STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

the massive overseas gain was expected as the film was promoted well overseas and mots people saw STiD overseas due to BC's popularity and it been the sequel to another Hollywood action film.

the domestic box office is were the real problem is and it fell a little short.

My gosh why is that so hard to admit, I don't like getting into arguments with people that choose to be in self denial especially when the truth is right in front of them.

EW and Box Office Mojo are simply doing their jobs when they give an in depth analysis of a movie earnings at the box office.

there is nothing funny about it.

If you look at EW list you would notice that sequels like fast and furious 6 and iron man 3 both made the list. STiD did not in other words the film earnings was a bit disappointing.

Also, something can be great and still be a slight disappointment.

STiD is far far from a flop, it did good at the box office but not GREAT. Taking into consideration the 3D prices.

If STiD did not have 3D, the movie would have finished somewhere between 180m-190m in USA. That is a disappointment when you take into account ST 09 257M earnings (without 3D)

Also again, may I add that the majority of trek fans are from USA, Trek never really had a huge following overseas ...expect maybe for the United Kingdom.

there is a reason why most Trek films did not even have any box office overseas record until now.:)

Lastly for people saying STiD had huge competition from iron man 3, the hang over and F&f 6. I would say this.

In may 2007. Spiderman 3, Shrek 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean :At Worlds End, all came out in the month of May and yet their box office earnings were close. All 3 films did a little above 300m in USA and all 3 films earned more than 700m dollars each world wide.

there is really not enough excuses for trek, yes there was competition but part of this film box office little failure was the fact that the film lacked originality and it was much more of a fan service.

people saw STiD once and ran back to watch WOK on their DVD's.

people saw ST09 over and over again because it was new, bold and original and had nothing to compare too.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

No.

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

That's crazy.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

The only ones who know with any certainty whether Star Trek Into Darkness over-performed, under-performed or hit its target are the folks at Paramount and Bad Robot.

Everyone else is guessing.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

No, just self-serving denial.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Ummm, how come it didn't "alienate" overseas fans - nor overseas members of the general public?

"Fan service" only affected US fans?

Perhaps they were just angry and jealous that the movie opened OS first? :devil:

7. BillJ

Any actual proof or are you making things up again?

8. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For me that's pretty much an oxymoron.:rofl:

Nope, it means it didn't make the personal list of one reviewer, who admits his selection is arbitrary and up for discussion. There's nothing wrong with that since discussion is his job, he's not laying claim to ultimate truth.

I didn't alienate me, quite the contrary. If anything I've seen more old fans dislike it because of what they see as dissing TOK. I don't understand how a completely new fan would even recognise old fan service without watching old time Trek.

Box office numbers are driven mostly by non fans, since there are so many more of them. Most non fans I know liked it, those that didn't either thought it was too slow:confused: (young men), sexist (young women) or confusing (the middle aged). However my sample size is 1-3 people in each group so that means nothing. :p

Everything dies = solid truth.

Any expert's guess at what exactly drives the masses = guess.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Nope. You're entirely wrong.

10. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

No its not self denial. check out all this films,

The dark knight

Spiderman 2

Shrek 2

Pirates of the Caribbean: dead man's chest.

Transformers 2

Matrix 2

X-Men 2

All this films, I mentioned all performed better overseas in comparison to their original films.

Majority of the time it happens. Point is this, Paramount wanted a huge increase from ST09 both in the USA and foreign Box office. Sadly it didn't happen in USA.

That is all I am saying. I don't get the ridicule.

I see once again I am the one single voice. look fellow trek fans, I get the loyalty and always trying to put a positive spin on STiD box office. however we need to face the facts for once.

STiD underperformed in the USA in comparison to ST09..Why is this even a debate.
    ST 09 =257m (NO 3D)...Adjusted for inflation 274m

STiD 2012 = 224m (3D)

STid would not even have beaten Wrath of Khan if you take away the 3D ticket sales.

WOK would have made 213m in USA if the film came out in 2012.

STiD without 3D sits at 180m-190m

Its the solid truth...all this are facts ...it is as truthful as saying the earth is round.

http://boxofficemojo.com/search/?q=star%20trek

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Spider-Man 2 made a little less than Spider-Man overseas actually.

12. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

STiD overperformed abroad in comparison to ST09..Why is this even a debate.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Of course you don't. :rolleyes:

The big winner in many respects so far this year is Furious 6 - it's third of the top five biggest films domestically, but had by far the lowest budget.

Into Darkness rounds out the top five most successful domestic releases of 2013. Three of the four films ahead of it have significantly higher supposed budgets.

14. BillJ

Do you work for Paramount or Bad Robot?

15. Therin of Andor

Ummmm, yep.

Watch the domestic sales of the STiD Blu-Ray hit the roof. "Nemesis" was an underperformer in the US box office, too. Then its DVD set sales records on its first weekend of US release. Maybe all those angry fans who blackbanned the premiere?

16. BillJ

I posted a link to an article a couple weeks ago that showed Into Darkness Blu-ray held the #1 and #2 spots on Amazons pre-order list. Something they say rarely happens. :techman:

17. Therin of Andor

Tee hee. :rommie:

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

After the recent "100 Greatest of All-Time" issue, I don't know how anyone can take anything Entertainment Weekly prints seriously.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

The popular expression once used to describe this was "everyone is out of step but Johnny." ;)

20. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    That's probably all Paramount and CBS care about, too. There's money to be made, therefore they make more.

Translation: "why don't people here agree with me ?"

Seriously, STID was a big success. Not a record-breaker, but still.

When that happens, it's time to consider that you're the one who's wrong.