Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

To hell with Mara and her "I wasn't on the dark side" nonsense. Her whole interaction with Luke in HTTE is stolen from Willow anyway.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I would love a Star Wars Disney musical.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

So...time to reopen the Star Wars subforum? :p

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it's been in The Vault long enough, I suppose... :devil:

Wow. :D

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

:lol:

Seems inevitable.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Rebooting... Hadn't thought of that. Doesn't sound like the plan right now if they're doing a 7th installment. Eventually though? I can see it happening.

7. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, this took me by surprise as well. I think it's ultimately a good thing, as it's the best chance for new SW movies in the next 10-20 years and it takes the creative control out of GL's hands, so there's at least a chance the new films will be good.

8. Ricardus

Ricardus Ensign Newbie

I don't know what to feel. My great love of Star Wars ended some time ago. I am thankful that Lucas came out with EP1 in 1977 and gave an 11 year old Aspie sci-fi super-geek something to get SUPER excited over, but the recent 3 were nothing to write home about (and Jar Jar had little to do with that, quit making him the scapegoat!). In general, concentrations of power are bad things so I am not hopeful.

I am not excited about the idea of a reboot with new younger, fresher, prettier casting and straying from Canon (as the Trek reboot was an abortion).

At the end of the day, all this is, is a money making venture which will give Disney the ability to sell more crap to consumers in their Disney Stores.

9. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

"So this is how a franchise dies. With a thunderous ringing of cash tills."

But seriously, we'll see how this all pans out. Still not sure how to take in the sudden announcement.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRrm59Z_0w4[/yt]

:guffaw:

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread is moving fast.

Where does this place the long in development live action TV series?

Also, probably time to re-open a SW sub forum. I can only imagine the traffic of SW related threads is going to increase over the coming months.

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe the 7th movie will be a retelling of the Christmas special as Episode 7! :)

12. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Getting De-Lucased is probably the best part about the news.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

My guess, the new movies take priority.

If they do well, spin-offs will be all over TV. Whatever's already been developed in terms of concepts/artwork/etc will be rifled through for inspiration/anything that can work for the movies first.

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The same way they reacted to TCW, only faster and more intense.

The one that's expected to premiere in 2009?

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It will probably make its chances of happening more likely than less, but probably at a significantly reduced budget and scope. I think Disney's only significant cable network (outside of the Disney Channel, Disney XD, etc.) is ABC Family, so either that or ABC itself would probably be the most likely destinations.

16. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, there are two things that are more important than new Star Wars films or shows:

1. Lucas now has a huge amount of stock in Disney
    2. ILM is now part of Disney.

17. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Star Wars franchise & Disney acquisition

This is worth mentioning but from this point forward the first 6 SW films and the The Clone Wars (2008) film will all be considered as "classic Disney films" in a few years. The
    5 seasons of The Clone Wars TV series will just go in the HD television catalog.
    All new film/TV product in the Star Wars franchise will get huge marketing campaigns and merchandising tie-ins larger than the previous 6 films starting with the estimated 2015 new SW feature film.
    With 50 written episodes for the live-action SW series the SW franchise looked good to Disney to have the ability to do feature films and TV in addition to an animated series if they choose to do so.
    With all of the outlets in the next 3 years and moving away from selling physical DVDs & Blu-ray in 5-10 years Disney will want to be able to control when things are available to stream, view on-demand, and download and thus the "Disney virtual vault".

With The Walt Disney Company currently licensing 14 theme parks around the world the ability to add rides and characters to their theme parks from this franchise will keep SW as a strong brand for decades to come.
    With retail Disney stores selling all of this new SW and classic SW character merchandise it will bring in a certain revenue stream.

Since Disney owns TV networks such as Disney Channel, Disney XD, ABC, & ABC Family these are all traditional linear TV channel outlets to show new product.

This is where I will expect the next SW animated series to end up. And I will guess it will be rendered at the Pixar renderfarm.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Disney XD reaired The Clone Wars tv series in 2016 until the 2nd new film was out.

Oh I forgot with the success of the theatre Broadway musicals of The Lion King, Mary Poppins (2011), Newsies that of course Disney would make a musical on Broadway of SW.

I am going to guess that the next SW feature film in 2015 will not be shown as 2:35:1 ratio in cinemas but instead 1.78:1 (16x9) ratio.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure whether to be scared or excited by this news...

19. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'll believe it when i see it.. 2015 seems too soon for such a huge project.

Star Wars isn't some kind of indie movie you can produce in 6 months.. they are huge and i don't know if they can be made in 2-3 years.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

This was always Lucas's idea for the SW movies. More like James Bond movies and the movie serials of his youth rather than a complete saga with a beginning and an end.