Section 31 is a positive for the Federation (spoilers from TV & books)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by randomfan86, Apr 6, 2013.

1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    Re: Section 31 is a positive for the Federation (spoilers from TV & bo

this is historical myth. Japan was already on the verge of conditional surrender by the bombing of Hiroshima, they were using the USSR as a go-between. What they were concerned with was the preservation of the emperor. Dropping the a-bomb was about making sure that it was an unconditional surrender and it was about intimidating the USSR with what America could do. Either way, an invasion of the homeland would not have been necessary. And if they had needed to use the atom bomb, a demonstration in an uninhabited area could have been made.

2. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

If Section 31 had ever intended to use the cure why didn't they let it known that they had it instead of letting Earth and Betazed get attacked? And for that matter why hide the fact that they had the cure in the first place let alone the fact that they spread the virus in the first place? And where's the proof that the Bajorian colony was outside of Dominion space, In any event they had no knowledge of the wormhole until after people started coming over to their side of it, their confromtation with the Federation was aided by the discovery of the wormhole.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's see, likely Admiral Ross (as a member of S31) knew of the sickness and the cure. And S31 (at least claimed) that the President's inner circle included a S31 member.

Initially the sickness had to be kept a secret from the Founders so they wouldn't contain the spread, perhaps quarantine their own people who traveled to and from the alpha quad.

Even after knowledge of the sickness and the cure moved outside of S31, the Federation Council (who might have known about it from the start) made the decision to withhold it until they thought it wise to release it to the Founders.

At that point, it became a political decision.

:)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  4. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

admiral ross wasn't a member, he just went along with the plan.

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty much. They're no more a part of the Federation than Cerberus is part of the Systems Alliance.

Section 31 is more a cabal than anything else.

6. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Well, morality doesn't exist and anything goes in life. I don't think Section 31's actions can really be deemed "wrong". I'm sure many Gamma Quadrant races would deem it poetic justice. :lol:

7. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Thankfully an overwhelming majority of humanity disagrees with this sentiment.

8. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

lol.. can you read minds?

9. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

he read mine

10. T'Girl

Debatable, my point stands. S31 might not have been informing every Captain, Commander and Ensign about the cure, but it's likely that some people higher up knew about it. Within the Admiralty, the Council, the President.

The people in S31 are apparently from among the member people of the Federation, how do you figure they're not "part of the Federation?"

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Though at least Cerberus has their own ships, and armies, and secret bases, and a cooler magnificent bastard chess master boss, and pretty much everything else needed to make them a more effective and scary evil organization then section 31 could ever hope to be.

I mean seriously Section 31 couldn't do crap if they didn't have access to Starfleet toys and personal which is another reason they suck at this. It also makes their bitching about Starfleet idealism hypocritical since they can't do s@#t without either their unknowing help or coerced help.

I mean really why hasn't Starfleet told them to f@#k off already and see how "dangerous" they are when they have to use their own non existent resources. I'd give them a week at most before the organization fell apart.

Cerberus at lest is self sufficient for the most part

Actually its been taken to mean that they're SPYING on the president.

The same way Cerberus isn't a part of the System's Alliance. they may use resources from it but they don't answer to it. Which makes them a rouge terrorist group.

12. Greylock Crescent

No. But I read. And study. I think critically and rationally. Then draw informed, intelligent conclusions. If you're interested in evidence, this would be a good place to begin.

13. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Well critical thinking has shown me and frankly many Westerners that morality is non-existent, and that anything goes since nothing is absolute.

14. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

you going to do the 'greed is good' speech from Wall Street?

15. Greylock Crescent

Heh ... in that case, those "many Westerners" are thoroughly ignoring (either willfully or naively) the evolution of the entire foundation of their civilization, dating back to the American and French Revolutions, the Magna Carta, Rome (including the teachings of Christ), and ancient Greece (among many other moral influences).

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose you agreed with John Calhoun's speech citing that slavery was morally acceptable and a fundamental good for the United States as well.

17. Greylock Crescent

^ To whom (or rather to which argument) is this comment directed?

18. T'Girl

But the people who make up S31, are from within the Federation. Sloan is a human, iirc from Earth. Why would the hundred of billions of people from the many Member worlds have to "answer to" the Federation?

You make the Federation sound like a police state.

19. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

Please note: I respectfully do not include novels in my opinion as I, by choice, do not count them as canon.

I agree. I thought DS9's introduction of Section 31 was brilliant and fixed a lot of dipshit things incorporated into The Next Generation. The dovish unliteralism was inane and totally unrealistic - it wasn't even a noble ideal.

Then again I would have demoted Picard for not weaponizing Hugh and wholeheartedly agreed with the infecting of The Changlings with a genocidal virus.

I mean, I loved "Star Trek" since the start and loved the future it suggested. None of which included a "peace at all costs and sacrifices" ideology. You strove for peace. A peace built upon a foundation of mutual benefit and respect - not one based on fear or paid for by a loss of self-determination.

BTW, where did that come from? What moron came-up with the Federation signing a treaty that allowed there self-declared antagonists to develope stealth technology unrestricted while they could not even research ways by which to detect such things? How is that anything but stoopid! And what Next Gen imbecile thought the pinnacle of a civilization's moral developement lay in their ability to talk themselves into laying down and excepting extinction?

I start off every episode of DS9 with a moment of silent praise for RDM and company for giving us Section 31.

20. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

My biggest gripe about Section 31 when i was watching DS9 was it was completely counter to Roddenberry's vision of the future. While I was not opposed to an organization like Section 31 exisiting. The Romulans have the black ops Tal Shiar, and the Romulan military, civillians and other governments know about them. The Obsidian Order was black ops for the Cardassians, and again other governments knew about them. No one outside select few Star Fleet officers who have had interactions with Section 31 and possibly the entire Star Fleet Admiralty and Star Fleet Command knowsabout Section 31. Why so secretive? The fact that the Star Fleet Command would not confirm nor deny it's existence in DS9 'Inquisition' is very telling. While at the time I dismissed the line as writers trying to sound cool using a military phrase usually reserved for secrets and kills, but now after watching Enterprise and comparing Harris' and Sloan's actions i think I understand what Section 31 is.

Section 31 is an organization that acts to preserve and protect humanity. Not the Federation, but humanity. It's in the Earth Star Fleet charter in ENT, all Section 31 members are human we've seen, they are willing to take extreme actions such as genocide of an entire species to win a war, murder and extortion are not above them, and Star Fleet doesn't lift a finger to reprimand them for any of it.

I think fans would be more comfortable with Section 31 if there were public and not a cloak and dagger organization under Star Fleet. Star Fleet Command can say yes they exist but what they do is classified. Like the CIA and MI6. We know they infiltrate terrorist organizations, we know they use drones that kill the civilian populations of countries each occupy, and we know they lead assassinations against nuclear scientists in Iran and other countries. That's Section 31 in the Trekverse.