Female Doctor Poll!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by bryce, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Would you be okay with a female Doctor?

1. I am okay with a female Doctor. (The Doctor's gender could be Wibbley-Wobbly!)

56.1%
  2. I would not be okay with a female Doctor. (The Doctor's maleness is a Fixed Point!)

32.5%
  3. I don't really have any strong feelings either way. (Fish-fingers and Custard!)

11.4%
  1. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How do you feel about a female Doctor on "Doctor Who"?

OOPS! I got distracted by a picture of Karen Gillian in a bikini, and messed-up the poll options...I got the bit in brackets backwards, and now I can't change them. Can a mod maybe help me?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it would cheapen the integrity of the series by making the once great principle character a tacky, gawdy, anti-intellectual, tabloid headine grabbing gimmick worthy of Russell T. Davies at his most insane.

But I bet plenty will think it'd be camp and funny.

3. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Aren't the parentheticals on the first 2 options switched??

4. bryce

Yes. I realized it as soon as I posted it, and now I can't change it. I'm hoping a mod can, or at least re-word them to read "The Doctor's gender *isn't* ______" - because this way someone could easily get confused and answer wrong.

Just my luck. *sigh*

5. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

You may be able to edit that...

6. bryce

Note: I'm not asking if you think that there *should* be a female Doctor. One could like the idea, but not necessarily think that it would work on TV or should be done.

I'd be okay with a female Doctor. Part of me even wants to see one. But at the same time, it would be SO EASY to mess up. And I worry that it would hurt the show's ratings. Though like I said, I don't really care about the people who would quit watching the show just because they made the Doctor female...but it could hurt the ratings, and that would be bad.

I would rather have the Doctor played by a black actor the next time. I think that could work, and the Doctor has already said that he can change skin-color, and isn't always white (in "The Sarah Jane Adventures: The Death of the Doctor pt2")...though that might pose some issues when the Doctor traveled to a time/place in the past where race was an issue. Though I think the producers would probably just ignore it (just like they ignore how odd Jenny & Vastra & Strax would be in Victorian London) - but it could make for some compelling stories if they didn't ignore it. Then again, it could also make for some preachy and cringe-worthy stories if they did make it an issue. But I think that's just a challenge, and not a reason never to have a black Doctor.

But I guess you could say the same about a female Doctor being a challenge - so I would be totally okay if the next Doctor is female.

7. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

No one will be able to edit the poll. You'll either have to live with it or ask a mod of this forum to close this thread so you can start a new one with the right poll options. On the other hand, it's pretty likely that people will read the first post in this thread and thus vote correctly.

8. bryce

Drats! Well, I dunno...what do you think is best?

I feel bad I messed up, and I hate having to ask to close the poll...but it is kinda confusing too...

I'll leave it up to the mods.

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm okay with the idea of a female Doctor.

I would not be okay with Steven Moffat as the writer to develop a female Doctor. If he could take the strongest female character in the Sherlock Holmes Canon (Irene Adler) and reduce her to a Pussy Galore wannabe, I have no faith in his ability to take one of the most enduring characters of the last half-century into uncharted gender territory.

10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Just start a new thread. No biggie.

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Why not? There have been fan films with female Doctors since at least the eighties. Since we're talking a weird alien regeneration process anyway, what's a couple of X chromosomes between friends?

Is it too early to nominate Jaime Murray as the new Doctor? She's already played H.G. Wells, so what's another time-traveling British sf icon of unexpected gender?

12. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

I felt completely the opposite about Adler. She was awesome and that was the best episode of the show so far.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Surely this was all sorted out 14 years ago with Joanna Lumley comparing her sonic screw driver to a vibrator?

14. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted "I am okay with a female Doctor", but that doesn't fit my opinion very well. It would be more accurate for me to say that it would be freaking awesome to have a female Doctor. Make it so, Moffat!

15. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

Do I have a problem with a female doctor? No.

Do I think it would harm the show? Yes.

I've nothing against strong female characters on TV, hell Xena is one of my favourite shows of all time, but this would be such a huge game-changer and smack of just trying to be trendy or off-the-wall just for the sake of it.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would love a female doctor, but I think in general I would just love more strong female actresses anyway. One example is I just finished watching Season 1 of Orphan Black. Before this show, I had no idea who Tatiana Maslany was, nor did I know anything about the show. 10 episodes later I want her to be nominated for 2 Emmy awards for best actress (Sarah Manning) and best supporting actress (Alison Hendricks). She was that great and it was an absolute thrill to watch her work, and be a strong female actress in a format that is dominated by male actors. Find another Tatiana-type actress to play the doctor and you don't have to worry about casting the Doctor a female actress because of the whole sexist thing. Let the work speak for itself.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  17. Guy Gardener

They had a female Inspector in Inspector Space Time, and she sucked, not because she was a woman, but because she sucked.

18. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no problem with a female Doctor, just as I have no problem with a black Doctor, so long as there's someone who can play the part well, and from either angle I can think of four or five people who I'd be happy to see give it a try.
    20-odd years ago I'd have felt differently, but that was probably more because black and female actors weren't getting roles that let them show themselves to be potential Doctors. Increasingly, they are.
    But a definite no, no, no to Lara Pulver. At least, not until she's past 50. Helen Mirren now, yes. Helen Mirren in 1970, god no.

19. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would be more than fine with a female Doctor!

20. Guy Gardener

I have some very fond memories of Helen in Caligula.