90s horror

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by byron lomax, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Hellraiser 3 was campy fun with a pre DS9 Terry Farrel :) Hellraiser: (4) Bloodline was in 1996 set in the past and in space not as good as the others though.

Speaking of 80's sequels we had Friday the 13th 9 in 1993 and Nightmare on Elm St. 6 in 1991.

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jacob's Ladder, Flatliners, Stephen King's IT miniseries and parts of Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (The Lover's Vow segment) all scared out of me when I was growing up in the 90s. The opening intro theme from Tales of the Darkside television show was pretty freakin' scary as well.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnE3-0X-174[/YT]

Honorable mentions for great 90s horror movies were Event Horizons and Stir of Echoes.

3. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

That was a fun movie though I wouldn't consider it horror, even if it has fun, jumpy moments. Seven is probably applicable, as Silence of the Lambs is, though I haven't seen it in years.

Hmmm. This one didn't really work for me - I simply wasn't scared. I do commend its success, though.

Walken put in a great performance in this, though the ending felt a bit like an anti-climax. Good film overall though.

Stir of Echoes wasn't too bad. If you liked Jacob's Ladder, I recommend you check out the deleted scenes (all three are on Youtube) if you haven't already.

I know I'll need to check out Exorcist III now....

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Stir of Echoes (which is based on a novel by Richard Matheson) is underrated. Unfortunately, it had the bad luck to come out a few weeks after The Sixth Sense, which basically ate its lunch.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love this movie... but was afraid to admit it.

7. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking as a fan of both Freddy and Jason, I like to pretend that neither of those 90's films exist. Nightmare on Elm Street 5 from 1989 also doesn't exist. Freddy's Dead was bad, but NoES 5 is boring, something a horror film should never be... especially when coming from an established, heavily popular franchise.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare is awesome, however. :techman:

8. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

I like Freddy and Jason, too, though I'll admit most of their movies aren't very good. It's mostly nostalgic.

I ignore Jason Goes to Hell. It's a really dumb movie (even for a Friday the 13th flick), and the Jason design has to be one of the worst in the series.

Edit: Heh. Just realized I still have my Jason avatar from two Fridays ago. :lol:

9. byron lomax

An excellent movie, and I considered including it, but I think it's more distinctly sci-fi than horror. The only thing I didn't really buy was one character's progression to being a threat to the others.

Sixth Sense is a good film, but it's the one I like least on my original list. Personally, I thought The Others (which came out a few years later) was better and a somewhat more "believable" take on a similar idea.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

FWIW, http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/224/review classifies Cube as "sci-fi/horror" - a classification I agree with. YMMV.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah it's a really good film. Is it Viggo Mortenson as Satan?

"All those years you were scared I was under your bed...and I was!" :devil:

Blair Witch scared the hell out of me. I can understand why people don't like it, but it's one of those films that's truly unsettling.

The Sixth Sense, I think a lot of the ghost stuff is very well handled, what lets it down is that I twigged the twist about 30 seconds in. Still a good film though.

The Other's is a very good film, and again it's unsettling more than anything else, wonderful atmospheric setting.

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Yes, it is Viggo playing Lucifer. He does the part well. Walken is great in all three of the films he was in. But, it's Lucifer saving the day that makes this film for me. My uni had a theater nearby which used to run double features, this would have been a delight to see on their big screen with Kevin Smith's Dogma.

13. byron lomax

Well, I watched Exorcist III. I was pretty impressed - some of the effects were dated and didn't work, but the movie built tension nicely, and the scene with the nurse was just brilliant. Dourif was just fantastic, as I expected. The exorcism at the end was a bit over the top, but I liked Scott's "I believe" speech.

Emperor-Tiberius likes this.
  14. byron lomax

Still seeking out 90s horror, and recently watched Kyua ("Cure") a weird Japanese horror/thriller by Kioboshi Kurosawa, who later directed the eerie but uneven Pulse. This film was a good deal better, IMO, and features a detective investigating a series of murders where an "X" is carved on the victim's neck. Creepy and very bizarre.

15. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dark City might be a film to consider. It is not really a horror movie - more a thriller with a blend of science fiction and film noir - but it does have some horror elements.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

As I recall, that final exorcism was added by the studio after the fact, because they thought the original finale wasn't flashy enough . . . .