The Male Skirts from Season 1

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by EnriqueH, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm, I don't know. I'll defend the season 3-7 outfits until the cows come home from up in the hills, and I'll grant you that the DS9/VOY outfits certainly scored points on function, but I found the design to be too casual. On the other hand, one might see the DS9/VOY uniforms as the distillation compromise between the casual unitard of TNG season one, and the more formal style of seasons 3 to 7.

The First Contact uniforms don't do anything for me. :shifty: :p :lol:

2. CaptJaneway

CaptJaneway Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I remember seeing the skirt on a particularly fit extra once and thinking, "Oh my, there is Ensign Sexylegs." It was some nice male objectification to balance out a little bit of Yeoman Rand in TOS. :rommie:

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Judy Carne was the other young woman similarly attired, usually saying "Sock it to me" and getting doused with a bucket of water. She'd been an actress in other shows though, so Laugh-in didn't help her career as much as it did Goldie.

This get me to thinking though. There have been cases of mostly game shows being licensed for production in other countries. Maybe Germany, Italy, or France could produce a licensed Star Trek that speaks more to Europeans. Japan might turn licensed Star Trek into a pure kids show, given how they seemed to do sci-fi in the 60s.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

William Ware Theiss, in consultation with Roddenberry.

Theiss worked on the TOS mini (created only when Grace Lee Whitney complained about having to wear Sally Kellerman's pants for her first TOS photoshoot!), costumes for "Phase II" and then the Starfleet look for TNG.

Robert Fletcher (TMP), in an interview with a UK magazine, also mentions Roddenberry's input on the short skirts for civilian men (and women) in the San Francisco scenes.

Both the TOS mini and the TNG skant had one leg wrapped with fabric.

5. Melakon

The TOS miniskirt was a one-piece? I'd always thought those matching short-shorts were separates. Guess it would reduce lines in the skirt though.

6. Starborn Dragon

Starborn Dragon Captain

I hated those things. Guys should not wear skirts or dresses.

Unless they want to.

Me, I'd put on a dress for fifty thousand dollars.

7. Melakon

It was probably a case of "Wear it, or we'll get someone else for the part."

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

You are probably right. I can only imagine what what going on in the actor's head as he was getting into his costume.

9. Melakon

He'd probably gain a following on the convention circuit. "I'm the guy who wore that stupid skirt."

10. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As I recall, in at least one TOS episode Mr. Scott wore a kilt. (As have I in real life, including both a traditional tartan kilt, and a Utilikilt). A man can look dignified in such a garment-which is distinctly longer than a mini-skirt.

11. Melakon

Yes, but a kilt has a long history of tradition. I've never seen a man wearing a kilt or a skirt in public in the States, unless it's in parades or other ceremonies. Except for once in the last 8 years or so, when a crossdresser or transvestite apparently was denied use of the restroom at a fast food restaurant. I thought it was a woman from a distance, but he was angrily muttering about something aloud while in a parking lot. Too bad he didn't know there was an office building within view with unlocked restrooms, but maybe he just wanted to make a scene.

12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately he also wore pants along with the kilt, denying us the view of Mr. Doohan's (no doubt) lovely legs.

If you don't push, nothing will ever change.

:)

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty sure he wore the traditional long socks but not pants (or trousers as I'd call them - pants are underwear to me). You wouldn't wear a Kilt over trousers.

14. Melakon

I wasn't sure what was going on when I saw him/her, but I think there was a gay club several blocks away at the time (since closed because it was on the wrong side of the street when light rail went in). If I'd realized what the problem was, I would have indicated the office building. It was like a Candid Camera moment, we used to have radio stations set up remotes near there. They were in a short, tight dress, heels, hat, lipstick, only the voice gave it away as we got closer. Maybe a performer, I don't know. Haven't seen in the neighnborhood since, and I'm walking almost every day for the last 9 years when I have to go anywhere.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  15. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For me, personally, the Skant's problems were threefold:

1: Whether intentionally or not, even as a 10 year old when it came to BBC2 at last it felt like a post modern ironic joke at the expense of one of the thing Everyone Knew about Star Trek (even dumb kids like me), the women wore short skirts. "Ah, there's nothing sexist about us now because everyone is wearing short skirts! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAAAAAH isn't that amusing?". Post modernism isn't the best thing on which to base a regular costume.

2: The costumes weren't flattering. Man or woman, the skirt didn't compliment anyone, it especially tended to make folks wearing it look fat legged. Plus, the original female Trek uniforms had them wearing a massive pear of (uniform colour coordinated) knickers that basically kept their modesty and meant Nichelle could act with confidence. Look at how Marina is firmly and doggedly clamping her knees together in the final scene of Encounter at Farpoint with a look of gritty determination on her face. Did we ever see anyone sit down in that uniform again?

3: We never saw any of the main male characters wear one. Even in Encounter where it was supposed to be a serious option (for the rest of the first season it comes over as a "We've paid for these outfits. PUT THEM ON EXTRAS" costume). It's hard to take seriously as a legitimate and natural 24th century make fashion if there's no chance of 6 out of 9 of the main cast ever wearing one.

16. Melakon

It's pretty telling when they didn't even put Wesley in one.

17. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

I don't think skirts have a place on a professional ship. Nobody needs to show that much skin, and they restrict movement. Pants are the most practical garments, as they provide maneuverability and warmth.

I live in Portland, and there are at least a couple guys in my neighborhood who wear utilikilts. Once I get the budget for it, I'm getting a tartan kilt.

@Melakon, I respect your posts; you are a good source of information and opinion, but I have to disagree with you when you talk about the kilt. It's far from the only dignified skirt for men. There's a Samoan church a couple blocks from my house, and all the guys who go there wear what looks like long skirts. Not only that, but they're covered in floral patterns. To Pacific islanders, this is appropriate garb to wear to worship.

18. Melakon

Understood, but in 64 years solely in the continental U.S., I've only seen men in anything resembling skirts outside of parades or ceremonial functions one or two times in public. It all depends on regions, I'm originally a hick from the Midwest. I've never been to Oregon, I've never been to Vermont. I didn't move out of the midwest until 1990.

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In the case of the TOS miniskirt the opposite is true. They would provide for superior freedom of movement, especially with a fighting style that involves kicking.

As far as warmth, Chapel beams down to a freezing landscape in a mini with stocking and is just as warm as her male companions wearing trousers.

:)

20. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

They do? I swear they were all like pencil skirts on that show? Having never worn one I've assumed that all tight mini skirts restrict leg movement based on how tightly they fit?

Melakon, I'm a hick from Oregon. Whereabouts in the Midwest? Wisconsin or Michigan?

We've got a lot of Scots-Irish out here in Oregon, and while the kilt isn't common, it wouldn't get too many funny stares.