Things you thought were stupid on ds9.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Mr Pointy Ears, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Im watching ds9 again to prepared for the oz comic con vist to Australia from nana and im notice things that I didn't think about ds9.i thought I were stupid ideaslike having sisko being half prophet,section 31 and of course ezri dax,what things didn't you like being written into ds9?.

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

First of all, yes you do have a right to have opinions like those. However, Sisko wasn't half prophet. He was full human. Sarah was just possessed by a Prophet when she got Chef Sisko to knock her up.

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

As Finn said, Sisko is 100% human.

I personally dislike Section 31, as its led to some pretty daft fanwank ideas about how to use it for future series, especially when its something so covert and secretive that only a handful of people know of its existence.

I don't get the hate about Ezri. She was a nice character and an interesting idea that helped give things another little shake up in S7. Yes, she was give a few episodes to develop and flesh out her character, but she didn't take over the series (like another female added to another Trek show). I personally would've liked the character to be male, just to have them really mess with the likes of Worf, Bashir and Quark.

Section 31 aside, there isn't anything I find "stupid" about DS9. There are things I would've liked to have seen, but a few little bits here and there that I'd have liked done differently, but (to me anyways) DS9 is Trek at its very best.

4. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

^^agree with Bry, and I remembering us very affectionately referring to DS 9 as "Third World Star Trek"...can't think of a "stupid" thing, but there were some anomalies...never did like that rolling door, and had to be in the mood for Odo...

5. JaxsBrokenHeart

JaxsBrokenHeart Commander Red Shirt

Not really stupid per say, but the generic characterization of Pah'Wraiths was disappointing and especially striking in a show that has arguably the most nuanced villain in the history of the series with Dukat. A group of non-corporeal beings who while very different from the Prophets, still had enough complexity and shades to the point where you could understand while some Bajorans would worship them would have been fascinating.

Especially when one considers the interesting stories one could have gotten with the likes of Kira, Sisko, Winn, and others confronting the faith in such beings vs. their own beliefs and experiences. Instead we got evil counterparts to the virtuous Prophets, with occasional demonic possession of the main characters. A lost opportunity in my view at least.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't remember the episode names, but Alex Sidding's acting in that season 1 episode where he was possessed was probably Trek's worst acting ever. Some of the alien hairstyles were embarrassing, like the refugee woman with the ridiculous tall hair and bad skin.

FanST likes this.
  7. PaleMoonlight

PaleMoonlight Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I've always really liked the idea of Section 31, the whole "evolved sensibility" thing of TNG (which is at its strongest in the first 2 seasons I think) is good and everything, but its also good to see another side to it all. Even in the 2300s the saying "desperate times..." still applies.

8. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

"The Passenger". I think the problem stemmed from the dialogue looping/dubbing process the series used.

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thinking Runabouts were enough to deliver the characters to the stories.
    I still opine that this show starts when the Defiant arrives.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The MU arc.
    The genetically engineered folks.
    Everything with Rom before they made him competent.
    The FCA. The idea that the Ferengi have some central government authority that dictates how people can conduct business contradicts it otherwise being presented as a laissez-faire Ayn Rand-topia. DS9 did its best with Quark to de-cartoonify the Ferengi, but Brunt and the FCA always did their best to cartoon them back up again.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Not talking to Quark when he wanted to sell weapons. As if Starfleet didn't have folks working on phasers themselves.

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Odo can transform himself into the spitting image of a rat, but darned if he can't get a human face quite right. But that's okay, because his people have the same problem -- except when they don't.

I hated the Defiant when it first appeared. I thought it was an unnecessary concession to the idiot portion of the fanbase whose criticism of the show was that "it didn't go anywhere."

13. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't class these as "stupid", but things that could have been adjusted.

I don't think it was necessary for Erzi to be a main character. If you don't kill Dax you have to have it return, but I think they could have had an episode or two with a guest character and deal with the whole Dax is back stuff and get it out of the way. There is a gender imbalance, but the show had some strong female supporting characters who could have been given more prominence to help address that.

The seemingly forgotten point of Starfleet in the Bajor system was to get Bajor into the Federation. Would have liked to see/hear something regarding that towards the end. Best case, see Bajor join the Federation.

MU Vic...a step too far in an episode that was probably one too many visits to the MU.

Weyoun's comment Breen is a pleasant place. For some reason it made me roll my eyes when I heard it. The Breen are mysterious, we get it! Plus they seem terribly careless with their refrigeration suits. People were constantly stealing and wearing them.

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Though it did produce my favorite exchange in the episode--

Mirror Ezri: I'm trying to save your lives.
    Zek: That's a very worthy goal!

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The Ferengi stuff could get a bit too OTT for the rest of the show, but I took the bad with the good....

You know...I never thought of that, but that could have been a very interesting idea. Be a little more daring and take things out of the comfort zone a bit....

Oh, good lord! I just rewatched Season 1 for the first time in years, and he was absolutely HORRIBLE. I kept trying to "get" what he was doing, and it never clicked...it was just crap acting.

16. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have liked the next host to have been Odo:

[​IMG]

That would screw with people in more ways than one.

17. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just a few of my top peeves:

I really disliked the reveal that Sisko's mother was possessed by the prophets to bring about his birth... ugh.

I did not like the Dominion War going on too long and pretty much ruining a series I had loved from the very start.

Killing off Jadzia. Ezri was fine, but I still think they could've allowed Terry to leave without killing off Jadzia. I know Behr's argument was "what could be the justification of her leaving Worf and the station at a time of war?" or something like that - I can think of plenty of good reasons precisely because of the war! Covert mission, section 31, or even perhaps a previous host had expert knowledge of XYZ and Dax needed to leave for a while.

Poor treatment of Alexander Rozhenko. Character assassination at its worst. Alexander was in a great place at the end of TNG, so rather than build on that, DS9 just decided to ruin the character by making him comic relief for a couple of episodes? Um, yeah, thanks guys.

Most of my problems stem from season 6-7. DS9 hit a high point in season 4-5 and then dropped into mediocrity for most of its latter years. Yes, I know I'm in the minority with that one, but there it is. Season 6-7 had some good episodes, but far too much disappointment for my liking.

18. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I stopped watching around season five. I just didn't care about the war stories. Had the writing been better and the Dominion been more interesting I might have stuck the series out. Eventually I saw the remainder of the series, and I really like "In the Pale Moonlight," but otherwise my opinion remains unchanged.

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Siddig's performance of Vantica was pretty much "Hold your head perfectly still and over-elongate some syllables and over-emphasize others."

I did like the ending of that episode though when she just vaporized his remains.

20. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I recently re-watched "Way of the Warrior" and noticed a couple things I thought were just stupid:

Sisko and Kira taking the elevator to the Defiant when Kasidy sends her distress call. Not only do they not beam over, Sisko basically tells Dax they'll wait for her. Hello, emergency!

Even worse though was the race back to DS9 later, when the Defiant docks at the station before the big battle with the Klingons. The Defiant isn't some pissant ship with no weapons; it's a damn battleship! Why isn't it out there fighting too, defending the station?