STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I wish we always had attendance numbers instead of or in addition to dollars. That way inflation wouldn't matter.

2. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

For people who know more about it than I...

If the numbers from China are out why aren't those numbers included on BOM? They have Hong Kong listed but not China.

Those China numbers a HUGE! According to BOM the number from China was 8.5 million for the entire run.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

BOM keeps the foreign total up to date, but their updates for individual countries can lag behind by a matter of weeks.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

If inflation makes a difference when comparing ticket prices, then total population size, which also increases steadily over time, makes a difference when comparing attendance. Since I've been alive, the U.S. population has increased by over 50%!

5. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

But not since 2009.
    Germany's population is shrinking - so: STID is even more successfulererer.

6. Belz...

Yeah but what I want to know is how many tickets were sold.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

True! Some countries do shrink! Even the total world population has shrunk at times in history. My bad.

Anyway, my main point there is that population changes, as does the nominal value of currency.

8. USSPhilippi

USSPhilippi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Big win for Trek in S. Korea

Y'all should be pleased to know that Into Darkness trounced Will Smith's After Earth in South Korea. They opened head-to-head this weekend.

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-new...r-earth-flops-in-its-first-overseas-territory

STID opened in first place with $3.76 million on the weekend; AE had a mere $2.1 million in third.

Heck, STID even beat the second weekend of F&F 6 over there! :D

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

STiD's Monday take: $1,632,233 for $183,169,614. Star Trek's comparable Monday was Memorial Day, so of course there's a big imbalance there.

10. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Looks like it'll top out at around 210-215, what with WWZ and Supes on the way.

11. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Are they basing their 100 million Man of Steel prediction based solely on the Batman movies doing well and the Marvel films doing well?

The last Supes movie opened with 76 million and tanked sharply after people realized it was a terrible movie.

I mean maybe that is enough to do it. It looks good, that's for sure.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Which would mean hat the UK Box Office figure is only about US$250K below ST (2009) taking. So perhaps for the UK we are looking at a final figure of around US$40m.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

WWZ is going to make After Earth look like a world beater.

14. Borgminister

Has there ever been a 0% Rotten Tomatoes rating? :lol:

15. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

The most recent trailer for Superman has made me somewhat excited for it. I wouldn't use the Marvel or Batman movies as barometers for its success though. A lot of people view Superman as hokey and out of date but enjoy the Marvel and Batman stuff.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the studio might be hoping that the fact that Nolan is invovled with MoS might provide a bump. In the end only time will tell, still it looks interesting.

17. Belz...

Yes.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/worst_of_the_worst/10/

Looks awful. I don't think it's going to be much of a threat. Supes, though...

18. Belz...

Maybe I'm just sick and tired of zombie stuf and this is informing my opinion, but when I saw the first trailer with the piling zombies, it turned me way off.

19. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

WWZ is a big budget, action, apocalypse movie. After Earth was a teen, coming of age movie dressed up in a sci-fi environment. I'm not sure WWZ makes back its enormous budget but it should make a lot of money.

Your personal opinion aside, the zombie genre has never been more popular. There are TV shows, comedy films, multiple video games, best selling books, etc, out in the media today. Sort of what Star Trek once had in its heyday.

20. Borgminister

99% want to see it... so it'll open big, but may tumble depending on whether the audience wants to see invading hoards of zombies you can't actually see....at least from the teasers.