So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wrapped up DS9: Demons of Air and Darkness. So far, the DS9-R has been kinda ho-hum. Avatar was a great start, but both Abyss and Demons have felt like episode-of-the-week stuff. I just started Mission: Gamma - Twilight last night. Only a chapter in. I'm hoping things start picking up.

2. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^I thought Abyss and Demons were great, and Twilight has been the highlight for me in the DS9R so far, albeit, a very long read. The second book of the Gamma Quadrilogy is what currently has me stuck in neutral. To each his own :)

3. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Gail Simone and Octavia Butler are both great writers that I love - I recommend checking out Butler's Wild Seed, that's a particular favorite.
    I've been reading a lot of Trek books lately. I just finished Q-in-Law, an old favorite that I've read three or four times before, and it still holds up as a fun exciting read every time. PAD writes a really great Lwaxana Troi, my favorite Trek character of all time. She's hilarious but can turn on a dime and break your heart.

4. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    "The Empire of Tears" by Freches is bit disappointing (not as good as his previous series), so I'm taking a break from it and reading "Rising Son", continuing the DS9 re-read.

5. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: SCE: Interphase by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore.

I'm currently reading Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations by Christopher L. Bennett.

6. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last night, I finished "SG-1: Permafrost," a Stargate eNovella that was released just a short while ago. At a buck-and-a-half, it's a great deal and the story is well-worth the money.

Looks like Fandemonium is dipping their toes into the eNovella market like Star Trek has recently. I hope that both franchises continue to deliver inexpensive and high-quality novellas like this one, or Christopher's "DTI: the Collectors," well into the future.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just picked up The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore at our local library.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Back in college, I did a paper on Lepore's first monograph, The Name of War. I found her a thorough researcher, perhaps to a fault, but prone to speculating beyond the evidence and fictionalizing historical figures' thoughts and motives for the sake of a more dramatic narrative. Hopefully she's improved with experience.

9. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Reading 'Into the Nebula' a TNG episodic novel by Gene DeWeese. Sigh...yet another novel about the consequences of mucking with the environment with energy sources. I guess it was a hotter topic back before the science behind climate change was widely known. In 2014, these themes aren't quite as influential as they were before not believing in climate change became a religion of its own.

Other than having an oft-repeated plot line, it's well written with an interesting albeit predictable story.

10. Trimm

Trimm Captain Captain

Just finished Foul Deeds will Rise and One Constant Star. I was more or less happy with the former, and the latter left me very cold. I loved Serpents among the Ruins, so that was a downer.

I think I'm going to reread Engines of Destiny this weekend.

11. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, the response to One Constant Star when it came out wasn't especially positive from anyone. Kind of a dud.

12. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Enjoy, it's always been one of my favorites - it's a neat, tight scifi yarn.

I haven't gotten around to any Trek reading in a while sadly. The last novel I read was Suki Kim's The Interpreter - passable, but let down by a colorless protagonist, although I did get some of the Korean-American perspective from it that I was curious about.

Looking back at 2014, most of my reading material has been Korean study materials and other non-fiction books - actually, if Christopher is reading this, I finished Margalit Fox' take on the decipherment of Linear B early this year, and he might be interested to know that his uncle Emmett pops up in it here and there. IIRC a letter or remark of his to Alice Kober is quoted.

Looking ahead to 2015, I have an original language copy of 엄마를 부탁해 (Please Look After Mom) by 신경숙 sitting on a shelf here and I'm giving myself two years to read it. I have fond memories of learning English by attempting to read novels and spending more time leafing through a EN<->DE dictionary than the actual text; it was super-useful in bulking up on vocab and gaining a sense for the sentiment and emphasis carried by various phrasings. So I'm hoping to replicate that with Korean by starting to read prose next year, now that I've gotten a core vocabulary and quite a bit of grammar down.

13. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^To be honest I havent even bothered to read it yet, despite the fact it has been on my Kindles since the day it was published.

Between a certain indifference to TrekLit in general the last year or so and DRG III being pretty disapponting in his last few outings (especially in contrast to his early works) specifically, I just never mustered enough motivation to start it and the overall lukewarm response to it didn't help much, either.

As for what I'm reading: Nothing at the moment. Despite the fact that my last workday for 2014 was over a week ago I haven't read a single page since then. Don't think I will in the next few days either, as I really have to delve back into a project for USF which I have been sitting on way too long now ... :sigh:

14. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Taking a break from DS9-R. Lately ive been getting back into Enterprise via Netflix. First time I've watched this series since they first aired, which I saw all of. So I started up ENT: The Good That Men Do. I'm really enjoying it so far.

15. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Enterprise novels is what got me into the trek novels. I had read one here and there, but the Enterprise novels are what got
    me really reading trek lit though.

16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished the last 2books in the Q trilogy by Greg Cox. I really enjoyed reading this miniseries.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks! That was actually my very first attempt at a trilogy--and probably still my best-selling Trek books.

For which I give all credit to Q . . ..

18. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: DTI: The Collectors by Christopher L. Bennett. This just might be my favorite Star Trek story of the year if only because of
    a Borg T. Rex!
    I always look forward to and enjoy Christopher's stories and this was no exception, just a really fun story all around.

I received the new Star Trek: Ships of the Line for Christmas, so I'm working my way through that.

I also just started the Star Trek: Nero comic, which I also got for Xmas.

19. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I am reading a Sci-fi classic, Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. It is much better than the movie:bolian:

20. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

^That wouldn't be hard. :lol: