Novel Series about the Enterprise-J

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Unimatrix Q, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

I really would like to read a novel series about the Enterprise-J on her Mission to explore unknown galaxies! Is there hope that such a rperies or at least a standalone novel will be released?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise-J was from a future that was erased by the events of "Zero Hour", where the Spheres were destroyed in the 22nd century instead of existing to precipitate a war in the 26th. I doubt it exists in the future of the Prime universe

Id enjoy a Myriad Universes tale, if they ever go back to that well (THEY SHOULD)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Then again, the Enterprise-D existed both in the Prime timeline and the "Yesterday's Enterprise" timeline. And NCC-1701 existed in both the Prime and Mirror Universes. It's an established principle of Trek timelines that the same individuals and vessels tend to show up in different histories.

Still, I don't really see the interest in doing the E-J in prose. I mean, we learned nothing about it aside from its appearance, which is something that wouldn't really be relevant in a book. There are no known characters to write about. So what's the hook?

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The hook is a sweet starship that some fans are lusting over. That's it really. And that according to fandom, it can explore beyond our galaxy, so we can have stories set there.

Don't see what that's fun though. Most of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants are still unexplored, we've hardly see the Gamma Quadrant. Voyager basicly went to Earth in a straight line, missing a HUUUUUUGE part of the Delta Quadrant.

I'm happy exploring our little corner of the universe for a while. ;)

5. Christopher

Exactly my point. It's mostly a visual interest, and so a prose series wouldn't really satisfy that desire. I could understand wanting to see a comic or a fan film or something about it, but for a prose series specifically, where you can't actually see the ship, I don't see the payoff.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

An obvious hook I see is that, because it's set well beyond the bleeding edge of continuity, you can do Star Trek stories without the baggage of the 23rd and 24th-century storytelling. But I can't think of what one would do with an Enterprise-J setting that can't be done in a more conventional setting. As Christopher notes, there are no established characters to work with.

7. Christopher

Sure. I mean, I can see the appeal of starting an all-new Trek series set centuries in the future. But it could be on any ship in any distant century. The E-J is basically just one picture. It's not much to build on.

8. Mage

I can imagine it now..... A whole chapter of nothing more then a description of what the class looks like, its dimensions, its capabilities, how much crew it can carry, how fast it can go..... Basicly, a tech-Trekkie's dream come true. But not TrekLit.

9. Unimatrix Q

It could bring back a sense of wonder, last felt when TNG aired for the first time! New astropolitical realities, new technologies, new more alien species (as the preservers may only have been active in our own galaxy)! A real alien Starfleet Captain and sense of astonishment for how much things could have changed!

10. Mage

All of that can be had in the Milky Way Galaxy.

Seriously, only a very, very, VERY small percentage of even the Alpha Quadrant has been explored. There's so much still out there, right around the corner.

11. Christopher

Yeah, but that's just a new Star Trek. It could just as easily be set on the Enterprise-H, or the Voyager-L, or the U.S.S. Jean-Luc Picard. Or, hey, it could be set on the U.S.S. Titan.

12. 20fridge

20fridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think that it could be handled well. Titan introduced a new ship without excessive focus in the text on a new ship. Instead there was an insert in Sword of Damocles with the basic layout and stats.

13. Unimatrix Q

That's right! I'm just longing for stories set more than 150 years after TNG! Something really new, set in the prime timeline!

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

But without some element from on-screen adventures, there's nothing there to generate interest in the casual fans and encourage them to pick up the book. They need something beyond a ship which only appeared as a computer diagram (which itself was just stretching and manipulating the NX-01).

15. Mage

Sure, but the argument over a E-J novel has come up before in the past, and the only reason was, it's a hella cool ship. And if you can't actually SEE the ship in a book, why make that the focus. The Titan novels are set in a new ship, but it's not the focus of the novel.

16. Unimatrix Q

A comic book series about the Enterprise-J would also be great!

17. Mage

Is it just because you want to see more pictures of the Enterprise J though? Because the ship isn't a character you can write about it. Stories are about characters, events happening.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A comic is even less likely. Most of IDW's work is TOS, Abramsverse, or related to either two with the occasional TNG thrown in.

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

If IDW weren't interested in a Titan comic -- which would have starred a few characters familiar to audiences -- I can't see them doing an Enterprise-J comic that stars no one familiar at all.

20. Unimatrix Q

I would like to read about the future of the prime timeline, after now 28 years of 24th Century Stories; how the cultures of the Federation, its allies and its adversaries changed after more than 150 years and the exploration of other galaxies (without the typical humanoids from our own galaxy). Interesting new characters and far more advanced technology are a must of course :-)