Robert beltran on stage

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Mareika, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My husband drove 250 miles for the weekend to take me to see The Big Knife some years back.

Yes, Beltran can act, contrary to what some think. He was just fine. And, yes, when his back was to my section of the audience, I did find myself staring at his butt. And, yes, my husband caught me doing that. Many times.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's his butt like?

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Chakotay character did have glimmers of greatness. I always got the impression that Beltran was oft disgruntled because of his limited role and was just coasting most of those seven years. I mean hey.. for the first three seasons it was the Janeway show, then when it did expand it was the Janeway/Doctor/Seven show the rest of the run.

I mean the old saying was, you don't have to be the fastest guy to escape the bear in the woods. You just have to be more quick than the slowest guy. Which was Harry Kim. ;)

5. Katie O'Clare

Katie O'Clare Lieutenant Red Shirt

I did also see glimpses of greatness. Especially his emotional breakdown in Coda
    Can you say wow.....?! IIRC it made me weep when I watched the episode for the first time. And despite I think Tattoo was a so-so episode, I LOVED it when he got nakey nakey mmmmmhhhmmmm :D
    But yes I would like to hear more about his butt as well!!! :)

6. Jiangnan Freak

Jiangnan Freak Lieutenant

7. teacake

What exactly are we supposed to remember about that?

8. propita

Well, he WAS wearing slacks. But he was pretty trim then, so he looked nice.

And I'm pretty sure he was using a body double in Tattoo. He seems to have a much squarer frame than what was shown.

9. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

Over the many years that I've been going to conventions and reading interview transcripts, the story about Beltran seems to be that he thought that right off the bat he would be a huge characte, that he would have a lot more lines and a much bigger part. When that didn't happen he was upset and started to badmouth the show. At which point the writers got upset and didn't write as much for him. This made him more upset and he badmouthed the show even more, and the writers wrote even less, and so on and so on. Beltran himself said that he stopped reading scripts. You can see that in most of his scenes he's looking at a console, or reading a padd or something like that, because his lines are written on that object. IMO he was very unprofessional. Yes I believe he was entitled to his opinion, if he didn't like the show he didn't like the show. But I think that while he was still working on the show and collecting money he should have been more diplomatic about it.

10. Katie O'Clare

True to that..once the show ended he could talk as much crap as he wanted but while they were still shooting..hmm..not so considerate of him I think...and not very professional.

However I thought the charakter Chakotay had much more potential than what they gave him. They could have elaborated the Marquis situation more and the conflict and what not...IMHO he pretty much left the angry warrier behind with the Liberty, when he beamed on Voyager at the end of Caretaker...

11. propita

Well, he WAS a tactician. Between that and his Maquis experience, he should have had a lot more input during battles and so forth. But Janeway wasn't supposed to look weak, that she needed anyone's advice--regardless of those long-ass meetings that Picard always had before doing stuff. I blame it on the studio, as usual.

12. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

There were several times where he tried to make suggestions to Janeway but she usually shut him down.

I think that part of that was since Janeway was a woman there would be a tricky area of he always was like well I think you should do this. Janeway needed to be shown as a strong woman who didn't need a man giving her suggestions all the time.

his maquis experience might actually be a hinderance to Janeway durring battles. Maquis do things very differently than Starfleet

13. Katie O'Clare

Yea but Janeway became a bit more human and approchable after the producers let KM do her job and they didnt tell her what not to do anymore...They should have let her loose from the beginning...she was really stiff and "too strong" sometimes. I loved the scenes when she let her guard down when she was talking to Kes. Those shouldnt have been the only times she showed some "weakness"...And personally, I dont think taking advice or considering others advice is a weakness...it shows rather that you are not too stoic and stubborn and are willing to go out of your way...thats rather a strong trait. And it shouldnt matter if you're a man or a woman or the first female starship captain for that matter. But now I'm drifting off..so back to Chakotay...I think he should have been more angry and persistent and successful in trying to oppose Janeway. You know...heated arguments like in Skopion...

14. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I think if he had had more of those moments it would make Janeway look weak

15. teacake

You never saw Kirk growing all soft and misty and touching people's shoulders.

16. Katie O'Clare

But Janeway aint no Kirk... (or Picard, or Sisko...just in case ;) )

17. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

:vulcan:

Sure you did, right before he got them into a lip lock, he turned on those "bedroom eyes" and pulled them into that bear hug.

:rommie:

18. teacake

When I read your post JRulez I could hear that tone Kirk got in his voice when speaking to beautiful women..

19. propita

He DID do that, didn't he? Lol

Um...he used the same voice to Miri, IIRC, when he told her she was pretty. I know he wasn't trying to actually seduce her, but he was really playing her emotions. Kinda sucks when you think about it.

20. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of "getting all misty"...

I love that scene in OitNB's finale when the skinny kitchen worker claimed that Red gave her "that look that makes my a$$ leak." and Nikki replied... "I've seen THAT look!" :guffaw: