Spoilers TNG, DS9, and VOY - Where is a Good Place to Start?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tomalak301, Mar 28, 2014.

1. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well I finished the Myriad Universe (book2). Oh my gosh, hands down one of the best books of Trek I have read. I loved it, but I am going to review each story:

The Chimes At Midnight: This story covers from II-VI of the movies, but without Spock. I absolutely loved this story. Definitely my favorite story of the group. All the characters were perfectly written. Author Geoff Towbridge. Grade A+

A Gutted World: This story covers the Dominion War but from a perspective of Bajor never being liberated from Cardassia. Absolutely loved this story. Not sure about the Scotty part, but it does work for the most part. And I can probably see Sisco/Scotty tension. This is my only real quibble. Author KRAD. Grade A

Brave New World: This story covers Data and the idea of Androids having rights. I thought the story was well written, a little predictable and felt a little too much the themes of Voyager and the Doctor. But it is still good story. I am not a huge Data fan though. I did find the Wesley/Lal interactions entertaining. Lore appears and is perfectly written. Author Chris Roberson. Grade B+

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of the Myriad Universe stories The Chimes of Midnight is one of my favorite stories from book 2.I liked all of the books in that series the stories are all well written stories. I wouldn't mind seeing more Myriad Universe stories come out someday.

3. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I recently finished the 2nd Book of the Words of Deep Space 9 series, on my way of making it through the DS9r.
    I was really disappointed with the first book in this series (the Andor story specifically), however this book dealing with Trill and Bajor was very good and kept my attention. One major plot point
    I actually thought thought the breakup of Bashir and Ezri was handled well and made sense , the breakup seemed realistic to me
    . I know some might not agree on that plot move behind the spoiler. Also the Jake story was very good and made sense, really feels like a continuation of the Rising Son book. Also really neat some very forgettable characters return in the Bajor story. In the end this was a very enjoyable read and I liked both stories.

I am about to finish the third book of this series so I will get my thoughts up on that book soon too!

I took break from Trek books earlier this year to do some readings from that other Star franchise. I should be posting more to this thread going forward.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know it's just talk until I actually do it, but I'm trying to get back into the DS9 novels this year and finally started Worlds of DS9 Volume 1 tonight. Can't really say too much only two chapters in, other than I'm a little confused as to what O'Brian is doing on Cardassia. Wasn't he head of Starfleet Academy, with a side trip to help deal with the parasite crisis. I guess this is what is meant but reading everything to get the backstory, which is overwhelming. Maybe this book might elaborate on that confusion the deeper I get into it.

5. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Destiny I found was a good place to start.
    That or the Titan series.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure I remember there being references to the O'Briens going to Cardassia before The Lotus Flower, but I can't remember for sure where it was first established.

7. tomalak301

According to memory beta, one of the Corp of engineers books. I thought it would be briefly mentioned in chapter 2 of Worlds.

8. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

O'Brien was hardly head of the Academy, just one of the teachers. The first mention of the family moving to Cardassia was in the previous DS9 novel Unity - the family had come to Bajor just to do a favour for Sisko's dad by bringing him there after both Ben and Jake had disappeared. The parasite business wasn't the reason they were there, it just happened to happen at the same time. It was while they were dealing with that that Keiko revealed she had been offered the job leading the reclamation project on Cardassia.

The idea behind the plot turn, as I understand it, was to turn the Miles-Keiko dynamic on its head by making him move to somewhere he didn't want to but was supporting her because she got a big job opportunity - the reverse of what happened in "Emissary".

O'Brien does also feature in the SCE story Aftermath. It's a while since I read it but I seem to recall some minor inconsistency in when the announcement of the move was made or when the move took place. But nothing that can't be waved away.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, Aftermath explains why Keiko and Miles relocate to Cardassia, and then Unity offered an incompatible depiction of the same thing. Several of us dropped the ball on that one -- Marco and S.D. Perry were both distracted by becoming parents around that time, and I didn't do my part to reach out to Danelle and make sure we were on the same page, because I was still new at this and didn't have the confidence. So the inconsistency didn't get fixed.

10. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

SCE stories are not my favorites. There other inconsistencies. I'm still not sure if Katherine Pulaski has a daughter or not. She has several ex-husbands if I'm not mistaken. But there weren't any children mentioned.

11. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

A DS9 comic featured Pulaski having a daughter who was a member of the Maquis.

12. tomalak301

Thanks for the correction. It's been a while since I read Unity but I do remember OBrian coming to DS9 for a favor. Also thanks for the clarification, guys, because Obrian being on Cardassia feels kind of odd in the early going. Thought I missed something. ;)

13. tomalak301

I've been trying a few times to get through Worlds of DS9 and it's been pretty hard to do so. Because of that, and because a podcast network just talked about this book on Sunday, I decided to check out Voyager's Homecoming. I'm only a few chapters into it and it's good so far. I do kinda wish they would have slowed down on the coming home part though. In a way I've been waiting since 2001 to find out what happens after they get home and I get this feeling like I want to read some deleted scenes version of this book.

For example, there was a scene where Seven says she has already been debriefed. Wait, what? You mean that one of the biggest questions people had coming out if Endgame was only addressed in a 45 minute conversation and that conversation was mentioned with a talk between her and the doctor. Man I wanted to be a fly on the wall for any Starfleet talk with seven. Heck I would have spent the day with her as kind of a day in the life experiment.

14. tomalak301

I finished Homecoming tonight, and honestly, I thought it was ok but a little choppy and a little rushed. I am planning to read Farther Shore, but I wish the first few chapters were about the homecoming, and then the last maybe 5 chapters featured the holostrike/borg virus stuff. I've always been curious about what happened after Voyager got home, yet in this novel, it feels like an afterthought.

Also,in regards to the holograms. I was bothered by that too and it just adds to my question about what happens in utopia so people don't get bored. Also, this Holographic uprising kind of proves Picard's point about raising a race to a form of slavery. Also, I would hate to live in the 24th century if it was that boring for the general population.

15. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

TNG - Resistance
    DS9 - Avatar
    VOY - Homecoming
    ENT - The Good that Men Do

For TOS it doesn't matter.