Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Relayer1, Jun 13, 2013.

?

Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?

1. I'll get both

10 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4)

49 vote(s)
    52.1%
  3. Staying with Xbox (360 to One)

14 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4)

21 vote(s)
    22.3%
  5. Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You count, just not for the purposes of this poll. :p

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

A 3DS XL.

This poll is lame.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've actually been thinking about getting a 3DS myself. I need to get some Pokemon back in my life.

4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a 360 owner and, unless Sony drop the ball somehow, I'll probably be purchasing a PS4. The Xbox One just doesn't appear to be good value due to all the DRM stuff, the higher price, and it's weaker system specs. My current plan is to wait until a few months after launch to get it, but I might be persuaded to preorder it if I find a really good deal.

Their marketing chief, Yusuf Mehdi, explained their thinking in this article:

So it seems like their marketing research told them that the hardcore gamers wouldn't like it but most consumers wouldn't bother to find out about the DRM before buying, so they decided to go for it. They may be right about that, consumers can be pretty stupid. But their mass cancelling of press interviews at E3 indicates that the backlash was larger than they expected and they're struggling to overcome the bad PR.

5. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a good thing.

I've got no stock in the whole "PS vs XBox" war. I own neither. I own no consoles, at all. I'm a PC gamer.

But the changes to gaming the success of XBox One will bring about will be monumental and horrible for gamers.

Only XBox One's failure to sell will be a good thing for gamers as a whole.

It will declare in one loud resounding voice that if you try to pull this sort of bullshit, you will fail big-time. And that no degree of console loyalty will ever over-ride outright sanity.

XBOX One must fail or it'll destroy gaming.

If I liked consoles, I'd buy a PS4 just to spit in Microsoft's eye over this BS.

PS: No, not an MS hater either - I use Windows. I use friggin VISTA, FFS. :P

PPS: you should have another poll option: "I'm a PC Gamer" ;)

6. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a 360 and will be switching to a PS4 due to Microsoft's shenanigans. I'll probably wait awhile, though, as all the games I'm interested in this fall are available for the 360. The only downside for me is no more Halo.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Animal Crossing for me, they finally made one that feels like a sequel.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I think what they'll likely learn, the hard way, is that customers aren't as stupid as they think they are. In a way, what they've done has really made people stand up and notice to what's being done, not just with the XBox, but in DRM in general. So, if there's one good thing to come out of this, it's that. Their tactics don't seem quite sound.

9. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Really shows why Nintendo are the only ones I have any form of brand loyalty to. Miyamoto says used games aren't a problem if you make games that people want to keep playing.

Meanwhile Cliff Bleszinski says you can't have game rental, used games, etc. while games cost so much to make. Then make cheaper games. The games I've enjoyed most of late? Thomas Was Alone. New Super Mario U, Portal 2, etc. Are not $200m games, don't need the fastest processors and the most up to date graphics cards. They're just good games.

I suppose we can't have $200m blockbuster movies with a rental market and secondhand DVDs either? What a load of crap.

10. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

You know.. that marketing guy is actually right. E3 is a special event and is attended by enthusiasts and hardcore gamers. Of course they will know more about this stuff and pay very close attention.

But Joe Schmoe clicking on Amazon links or wandering into the store? He doesn#t care a bit.. he sees pretty looking, cool games and is being told he needs the new console so he/she will buy it no questions asked.

Many, if not most people, have internet connections so connecting once a day is irrelevant for them. They'll also not be much into trading off games so there goes the second point.

This is what MS aims at.. they know they will have a bad standing with the hardcore group and are trying their best to spin it and reduce the backlash lest average and less informed potential customer doesn't get any funny ideas and switches over to a competitor, i.e. Sony.

Question is will the DRM actively hamper the average customer? If that starts to happen, i.e. the stereotypical "Oh.. my internet cut out.. let's play some games! - WTF????" (similar to the RROD fiasco with the 360) then they may get into trouble.

MS doesn't employ dumb people.. they do their homework and they look at the current lifestyle and they have designed the XBO to work within that lifestyle. Question is if that gamble pays off and to what extent they are willing to piss off potential customers so they can still grab the majority of the potential buyers.

No matter what people say here or at IGN/Gamespot/the million other video gaming sites.. the XBO will most likely be a success and Sony won't dominate the market like the did during the PS1 and PS2 days. That's over once MS established itself in the market and permanently grabbed a piece of the pie.

11. Lt. Uhura-Brown

Lt. Uhura-Brown Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They should rename it the Xbox None.

Even though I live in one of the only 21 countries that'll be getting it, I'm still not going to validate Microsoft's asinine approach to console gaming.

12. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I'm getting a Wii U, I have a feeling it will pull a 3DS with a slow start and then picking up as soon as the good stuff is released.

If I have to pick between Microsoft and Sony the PS4 wins, no contest. The XBone is unappealing, there's no way that thing will ever be in my living room, the biggest problem for me isn't even the DRM stuff, it's the always connected and always on or the thing won't work camera. Fuck Microsoft!

13. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Since sis is working for MS, I know she'll be given an Xbone and that I'll end up with it. I'll call it my Halo Player because it's the only exclusive I'm interested in.

I'll definitely buy a PS4.

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Its certainly looking as if Microsoft are going to get a good kicking amongst hardened gamers.

I wonder if it will appeal to more casual purchasers ? Are there casual purchasers for a $500 console ? If not I could see this being Microsoft's exit from the market.

15. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

PC Master Race. I've got a year old, middle of the road computer I built a year ago for less then a grand that _destroys_ both of these machines. Maybe in a year or two after the price drops and there is a decent library of games, but I'm not paying $500 plus an extra controller and then paying $60-100 a year to play online when there are only a couple of launch titles that interest me that I can't already play on the PC (like WoT).

16. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't entirely agree. I have no interest in purchasing an Xbox One as things stand because I find the DRM too restrictive, but some of the game sharing features they've mentioned are a step up on what we have now with the current digital distribution model. The ability to share games on your account with up to 10 "family" members (MS have confirmed they don't need to be actual family members), plus the ability to transfer your game licence to a friend (with caveats) are an improvement on Steam and other digital storefronts. If MS has some modest success then there'll be pressure on the likes of Steam to adopt similar features.

That being said, I still think the required internet connection and restrictions on disc-based games are asinine and I refuse to purchase the console for those reasons.

That's what Microsoft is counting on, but I think they've miscalculated on that front.

Firstly, retailers like Gamestop aren't happy about the Xbox One's restrictions on used games as it's a threat to their business model, and there's already rumours of employees in their stores cautioning customers away from the console. Even if the company as a whole officially supports XBO, it's almost a certainty that they'll more heavily push the PS4 as there's more money there for them, so I imagine that the PS4 will have pride of place when you walk in the store and there'll be more shelf-space for PS4 games. At the very least they will be informing customers of the restrictions when they attempt to buy the console so as to limit the number of returns they receive.

Secondly, MS appears to have underestimated the importance of the hardcore gamers as early adopters. When a casual gamer is looking to purchase a new console a year or two down the line, one of the important criteria in that decision is which console their friends already have so that they can play multiplayer together, or trade games with one another. If the early adopters lean heavily in favour of the PS4, which appears likely right now, that will give Sony a big boost long-term.

Maybe Microsoft accounted for all this in their market research and they have a plan to overcome it all. But that's not the impression they're giving out at the moment, they appear to be genuinely taken aback by all the hate they received and are struggling to find a message to get the hardcore back. I hope they succeed enough to continue to provide competition to Sony, but that they take enough of a hit to back away from this anti-consumer crap in the future.

17. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neither. I'm a PC gamer through and through, and have never owned a single console in my life.

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

This poll needs some extra options:

• Not upgrading
    • Moving from consoles back to PC gaming
    I would select either of those.

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a shame because some of the XBOXOne features are pretty rad but they've shot themselves in the foot with all of the limitations and restrictions.

20. TheMurph

TheMurph Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing I'm curious about. With the push towards digital gaming, and the ability to directly download the game, why does the price not change? Should it not be cheaper for you if you download a game for your XBONE? Since there is no reason to purchase a disc anymore, as all the games will be stored on the HD...? This is not necessarily a bash at MS, because as far as I can tell that's the case for all.

Anyway, beyond my little sidetrack there, I will be going with PS4 when it comes time to upgrade from my 360. I only buy used games, so MS will put a major damper on my gaming and it's not worth the hassle.