Shatner Starts New Website
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Rumor Mill: Star Trek III Title
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Siddig: Getting And Playing The Role Of Martell
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Mulgrew: Why Born With Teeth
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 24 2014, 09:41 AM   #16
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: RIP James Rebhorn

It isn't one of his meatier roles, but it's hard for me not to think of him as the D.A. in the finale of Seinfeld.

R.I.P.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 09:23 PM   #17
Foxhot
Fleet Captain

Rebhorn's character in INDEPENDENCE DAY survives, but he's conspicuously missing from the end celebration. Rather like Paul Gleason vanishing just before the final terrorist attacks in DIE HARD.

Rebhorn was also movingly good in his bit part in LORENZO'S OIL....
Old March 24 2014, 10:21 PM   #18
tighr
Commodore

foxhot wrote: View Post
Rebhorn's character in INDEPENDENCE DAY survives, but he's conspicuously missing from the end celebration.
Well sure he survives, but unlike the countless millions of people who died in the alien attacks, Nimzicki was fired! He's probably off in the corner sulking.
Old March 24 2014, 11:45 PM   #19
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Deadline.com posted an obit written by James Rebhorn. Here's the text of it.

James Robert Rebhorn was born on Sept. 1, 1948, in Philadelphia, PA. His mother, Ardell Frances Rebhorn, nee Hoch, loved him very much and supported all his dreams. She taught him the value of good manners and courtesy, and that hospitality is no small thing. His father, James Harry Rebhorn, was no less devoted to him. From him, Jim learned that there is no excuse for poor craftsmanship. A job well done rarely takes more or less time than a job poorly done. They gave him his faith and wisely encouraged him to stay in touch with God.

He is survived by his sister, Janice Barbara Galbraith, of Myrtle Beach, SC. She was his friend, his confidant, and, more often than either of them would like to admit, his bridge over troubled waters. He is also survived by his wife, Rebecca Fulton Linn, and his two daughters, Emma Rebecca Rebhorn and Hannah Linn Rebhorn. They anchored his life and gave him the freedom to live it. Without them, always at the center of his being, his life would have been little more than a vapor. Rebecca loved him with all his flaws, and in her the concept of ceaseless love could find no better example.

His children made him immensely proud. Their dedication to improving our species and making the world a better place gave him hope for the future. They deal with grief differently, and they should each manage it as they see fit. He hopes, however, that they will grieve his passing only as long as necessary. They have much good work to do, and they should get busy doing it. Time is flying by. His son-in-law, Ben, also survives him. Jim loved Ben, who was as a son to Jim, especially through these last months. His aunts Jean, Dorothy and Florence, numerous cousins and their families, and many devoted friends also survive Jim. He loved them all, and he knows they loved him.

Jim received his BA at Wittenberg University and his MFA at Columbia. He was a member of Lambda Chi Alpha Nu Zeta 624, a life-long Lutheran, and a longtime member of both the AMC and ACLU.

Jim was fortunate enough to earn his living doing what he loved. He was a professional actor. His unions were always there for him, and he will remain forever grateful for the benefits he gained as a result of the union struggle. Without his exceptional teachers and the representation of the best agents in the business, he wouldn’t have had much of a career. He was a lucky man in every way.

–Jim Rebhorn, March 2014
Old March 25 2014, 03:02 AM   #20
Locutus of Bored
The Droid You're Looking For

Rather like Paul Gleason vanishing just before the final terrorist attacks in DIE HARD.
What do you mean? McClain refused to deal with him on the radio anymore, insisting on only talking to Powell, but Robinson was still around the whole time and made multiple appearances from his arrival to the end of the film. He ordered the armored car/SWAT attack and complained about the glass from the C4 explosion McClain caused. He said McClain "just let him die" when Hans shot Ellis. He said "I guess we're gonna need some more FBI guys" when Hans blew the roof and the helicopter. He was there to say "I hope that's not a hostage" when Hans fell from the building. And he confronted McClain before Karl came running out of the building and Powell shot him at the end. What part did he vanish from?
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 01:46 PM   #21
Foxhot
Fleet Captain

Gleason disappears the instant before Reginald Veljohnson kills Alexander Godunov. I suspect he MAY have been disposed of the original draft, if not the original cut, as his character IS killed by Karl at the end of Roderick Thorp's noel, used as a shield by Veljohnson's. I sense a connection. It's the only real reason why he would just disappear, besides him being not worthy.
Old March 25 2014, 04:05 PM   #22
Locutus of Bored

Gleason disappears the instant before Reginald Veljohnson kills Alexander Godunov. I suspect he MAY have been disposed of the original draft, if not the original cut, as his character IS killed by Karl at the end of Roderick Thorp's noel, used as a shield by Veljohnson's. I sense a connection. It's the only real reason why he would just disappear, besides him being not worthy.
He didn't disappear like an apparition or a trick of editing. He ducked behind other people because a crazed European ballet dancer with a machine gun came screaming out of the exploded building and pointed the gun in his general direction. They show him pushing past other people to get out of the line of fire.

The clip below is poor quality, but you can quite clearly see Robinson (Gleason) pulling back into the crowd to get away before Karl tries to kill McClain.

I don't know, maybe the version you saw was some edited for TV version where he was removed from the scene, but in the movie itself, Robinson doesn't disappear, he's shown trying to get out of the line of fire by hiding behind other people.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Old March 25 2014, 06:08 PM   #23
Foxhot
Fleet Captain

I'm going by the 1988 theatrical release. Robinson is not heard nor seen after the moment we've both mentioned. The voice ordering cops to check for anyone else is much different from Gleason's.

That's not to say they filmed his death from the novel. But it might indicate they considered it. The trouble is, it's not very heroic for a police officer to use his superior as a shield. In the end, they went for straight heroism.

Since Robinson has disappeared from that point, I still tend to wonder.

Last edited by Foxhot; March 25 2014 at 10:07 PM.
Foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 06:28 PM   #24
Locutus of Bored

Well, I don't really want to continue this discussion in the thread about Mr. Rebhorn's death, but I'll just leave you with the fact that you pushed back the moment Gleason "disappeared" with each subsequent post of yours. First it was before the final attack, then it was before Powell shoots, and now you have it after Powell shoots.

But after Powell shoots the movie lasts what, another minute? Minute and a half? Is it really that surprising that he wouldn't be hanging around after cowardly using other people as human shields to protect himself, almost getting punched by John, and almost getting shot by Karl?

There's nothing in the film to indicate he was supposed to die, and his character is explicitly shown escaping the attempted shooting, so clearly that was not their intent to have him be killed as they were filming. Nothing was edited out.

Plus, it would totally undercut Al's heroic "I can kill again, Topper; you've given me a reason to live!" moment if he didn't react fast enough to save the deputy chief, dickhead though he may be.
Old March 25 2014, 08:04 PM   #25
bbailey861
Admiral

View bbailey861's Twitter Profile

A very good character actor, James Rebhorn's self penned obit is probably a very good indicator of his own character. R.I.P.
bbailey861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 10:24 PM   #26
Foxhot
Fleet Captain

During the attack he disappears. Godunov visually outlasts Gleason. Gleason is shown reacting with Veljohnson as Godunov attacks, but he is not shown escaping the attempted shooting. Locutus's posted cut seems identical to the 1988 version anyhow. Bottom line: keep the interfering antagonists (Rebhorn, Gleason, etc.) out of the final moments of crowd-pleasing movies for maximum fun.