet.

Like if the little dutch kid took his finger out of the dyke.

A tiny pocket of zero resistance was created and all the denied potential electric charge in the world flooded on those 20 square feet for a few moments before everything gummed up from being gangbanged or the pendant unspun.

In theory.

14. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You people mock the power of the magic amulet at your own risk.

15. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finally saw last week's episode. Actually I think the series is getting somewhat decent. It's not perfect and they sure could use some better writers but with the addition of Colm Feore as Randall it's bound to get much better. He always plays for some reason a much more convincing bad guy than good guy.

As an aside, I loved his performance in Stephen King's Storm of the Century.

In any case, someone mentioned the problem with the generator suffering from dry rot. Is it possible that light house generators are fitted with more anti-corrosion resistant materials because of their proxmity to water - which would make the fact that it started more believalble. Regardless, I tend to discount those small inconsistencies. [remember as someone pointed in The Walking Dead thread] who's been cutting the grass at the prison over the past one year? Still hell of a show.

Revolution may not be on the same level as The Walking Dead but because it's on network television and they are much more limited on content that can be displayed I'm going to stick with this show through next year. Too bad we'll have to wait so long until 2013 episodes show up. I think NBC is making a mistake with that.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Not really. Sure, maybe more corrosion-resistent, but corrosion /= dry rot. And let an engine sit for 15 years, somewhat exposed to the weather, and you couldn't make that thing crank without a full rebuild. Also counting on the bearings for the rotating light to still work, bulb to have not blown/broken in a storm, power cable not chewed by rats, etc.

And that ignores the big question of how this is supposed to work in the first place. Looks like they're saying that there's a giant magical power suppressor that is creating the 'shit don't work' field. Makes sense, as then the amulet doesn't have to wirelessly PROVIDE power to these devices (which would need its OWN power source, plus have to get power to something that isn't configured to receive it wirelessly). So, now you've got a little bubble where the dampening field is off, and stuff COULD work.

What about it wasn't working? Did the mechanical parts of the generator always work, and just didn't spit out electricity at the end?

Either way, without firing this thing up every couple months or so, it wouldn't turn over if you hooked it to a nuclear reactor. After 15 years with no maintenance, and it was abandoned rather than carefully put away, you'd have zero chance of this being anything other than a heavy paperweight. batteries in an iPhone aren't even worth discussing, they barely hold a charge when unplugged for a few hours. Be a pretty impressive battery indeed to hold a charge for 15 years. I'd doubt you could get it to TAKE a charge after that long, even if the power came back on for good...

17. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't "losing a charge" over time also some form of electrical current? if those are suspended completely, wouldn't that also prevent a battery from losing it's power?

And if I have to rationalize away the decay of the lightning house, I'd say the militia made the cadets shrub it with toothbrushes every day.

18. DarthTom

I've fired up a lawn mower that's sat idle for several years.

But generally you're right. Like I said earlier these small inconsistencies don't get under my nerves any more than why the grass is cut at the prison in the Walking Dead.

BTW, did the inconsistencies in Trek drive you irk you as well? I was watching and old TNG episode Force of Nature and the species that was concnerned about warp field energy destroying their space and altering their plants gravity had an amazing piece of technology.

They could completely disable a star ship with their special vertaron [sp?] beams but that technology was never to be heard of or seen again when the enterprise is in battle and could have used the same technology to disable a combatant.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  19. sojourner

Damn, they had use of a great song and the director and writers wasted it. They should have gone all "Ron Moore" with that episode.

20. DarthTom

It's funny that Zeppelin was generous enough to loan their song to the series.