Reign - The CW

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Taylirious, May 16, 2013.

1. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She was on CSI. [HEART]

Oh! Amy was on Private Practice. LOL.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Private Practice - **Salute**

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The real ladies-in-waiting were all named Mary, and collectively they are known as "the four Marys."

Mary Livingston was born in 1541.
    Mary Fleming was born in 1542. Of note, her mother went to France with Queen Mary and the four Marys, where she became pregnant by King Henri II. Mary Fleming was also Queen Mary's first cousin.
    Mary Beaton was born in 1543.
    Mary Seton was born in 1549.

I have no idea how these characters are supposed to correspond to the characters we see on television. Clearly, none of them are 8 years-old like Mary Seton would have been.

I understand why they're not named Mary; as a practical matter, audiences would be confused by five major characters all with the same name. Heck, I can barely tell the series' ladies-in-waiting apart, and the only one whose name I'm sure of is Kenna. I have no idea the name of Anna Poppelwell's character. I still call her Susan in my head.

4. Guy Gardener

I believe whole heartedly that anyone under 30 is a child.

5. Allyn Gibson

Last night's episode was like a bad episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. You know, the one where where Picard gets turned into a little kid and the Ferengi seize the Enterprise.

It wasn't totally devoid of interest. Mary was showing (for the era) a stupidly remarkable amount of cleavage, and Evil Anne of Green Gables was even more evil than I thought possible. And, of course, Francis and Mary got past second base, and assuming Francis took Mary's "virtue" I don't think that either of them will care come their wedding day.

I didn't utterly hate this episode, but it wasn't very good. The budgetary limitations with this series are pretty obvious.

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i thought it was a very interesting episode. but i am getting tired of the constant back and forth of Mary and Francis. i hope they put that plot point to bed for awhile.

7. Allyn Gibson

Going by history, assuming one season corresponds to one year, they'll be married by the end of the year.

Henri will be dead by the end of year two.

Francis will be dead by the end of year three.

8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i have read up on the actual history a bit...but i don't expect them to follow it very closely.

9. Guy Gardener

In Lost, it took them 4 years to tell 60 days.

On 24, if took 7 years to tell us 7 days worth of stories.

10. Taylirious

Mid-season finale for Reign tonight. I will edit to add my thoughts later.

Seems The Vampire Diaries & Reign will be together for the rest of the 2013-2014 season Mid-season Schedule. Good deal IMO. :)

11. Guy Gardener

It's too soon, but how the King was slatheirng over Egland was both grotesque and glorious.

How they are talking about Elizabeth and Mary still makes me think of The Kate Blanchet movies where the girl from Kevin and Perry go Large, even though Elizabeth I featured prominently in the Doctor Who special a couple weeks ago... Oh, still a century and a half till we meet The Girl in the Fire Place.

"France, it's like another Planet."

12. Allyn Gibson

I don't feel bad now for never having bothered to learn the name of that one character. Kenna, Greer, Susan Pevensie, and Other One. :)

I generally enjoyed last night's episode. Henri gloating over England falling into his grasp was accurate -- and England will be added to Francis and Mary's coat of arms for the reasons Henri laid out; to the Catholic world, Mary Stuart was the rightful heir to England.

The last five minutes, though. I was almost shouting at my television, "What is this effing shit!"

13. Taylirious

^ Agree about the last five minutes. LOL.

14. Allyn Gibson

Reign is back tonight after its Christmas hiatus.

15. Guy Gardener

We need to suck more people into watching this.

It's basically Gossip Girl meets the Tudors.

That should be an easy sell.

Last nights was so clever.

You have to wonder if the writers had it planned all along, because this weeks show made the the last 4 or 5 episodes completely a story arc. Necessary relevant shit happened for the present to be in the current shape it is.

This is so unvoyagery.

16. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I started watching this show a few months ago, while I do my clothes ironing on Thursday nights, and it's actually pretty good. Like "Nikita," which I started mid-series, I have no idea what the hell the premise is all about, but the intriguing plot and strong, well developed characters got me hooked!

So superstitious Mary is convinced that if she marries Francis, the love of her life, he's going to die, according to Nostradamus' prophecy. So now she decides she'd like to marry Bash instead, much to Catherine's dismay, who is bound to lose her power because of the new line of succession. Bad move for Mary, sacrificing her own happiness, and she ends up losing Francis anyway.

Meanwhile, Nostradamus gets knifed and Catherine is arrested before she can go into exile.

17. Taylirious

Great return EP. I think they will play up the Mary/Francis/Bash triangle -duh- until Mary & Francis get married. :lol: Interested in Clarissa's story...she shanked Nos. :rommie:

18. Guy Gardener

You'd think that he would have seen that coming?

19. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Catherine continued her scheming by threatening to expose and discredit Bash, who had a "half cousin" named Isabel, whose deceased father was a known traitor. But I liked how Lola and the girls came up with a counter plot that could ruin Catherine, should harm come to Bash and Mary.

I think I'm hooked!

20. Guy Gardener

I've been in love with this woman for 30 years.