PICTURE POST II!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mary Ann, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually I believe that should be Carl Eddie. ;)

2. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

That's his mild-mannered alter ego. ;)

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Spending the week in Atlanta on business. Highlights thus far:

My wonderful co-workers convinced me to try sushi for the first time (really liked it, too):
    [​IMG]

Took in a Braves team with the marketing team tonight:
    [​IMG]

Had great seats, too:
    [​IMG]

4. Greylock Crescent

That's a great set, Timby! Lots of smiles ... very cool!

I decided to change things up and do some night photography on Monday. I've never really tried to do a serious night photog shoot. But here are the results (some of which are courtesy of the Empire State Building observation deck):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Full set here.

5. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Okay, that seals it, next time I'm there I HAVE to go up into the Empire State Building at night. Where are those cherry trees?

6. Greylock Crescent

You should! I'd only ever been up there before a couple of times, and just once at night. But it's been years (more than a decade) and I'd forgotten just how ... incredible the view is on a clear night. It can be an inspirational experience.

The trees are in Harold Square. Macy's is just to your left, off-camera.

7. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Great seats Timby, too bad its behind the visitors dugout though. :-P

:techman: :techman:

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I've been up at the top of the Empire State Building at night. It was an awe-inspiring view. We were as high as they allow tourists to go and you could see the tapestry of Manhattan spreading out as far as the eye could see. Liberty Island and the Statue off in the distance. The old Twin Towers. The GE Building. One famous, huge landmark after the next, and more twinkling lights than you'll probably ever see anywhere else short of getting away from urban light pollution and looking at the night sky.

9. Greylock Crescent

^ The last time I was there was when they had the WTC tribute lights going ... Having witnessed 9/11 with my own eyes (albeit from Queens), it was most definitely awe-inspiring. In any case, seeing Manhattan from such a perspective is not something to be missed. The Empire State Building is perfectly situated to see just about everything except Harlem (which, admittedly, is no small omission). But having spent time on the streets, trying to capture the energy of the city ... and then seeing those streets from such a perspective ... you begin to realize just how impressive, expansive, and vibrant Manhattan is.

10. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I think the reason why I didn't go up there at night last time was because our trip got cut a bit short by flight trouble so we only stayed in Manhattan one night. Next time I'll most likely be spending more time in Manhattan over all.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

How long did it take you to get up there? The one time I went up, it took several hours to get through all the lines.

12. cooleddie74

It was ages ago so I can't remember the exact length of the wait. I do recall the long trip up inside one of the fancy elevators and it seemed to take forever.

13. Greylock Crescent

On Monday, my wait time was 45 minutes from the time I walked through the doors to the moment I stepped out on to the deck. I'm pretty sure that it was an average wait, which surprised me, given how crowded the deck was. They currently offer an "Express Pass" for $50 that lets you jump to the front of every line (security, elevators, etc.). Given the fact that it's only $11 more than the regular pass, I'd say it's worthwhile.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

It took three hours for me to get up there. Must have stood in at least five or six different lines. Then again, this was 11 or so years ago. Probably lingering aftereffects from 9/11.

15. cooleddie74

Yeah, I wasn't in New York at the time but I imagine that any huge and/or tall structures in the city were subject to intense security crackdowns and tightened rules in the aftermath of 9/11. I know you couldn't go up inside the Statue of Liberty for more than a decade after the attacks happened.

16. Pondwater

It's quite amazing. I walked from Brooklyn over the East river, through Manhattan to the Hudson. I felt like I went through three countries. The sites, sounds and smells....
    Only took me 30 mins. Street level, ticket lines, elevator , walking the stairs to the observation deck then about 10 mins to sky view.

It was a Wednesday in 2011 during a Spring Break. It was mid morning.

17. Pondwater

And then Sandy came... I think it has reopened now.

18. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]
    Not too many days you see this place so empty.
    In fact, there were more people looking at a Lego version at a Lego show downtown.
    [​IMG]
    If you want to build your own, you'll need two years, 70,000 bricks and around $8,000 worth of Lego.

19. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Posted this, along with some other pics, in Feline Follies, but thought I'd post it here, too, since the only pictures I take these days are pictures of my cat.
    [​IMG]

20. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Aww so fuzzy!