Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I amnot Herbert

I amnot Herbert Lieutenant Commander

..be careful. this is nothing compared to what happened to me over in the nu-trek forum.

i've commented before: this place should be called SnarkTrekBBS. it's sad, but i think it is a true reflection of our society...

my experience? you have to have thick skin to be here... :p

Good Luck, my friend! ;)

2. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

Herbert, I tried to send you a PM to inform you how wrong you are about this forum, but I see you have disengaged the PM function. It has been very civilized around here until lately.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  3. I amnot Herbert

I think it's cuz i have pop-ups blocked? anyway, sorry...

yeah, no it's been MUCH better here lately (and since the holidays are over)(glug, glug...):beer:
    they got chased off a while back, but the shit-birds have followed me everywhere... :rolleyes:

anyway... 'nuff said hopefully

4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I wasn't going to say anything about this because it will likely just bring all the bullies back to my doorstep but you've caught me on a bad day, so what the hell:

Aggressive? Kind of like how a bunch of people suddenly showed up to bully and drown out one poster's opinion on the piece after being charged to do so from another site?

My, my what precious, precious egos we all have.

You miss Joe's point. Firstly, he said passive aggressive. Little bit of a difference there. Secondly, the fixation he spoke of wasn't on him. The point I think he's making is that the majority of Axanar supporters seem pathologically incapable of accepting any kind of criticism or anything that doesn't constitute falling down praise and that by fixating on this particular comparison (to previous official episodes) it is a passive aggressive way to combat the legitimate criticism of the piece.

Pointing out that "No, this is nothing like what Star Trek used to be" isn't an aggressive insult. It's a pointed fact that Peters and his cronies refuse to acknowledge and likely only come here to complain about because unlike at Facebook, they can't just flip the "Delete Post" switch here at their pleasure.

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The only reason you received the treatment you did was because as soon as you joined the TrekBBS, you felt the need to immediately go to the nuTrek forum and proceed to bash it. Obviously an action like that was not going to go over well with those people who are fans. You knew exactly what you were doing, and you knew the response you would get, so please drop the overly dramatic victim complex because you're not fooling anyone.

6. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well hello again! :D

005 wrote: "Secondly, the fixation he spoke of wasn't on him."

Joe wrote: "The passive aggressive way you guys have fixated ON ME is odd"

Case closed...

The point the critics can´t seem to grasp that their critique is open for critique as well.

7. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Critique, not critic. Post, not poster. While I realise it's not always easy to live up to that standard, I do believe it's an important distinction. One which would make life much more pleasant for us all if we at least tried. :)

8. doubleohfive

Ah. Well then that's my bad. Apologies for the mix-up.

Fair point. And one I completely agree with -- as well as with Nick's clarification too.

The difference however, as I stated above and which you conveniently have ignored, is that it isn't just critiques being critiqued. The Axanar P.R. machine is utterly unable to stomach even the slightest bit of criticism (as evidenced by Alec's marching orders to his minions to come troll me here) and only subsided when some of the more rational-minded members of that crowd urged the rest to knock it off.

I have no problem defending my opinions. But when the people "critiqueing the critique" turn around and make it about me that's when it becomes something entirely different.

9. I amnot Herbert

...well and succinctly put. full agree. and cheers! :techman:

10. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

"Post not poster" is a good rule of thumb for measuring how your post is going to look before you post it. It's simply another way of saying "think before you post". I don't agree with every poster on every issue (far from it, especially in TNZ) but I will say that I've met several posters in real life and enjoyed the company of all of them (some more than others, but that's life isn't it?) so rather than attacking someone for having a different opinion, why not assume that it's just a disagreement over something that (let's face it) really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things and give yourself a chance to make a new friend? I don't know about you, but I can't have enough friends and don't see any need to eliminate the chance to make new ones by getting into a pissing match over something that we all enjoy. :shrug:

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The simplest check to see if you've crossed the line is to look for the words "you" and "your" and their ilk in a post.

And, funnily enough, every person I've ever seen on this BBS kvetching about being singled out or picked on has pretty much brought it on themselves by being intractable and, frequently, rude.

12. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of passive aggressiveness...

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Can't see a reason why a fan production wouldn't take advantage of fellow fans who want to support that production. As long as they use the money wisely, more power too them.

14. doubleohfive

I'm sure, with the already attained $600,000 and also the nice little $45,000 bit Axanar got from the fundraisers for those shoddily written "These Are The Voyages" books, there's no shortage of people willing to support the project.

I just don't happen to be one of those people. :techman:

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Well thanks for sharing - I guess? There does seem to be a bit of a difference between not contributing and making comments that are oh so carefully shaded to arouse a somewhat suspicious curiosity.

16. doubleohfive

I think you said it best yourself:

If the Axanar team is doing everything in a sincere and transparent fashion, then I would submit there's nothing to be concerned about.

That said, the association with Cushman's self-published books is, in my opinion, a cause for concern.

17. BigJake

This.

I'll bet. But your opinions about the publishing industry have not proved to be particularly well-informed or interesting, unfortunately.

18. doubleohfive

It has become quite apparent as the curiosities and ambiguities surrounding These Are The Voyages have become more pronounced and prevalent that Cushman is a hack writer and that there is definitely something shady going on with his self-publication of those books.

Anyone with half an hour to spend and even the least amount of skill in online research would be able to dig up enough information verify this, as has been ably demonstrated by several posters on this board already. I just happen to agree with them on the issue. :)

19. BigJake

No, it's apparent *to you.* But then you also thought that twenty thousand dollars was somehow a suspiciously large amount of money to spend on the publication of a book, and a worthwhile excuse for what has become your genre of "I am suspicious about the ethics of this Kickstarter" comments. Which completely unsurprisingly you just chose to reprise a soft-soaped version of here.

(You seem puzzled about why some people have trouble believing your protestations about being a "fan of Axanar" and that all your criticisms are in good faith and have nothing to do with your incredibly evident grudge against Alec Peters. Let me help you: stuff like this is why. Of course you're generally canny enough to apologize whenever you overstep the mark... but having watched long enough, I've noticed by now the consistency with which you replicate the behaviour and push the same talking points, apologies or no.)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  20. doubleohfive

I have never once shied away from my distaste for Alec Peters nor his utter inability to accept anything short of unadulterated praise for every word he types. His conduct on this board and how he interacted with anyone who disagreed with him or what he wanted to do speaks for itself. And, let's not forget his rallying the troops over on Facebook to come over here to troll me. Your attempts to bait me here by accusing me of holding a grudge against Peters when you yourself seem to hold just as stubborn a grudge against me are laughable.

None of this, however, preclude my ability to appreciate the teaser film he produced (even if I have my quibbles with it) nor does it prevent me from being able to keep an open mind and wait for the full film to be released before judging it by its own merits. Liking something, and wanting it to succeed need not be mutually exclusive from also recognizing and pointing out the flaws therein or the curious circumstances surrounding that thing.

As we do not know each other personally, I will thank you not to cast such dubious aspersions upon my character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.