Orci strikes back

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mountie1988, Sep 6, 2013.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Now this, I would have to agree with. I would have to argue that TNG set a different tone from TOS, one that was to be the standard of all subsequent Star Trek shows, including Enterprise.

For me, I found the new movies to be quite evocative of TOS, especially after watching TOS on blu-ray recently.

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I completely disagree, and I started watching Trek with TOS before TNG existed. Honestly, though, I don't really care how evocative of the original series the new movies are. Just give me a good story. There's got to be potential for better stories than just "Evil Bad Guy out for revenge."

3. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Good for Orci, deleting his Twitter account.

I hope the next movie has a scene where a ship filled with 100 redshirts warps into Klingon space and is immediately destroyed by a Klingon warship. For no good reason. At all.

4. Hober Mallow

Back in the day, when Isaac Asimov was first getting stories published, readers of the SF magazines would write reviews of, or simply share their thoughts on, the stories being published. When readers would criticize an Asimov story, he would write back, sometimes angrily, and tell the readers why they were wrong. I think it was L. Sprague De Camp who finally took Asimov aside and said, "Jesus Christ, Isaac, just let the readers have their opinions."

5. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Whoo-hoo a bunch of asshole fans chased a member of the production off twitter and fucked over direct interaction witht he production whoo-hoo! They's so k00lz!

Bunch of fucking jack asses.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Totally agree, particularly for the 2009 one.

7. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

^Both for me. Love it!

8. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Where was the first? If both refer to the Prime Directive issue in the prologue, the film seemed to approve of his disregarding it (and to be very inconsistent in how seriously Starfleet officers and higher-ups regarded it).

There was indeed some growth with those developments (although his demotion was too brief and it seemed that Marcus fooled almost everyone).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013
  9. Hober Mallow

No one forced Orci to make himself look like a fool. He did that all by himself.

10. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

And no one forced that assholes to behave like assholes. He responded to them. And he didn't look like a fool, he looked like a man that had enough of him and his colleagues being bashed repeatedly by a bunch of spoiled children.

But yeah, I'm sure it won't shut people up about it and they'll be able to piss and moan again about how the writers don't listen to the fans.

11. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I'm sure that's what Orci is thinking - that the fans are a bunch of "fucking jack assses". That's exactly the reason why he apologized.

I can hardly wait until another person on the Trek team tells the fans to fuck off. I'm sure you would approve.

You win. :rolleyes:

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't bother me if he said it to my face. If you're acting like a fucking jackass don't expect someone not to get mad at you over it. Could he have handled it better? Sure. Did he have to? Nope. It was brutal, it was honest, and a well deserved slap in the face to the jackasses.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Some "fans" should fuck off.

14. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Look I don't need to interact with Orci. Frankly I don't think my opinions are/should be that important to him.

But there are others out there who enjoyed it and probably Orci did a bit too.

Now no-one has that opportunity.

Say if GR were still alive and I met him, I wouldn't ask him about the 'bad' things he's accused of, if I could actually talk at this point I'd thank him for starting Star Trek etc. If he posted here I'd make sure I was a bit more respectful with my posts about him.
    And also I've made a bit of a joke about Shatner's looks on one thread (which I truly believe LOL) but if he were posting here I'd just shut my big mouth. Not because I was a hypocrite but because he also deserves respect and I don't want to spoil it for everyone else.
    Same with Orci or any of the other artists who worked on Star Trek.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You know what would solve this? If some fans would quit acting like entitled jackasses.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Know what would be really nice? If certain fans would desist from taking swipes at certain other fans and/or groups thereof. That would be swell.

I wag my finger at those to whom this applies. [​IMG] (Y'all know who you are.)

17. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Incoming finger wag. Sound collision.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

When exactly did he apologize? Not that I'm saying he should, I'm just curious.

For me, I couldn't care less about the threat that "the fans will no longer be listened to." You know how people keep mentioning spoiled children and entitled fans? Orci is one of them too. He's a Trek fan who thinks he's better than "those fans". Does no one else see the irony there?

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

He apologized on his--now defunct--twitter account. There was some caps floating around of it.

Actually, he is better than "those fans". Same as any of the production team over the years. They made it. They got called up to the big leagues. So, yeah they are better than those of us taking the piss on a messageboard. He was/is right: if you think you can do better, do better. Create a script that revitalizes a floundering franchise, meets the expectations of the studio and the mass market, and make it a success. Put the hours in and fight the fights that go along with the business.

Being critical of the work, the content is one thing. But when you go after the person--as Orci and others on the production have been in some cases--it just comes off as jealous children throwing stones.

If you're not in the game, you don't get to call the plays, only comment on the result.

Harlan's Wisdom that needs repeating about the relationship between fans and writers.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Isn't that all we're doing? Commenting on the result?