Khan #3 Review

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Villordsutch, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Again: Since Khan is narrating this whole thing, there's no reason to believe anything he says. As to why nobody else calls him on his lies: Maybe they're just doing a "smile and nod" thing, like they're humoring him until he finally shuts up.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Or their so impressed by his bullsh@$ting them that their seeing where he goes with it.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Or there could be a final twist ending that we won't see coming...

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Khan has a capacity for self-congratulation that knows few bounds. I've been smelling "unreliable narrator" here for a while, although it'll be interesting to finally learn where in the tale the deceptions actually were.

5. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I'm still interested in finding out how they explain Khan's radically different appearance in the movie. Wonder if they'll go with the plastic surgery theory?

6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems the most sensible one. Especially if Khan was telling the truth about his experiences after first waking up in Marcus' company.

7. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I wonder if they'll explain Khan's magic blood, you know, that can BRING PEOPLE BACK FROM THE FREAKING DEAD?!! There's a discussion going on in the Trek XI+ forum right now, explaining how stupid it is.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

All we really know is that the blood could reverse certain types of damage such as radiation poisoning, and only if administered reasonably soon after clinical death occurs (remember, McCoy ordered Kirk's body placed in stasis as soon as he realized the possibilities). That's not entirely unreasonable. It's already possible to revive people who've been clinically dead for several minutes. And we know that Trek medical science is even more advanced. It tends to be forgotten that the first season of TNG portrayed it as advanced enough to reverse recent death in multiple cases, such as Yareena in "Code of Honor" and the cryosleep subjects in "The Neutral Zone." This was largely overlooked in later seasons, though.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm fascinated by such technology existing in the 1970's. It makes me think of the theory put forth in Watching the Clock (although I wonder if it could be some of the first technology from the Timeship Aeon's memory banks that Henry Starling sold?)

10. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Some medical practitioners have recently been talking about potential revival hours after death, at least in the right conditions. I don't know whether they're being overly zealous or not, but some of them seem to think we're getting close.

I'm surprised people in the Trek 'verse don't enter stasis on their death beds, actually, and wait to be revived when the immortality serum/miracle cure-all finally gets made.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Or just use the transporter to cure all/de-age/xerox an army of clones etc.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I recall a conversation from 1979 when I was told that "colorization" of old TV shows and movies was "stupid" and would never be practical or affordable.

I recall being boggled at the concept of a 3D printer (replicator?) till I saw one in use last January. And already they have become smaller and more affordable.

And just a few months ago a work colleague's decade-long troublesome ligament was "cured" with a tiny amount of serum distilled from a pint of her own blood, in a successful clinical trial, which is now being written up in medical journals.

We can only imagine what the 23rd century will bring.

13. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Pulaski thought she had a chance at the immortality serum before the Meta-Genome data was wiped, and the crew of the Therin can make transporter duplicates now, so the Federation Immortal Clone Army is surely right around the corner. ;)

Khan would quite like that, I imagine. So long as he was leading it.

14. Therin of Andor

My people are clever! :techman:

Mind you, the Arcturians were cloning troops way back in TMP's era. ;)

15. sulfur

sulfur Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

16. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Well, maybe not "stupid", but certainly "wrong"! ;)

17. Mr. Laser Beam

WRONG! Colorization of movies IS stupid. NEXT ISSUE! On a scale of 1 to 14, 14 being absolute metaphysical certitude and 1 being fairly likely, what are the chances of Khan being a reliable narrator?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  18. Therin of Andor

Well, the colorized early seasons of "Bewitched" boxed DVD sets sell many more copies than the b/w version.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Which absolutely does not make it right.

20. Therin of Andor

I didn't say it was right or wrong, but it wasn't stupid that the owners of "Bewitched" were able to find a way to continue selling its early seasons to new audiences. In the US, they offered both b/w and color, and the colour eps outsold the b/w's.