STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening

I think it needs to make over $100m opening weekend if it wants to pass $257m in NA due to the much fiercer competition in May and June this time, particularly the weekend after Treks release when it could be pushed down to 3rd or 4th in the box-office.

Fast and Furious 6 will open to $100m, the Hangover will open to $100m, Epic a new CGI movie may get 40-50m and then Star Trek. Very very crowded.

3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

i just can't wait to see it. i think three times will be enough.

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Being in 3D will no doubt help boost its take.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Once for each D.

At the premiere, JJ warned us that because the film was so new maybe some of the Ds wouldn't work, but all three did and you soon forgot it was a 3D film - until something wild would happen!

6. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In a perfect world, it would make more money than the highly overrated Avatar ;) I'll be happy as long as it makes enough money to warrant a third one. Iron Man 3 will have been out for two weeks already, so I doubt it will be big competition by that point, and may be easily knocked to #2 at the box office. The bigger worry is the Fast and Furious movie, since that franchise is very popular, and it will be out only a week after the debut of the new Trek.

7. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Boosting overseas sales is why Cumberbatch was brought in, methinks. Especially Japan.

Just a thought.

8. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

^I know a couple of young girls going to STiD because they're smitten with Cumberbatch and "the other lead guy". I was surprised they planned to go as they're the type that previously wouldn't be caught dead at a ST movie. I think it's a testament to how JJ and co. have remodeled the franchise into something non-Trekkies are willing to explore (even if for the superficial reasons above).

9. Flake

Well I am sure there will be many many people who get into Star Trek as a result of watching STID. I am sure many people watched ST2009 and then started watching TOS or the TOS movies and maybe even the spinoffs.

10. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, whatever their reasons, it's all good.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopefully lots of Star Wars fans will go too, to see what their new God is capable of.

Cumberbabes and SW fans combine to make a Star Trek film successful. Welcome to bizarro land!:lol:

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I think that's the wildcard here that could push the numbers upwards.

13. Therin of Andor

Most of the groupies along the red carpet in Sydney - those who weren't older fans in Starfleet uniforms - were trendily-dressed young women, aged about 15-25, all screaming like One Direction was in town.

14. Flake

Really die hard Star Wars fans are no more numerous than Trekkies IMHO, what gives Star Wars the edge is more of the masses enjoyed them back in the day and lots of kids enjoyed the prequels so they will watch again whereas many people may not give Star Trek a chance because of the stereotype and because they may mistakenly believe they need to have seen the show and older movies to be able to understand what happens.

I think the core audience of Star Trek into darkness will be 35+ yr old parents taking their children :) teens & 20-something's will pass and go to fast &furious and the hangover.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

All you have to do is go to any bookstore, toy aisle or video game store to know that isn't true.

16. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I love Trek and Wars, but in a "choose or die" situation I'd take Trek in a heartbeat. Is it just me, or is there almost something "cooler" about being the hardcore fan of the less popular and, well, more "culty" franchise? I've often felt that way.

17. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

We live in uncertain times. ;)

18. Flake

Well I am very happy to prefer Trek. I mean, if you only liked StarWars that would mean you have two decent movies, two so-so movies and two bad movies to choose from whereas in Trek I have hundreds of hours of good stuff to watch :)

Star Wars has got better computer games though :)

19. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Once you go down that path it becomes harder to steer away from it.

I'm still not used to Doctor Who being popular. Its not really mine anymore.

I'd have to side with Wars over Trek, it's just been part of my life longer.

20. Therin of Andor

What "path"? Making sure your main actors will appeal to the biggest demographic? How is that "a path"? They still have to be good actors, not just pretty. And they are!

The strategy did precisely what Paramount and CBS were hoping for last time: "Star Trek (2009)" caused a huge spike in sales of all Star Trek boxed sets of DVDs.

You only need a few of those screaming teens to graduate to flully-fledged "Star Trek" supporter each movie and the franchise stays alive.