Fringe Series Finale (Discussion, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Procutus, Jan 17, 2013.

?

Grade 'Liberty/An Enemy of Fate'

1. Excellent - Fringe at its very best

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Very Good

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  3. Good

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. Average

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Bad

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Really Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Terrible beyond words - encase this ep in amber!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

5x12 - "Liberty"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5x13 - "An Enemy of Fate"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow, I can't believe I'm writing the last live Fringe discussion we'll have. It's been one hell of a ride, and I'm really sad to see it all end. From everything I've read, a lot of effort went into making final story that was actually designed to make long-time fans of the show happy. I certainly hope so, and that the expectation does not prove to be greater than the event.

:)

One note about the poll: I thought about it all week, trying to decide how to do it, as this is really two separate eps, but the thread can contain just one poll. I've opted to treat it as if it truly were a two-hour finale ep, so I hope that's OK with most everyone. Certainly, we can dissect both eps on an individual basis here in the thread itself.

Let the discussion begin!

:bolian:

2. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't believe the end is almost here. How can it be television without Walter Bishop on it?

Looking forward to the finale greatly and the last chat here. :techman:

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

TV Guide is doing a 4 part farewell to Fringe and here's the links to parts one, two and three. Four isn't up yet as far as I can tell. It features comments from the actors, produers, writers Fox executives about the creation of the show and about different aspects of the show.

part one

part two

part three

part four

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  4. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I'm feeling much the same way.

:(

Thanks for those links, EiG!

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope that it's better than most of season 4 and all of season 5 so far.

6. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't believe the end is here.

7. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

There's no doubt that the last two seasons have been completely different in tone to the first three, which for many of us, was what Fringe was all about. While I really didn't like S4 all that much, I have found this abreviated final season to be compelling, and I think the main reason for that is that although the scenario is changed, the character dynamics have returned to what they were in S3. Especially now that Michael placed Walter's original memories back into his scrambled brain.

I also like the tight story-telling here, done by nature of having only a half-season to do it in.

8. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I understand it, this will be being simulcast on Sky 1 for UK viewers at 1.00am.

9. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Dammit! :(

There aren't many series I would purchase on DVD these days in the age of Netflix and On Demand; FRINGE will be one of them...

Hell of an AV, Enterprise is Great!

10. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I am excited and sad all at the same time. I will really miss seeing this group of characters interact. The cast has such good chemistry. I do hope we get to see Broils one last time. I've missed seeing him this season.

12. Borgminister

13. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Watch your futures' end! Can't wait!

14. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

15. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey -- not sure if i need to start a separate thread on this...but i saw the Pilot last week on Science channel...a couple of random observations:

1) they noted there was a previous Fringe team...which apparently didn't end well. Was there any follow up to this?

2) Astrid was there in the beginning...but curious how she never seemed all that unnerved with the weird stuff happening (or Walter's behavior). There's a backstory that was never told (but should have been)

3) forgot that Nina was there form the beginning also, as well as mention of William Bell.

4) I was noted that Peter is a genius but a high school drop out...and it seems his talents were more in the business world/ semi-con-man type of work (though he WAS a professor at a university for a while before being exposed). That part seemed to be kinda ignored over the years (focusing more on his scientific knowledge)

I know there's been a lot that seems inconsistent over the years (such as the Observers)...but the characters "feel" the same from that pilot. It wil be interesting how they wrap it up tonight.

16. bigdaddy

Which is one of my two huge problems with what the show has become.

You don't watch characters grow for three years just to have them thrown to the side and forgotten. That's just stupid.

Then the Observers make no sense. No matter how many times people try to explain why they invaded it doesn't make sense. Why invade now? Why invade just to pollute the world even faster? If they can see every possible outcome like Peter did when he became one of them, then why haven't they caught our team? Why are there no females? And we will clearly not be getting those answers tonight.

17. Borgminister

18. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I seriously hope this isn't the last time we see John Noble playing Walter Bishop. I'd take him doing internet spots at this point. That's how great the character and his performance is.

19. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I agree with you totally on the invasion part, I'm STILL expecting an answer on that issue. And your last statement is also most likely on target, we probably won't learn why this happened in tonight's finale.

But I still like this season better than the fourth, but not as much as 1 - 3.

20. bigdaddy

I honestly didn't see most of season 4, I had a life briefly ad didn't care to follow completely, so yes the 5th is more enjoyable.