ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Allyn Gibson, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I just thought, whatever happened to Fiona? Is her plotline dropped, or why haven't we seen her in the last five episodes?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I take it you didn't see the preview for next week's episode.

3. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

No, I didn't, so thanks for the heads-up.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Dammit - missed this last one! Something preempted an earlier show and the thing started 40 minutes late. It sounded like a really good ep too. Guess I'll have to go find it on-demand now. :mad: :scream:

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Elementary has been renewed for a fifth season. The ratings were such this season that most media watchers assumed this season would likely be its last. Thankfully, that's proven not to be the case. :)

6. Christopher

I just hope they manage to bring Moriarty and Kitty back for the final season. I assume Natalie Dormer has been busy with that thing with the thrones, but the show is missing something without Moriarty. And it'd be good to see Kitty's arc continued before the series ends.

7. Allyn Gibson

It's been a matter of scheduling with bpth actresses. One can hope. :)

8. Christopher

Yes, I know. That's the problem. It's frustrating when characters who should still be present in the show have to be left out because of actors' unavailability.

9. Allyn Gibson

At least we have good, in-universe reasons for their absence -- Jamie Moriarty is in prison, Kitty is a fugitive from the NYPD.

I kinda like Moriarty as a behind-the-scenes presence. If she could orchestrate the death of the drug kingpin who threatened Joan from prison, I wonder how she'll react to the possibility of Sherlock finding love with Fiona.

Scratch that. I don't think that Jamie would be a jealous type. She's in prison, and she knows it would be unfair to keep him unhappy and deprive him of the possibility of happiness. And if, somehow, she were free and she could have Sherlock in her life, I feel that they would have some sort of polyamorous arrangement anyway. So long as Fiona doesn't make Sherlock unhappy, I'm sure she'll be fine.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I just saw the superhero episode tonight and knew who the killer was immediately due to the casting. The killer was played by the actor who was a recurring villain on Castle. He seems to play the villain more often than not.

11. Christopher

Must be from after I stopped watching Castle. I didn't recognize him. Although it's fitting that it should be a Castle actor, since that's one of the prime examples of a mystery show where you can guess the killer from the casting.

12. Kane2026

Kane2026 Lieutenant Red Shirt

The fact that Elementary ditched Moriarty, Kitty and Mycroft made season 4 awkward to watch. Sadly, the show feels to formulaic. About a third way into an episode you can usually guess who is responsible. The dynamic between Sherlock and Joan is also too often a hit and miss.I hope there will be a season 5, but I also hope it will be the shows last.

13. Christopher

^The show has already been renewed for season 5, and showrunner Robert Doherty has said he hopes to bring Kitty back in the first half, if possible.

14. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I'm one of the few people who actually didn't like the Mycroft or Kitty characters/stories. I was glad when they each left the show. It wasn't that I was opposed to the concept of adding such characters, I just didn't like those ones in particular. I never bought Mycroft and Joan being interested in each other, that really threw off the whole thing to me. And Kitty just seemed like an unnecessary character, distracting from the far more interesting Sherlock-Watson dynamic.

However, I would love to see more Moriarty.

15. Christopher

I'm kinda disappointed. Last week's ending gave us hope that we'd see Moriarty again, but this week she's summarily dismissed as the culprit and a substitute mastermind is invented. I imagine it would've gone differently had Natalie Dormer's schedule been more open. On the plus side, the substitute mastermind is Tony Curran, and he gets to use his real accent. And at least Moriarty's presence is felt behind the scenes, befitting the episode title "The Invisible Hand." Still, I'm hoping this is all a setup for a revelation that she's the real mastermind after all, that she deliberately timed her correspondence to mislead Sherlock.

Nice rooftop scene with the Holmes boys. Lovely foggy cityscape behind them. They got lucky capturing that vista.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I missed two of the previous episodes (they're on my DVR), so I may be stating something obvious, but I don't think Morland is being targeted out of some misplaced sense of revenge by Moriarty's followers, I think he is himself another member of the Moriarty organization engaged in the power struggle with other wannabe heirs to running the organization, and that was the "war" which Victner stepped in to conclude and take control of the organization himself. The war began soon after Moriarty's imprisonment with the assassination of Morland's girlfriend and continued with the attack on Morland's residence and entourage in this episode, both of which sent him the message that he could be reached no matter where he went and how much security he had. Morland possesses all the qualities of prior Moriarty organization members in spades and with his international connections would be too important to kill, so they're forced to threaten and kill those around him, except for Sherlock and Joan who are off limits.

17. Christopher

^Ooh, neat theory.

18. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I hadn't considered that Morland may have worked for Moriarty, but I had assumed that the season would end with Morland taking over Moriarty's organization (possibly after Sherlock gives up the name of the current leader of the organization--leading to extra guilt from Sherlock over what Morland may do with that organization).

19. Allyn Gibson

I had almost the same thought last night during the episode, especially since Sherlock never questioned why Victner wanted Morland dead. Morland would find the Moriarty organization quite useful in his line of work, but I thought he might have been trying for a (hostile) takeover of an organization he wasn't originally a part of, one that he learned of off-stage after the events of season one, that would further his aims. Sherlock has a blind spot where his antipathy toward his father is concerned, and this has resulted in Sherlock not even bothering with the motive for the assassination attempts.

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  20. Christopher

Given how smart and connected Morland is, it does seem odd that he professes to have had no prior inkling of the existence of Moriarty/Vikner's organization. How could someone who travels in similar gray areas of international business and commerce have no knowledge of the Napoleon of Crime or her apparatus? It would make sense if he were hiding his foreknowledge.

I'm disappointed that Joshua Vikner (I checked, that's the correct spelling) doesn't seem to be based on an extant character from the Holmes mythos. I guess they've pretty much used up all the major villains by now -- Moriarty, Sebastian Moran, Charles Augustus Milverton, Adelbert Gruner, the Hound of the Baskervilles culprit, etc.