Ghostbusters 2016: Talk about the movie(s).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Oct 8, 2010.

1. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra

Funny how to find out what's unpopular, you basically need to go online. I've always liked GB2, being 12 years or whatever when it was in cinemas. Sure, it's not as edgy a comedy idea as the first, but there are things about it I liked more. Being a fan of the cartoon show, it was nice a few cues were taken from it - such as Janine's look and Slimer hanging around the firehouse.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I actually wouldn't be entirely opposed to a Ghostbusters "reboot" and something along the lines of taking a serious approach to the franchise and "playing it straight." As much as I love the original, I think it'd be interesting to see a serious action-movie style GB movie as opposed to a comedy. And the first movie is in the right neighborhood of this idea but clearly the second movie ramped up the comedy and was too "kid friendly" inspired mostly by the cartoon series. (The early stuff itself treating the source material very straight with the right amount of "dark" and seriousness.)

But the first movie is an unbridled classic, the second is... meh.

We've not seen a sequel in the intervening 22 years and any sequel at this point either would be sad or just not very good at all. I think a straight "reboot"/remake would be okay and even interesting.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Reboot is the way to go. It brought Star Trek back from the dead!

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was completely underwhelmed by GB2. What did it have to offer that was missing from the first? In contrast to the first film, which seemed highly original and which was very entertaining, the second seemed to be a completely formulaic retread, everything expected of a sequel playing it safe and by the numbers, and nothing more.

5. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved GB2 and GB1, but I think a reboot on this one is the way to go.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they don't have Murray, there's no reason not to reboot it.

7. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They could reboot it, but you can't easily replicate the success of a film like Ghostbusters. Big budget comedies rarely work so well. I don't know if I've ever seen a film with so many great one-liners, especially a film on that scale. The cast was spot-on, with everyone playing their roles perfectly. That kind of chemistry is also not easily achieved.

8. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could do a passing the torch/reboot film where Aykroyd is the only Ghostbuster still on active duty and has refused to retire despite his old age. He takes on a new team and in the end realizes his time has passed and lets others take up the call.

It mirrors real life (which is usually a plus) and doesn't require Murray as a main character. Murray and the others could make a cameo in the end, but the film would primarily be Aykroyd with the newcomers. Aykroyd seems to be the only one who really, really wants to do this film, so he should just go for it.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Dunno if I'd want a reboot in the traditional sense. This is one of those franchises where they really do have to get things right for fans to feel like they've done a good job with it. See, what worked for JJTrek is they still acknowledged the prime universe, that they were an alternate universe and were still able to move on. In this case, I'd prefer it if the history from the previous movies were still acknowledged in some way, even if it means jumping ahead several years where only a few of the original ghostbusters are still alive and with a change in tone. Doing this would help introduce new toys and gadgets that have been invented since the last time we've seen them. I just don't really feel a reboot with a clean slate would do much good. They'd also have to be very careful with the casting.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also don't forget about Murray's cameo role in "Zombieland" as well ;) That was Ghostbusters oriented. I don't think this will ever happen. They wanted to continue the franchise with a passing of the torch plot involving Murray. Also, IIRC (unless it is an urban myth of some sort) don't Murray and Ivan Reitman have some kind of "veto" power over the script? If they don't like it, it basically doesn't happen type of deal?

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

A couple of days in a recording booth is a significantly different investment of time, energy and effort than spending time on an effects-heavy movie set.

Aykroyd, Ramis, Reitman and Murray all have to consent to any new Ghostbusters film project. Murray has said in the past that he won't hold up the gang from making the film, he'll just step back if he doesn't want to be involved (similar to how, when Hellbent was pretty close to being put into official pre-production, Reitman said "I'll give you my blessing, but I will not shoot this script" -- at that point, Ramis was going to direct).

12. Admiral_Young

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I didn't really get anything from that clip that even suggested he'd be open to appearing in it. He was just answering Dave's question the best he could.

14. Admiral_Young

He also could've answered "It's not gonna happen." then. It would have garnered a lot boos but at least it would have been some kind of definitive status. He might just have been diplomatic in his answer but maybe not. Dave cut him off too so we don't even know what his full thoughts on the matter were.

15. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I got the feeling that he didn't quite know what to say. The guy got put on the spot, and I think he simply wanted the best thing for the franchise rather than something that's rushed out. He does sound open to it though as long as the script is right.

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's probably up for it as long as the script is good. He may have done a lot of crappy movies but Ghostbusters wasn't one of them, so he probably doesn't want to tarnish it anymore than the sequel did.

17. Admiral_Young

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Promising like the last I've-lost-count-the-number-of-times sounds promising?

19. Admiral_Young

Granted, but he seems to be one of the better choices they've hired out of the previous batch of writers. I guess we'll see in a few months what comes of this. Murray's been tough to impress...who knows if Cohen will or not.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

What if it had been Ethan Coen? I'm trying to picture a Coen Brothers Ghostbusters.