Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. I thought those rights would have expired by now; Universal has had them at least 10 years.

That said, Universal held the rights to Hulk too; but Feige and Marvel worked out a deal. They could work out a deal on Namor too if they wanted; but it won't help the Fantastic Four movie at Fox.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I doubt Mavel Studios has an interest in using the Namor character in any of their movies right now.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FWIW, it seems to me that the point of the story is that Galactus is sentient and recognizes that his food is as well but he has no choice in order to survive. He seems to feel some small guilt over what he must do. That sets up the concept of how to deal with him and differentiates his threat from some other generic threat to earth, such as a meteor.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I thought it was the planet Galactus "ate", not the people. The people die as a result of him destroying their worlds as he converts it into "food".

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

This constant fear about showing Galactus is the reason we got the stupid cloud in the second FF movie, which didn't make anyone happy. :lol:

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

All the more reason he wouldn't see us as beings worthy of his notice. We don't warn the microbes living on a cow's hide before we send it to the slaughterhouse.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

All powerful being that never interacts with the heroes sounds boring, and also like that cloud idea all over again.

8. Christopher

^The point is that there should optimally be some exceptional reason why Galactus deigns to notice us in such a movie, for instance -- as I've suggested two or three times already -- Uatu acting as an intermediary, and in so doing creating the giant-humanoid image of Galactus as an avatar for the FF to communicate with.

I'm not saying anything's insoluble. I'm saying the questions should be acknowledged and addressed. Doing a good adaptation does not mean blindly imitating the source, nor does it mean indiscriminately throwing everything out. It means considering each aspect in turn and figuring out the best way to approach it.

9. Nerys Myk

It would be. Which is why I'm thankful Stan and Jack didn't go that route.

10. Christopher

Anyway, I'd say the answer to having the being not interact with the heroes is the one Lee & Kirby already came up with: the herald, the intermediary who speaks on the behalf of the cosmic force. This is what ST:TMP did by using the Ilia Probe as the "voice" of V'Ger, and it's what TNG did by using Locutus as the voice of the Borg. That way you get to have it both ways -- the cosmic menace is still immense and above us and we are as ants to it, but there's still a character the protagonists can engage with and learn from. (For that matter, the idea has abundant mythological precedent -- gods have avatars and prophets that they use to communicate with humans rather than speaking to us directly.)

So arguably if you have the Silver Surfer, you don't need Galactus to speak directly to humanity, at least not until extraordinary circumstances draw his notice (e.g. Reed getting his hands on the Ultimate Nullifier).

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^Problem is, that's pretty much exactly what the last film did, IIRC...and now we're getting a reboot.

FWIW, I doubt we'll be seeing Galactus again soon. The new creators need to get Doom right first, anyway.

12. Christopher

^Well, sure, we're just speaking about a hypothetical Galactus film. I don't think anyone's assuming it'll be the next film.

And I really don't have an objection to how Galactus was handled in Rise of the Silver Surfer. Maybe the VFX could've been designed more interestingly, but as I said, I like the Ultimate Universe's interpretation of Gah Lak Tus as a vast swarm of creatures, which is a more plausible take on "planet-devouring entity" than the classic one.

13. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

ugh. Did they really...? ugh.

14. Nerys Myk

It's okay, Galactus just kicked Gah Lak Tus' ass and the swarm works for him now. I think he's about to eat the Ulitimate Earth as well

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's the kind of crap you get when you hire comic book creators who are embarrassed by comic books.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Has anyone heard anything about a FF/X-Men crossover or is it just a shared universe ?

17. Christopher

Millar clarified that there were no specific crossover plans. Any nods to the shared universe would probably be subtle, just passing references or background details.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

19. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No.. no... let the rights revert. Please let the rights revert!

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Dream...drafts have been done...Kinberg is doing an overhaul on what has been done before. So that would indicate Fox hasn't been happy with the previous drafts.

Yeah...I'm starting to become concerned about this project. Simon Kinberg would mark the sixth writer attached to the project (including Josh Trank himself who wrote the first draft). This is starting to get into GL territory. As the article states, they were supposed to enter production last month...a couple weeks ago I think...but now...it seems like they've becoming desperate.

If this attempt botches...I wonder what they would do. They were pretty keen on not letting the rights revert, that is why they brought in Trank to direct.