Poll: vote for your favourite TNG characters at OpaVote

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by kriegaex, Nov 21, 2014.

1. kriegaex

kriegaex Cadet Newbie

Hi, Trek BBS community.

I am a newbie here. Because I wanted to test OpaVote and have been a TNG fan since the early 1990s, I created this poll:
    http://www.opavote.org/vote/6265244787671040

You can perform an ordered vote for 16 main TNG characters (my personal choice, sorry). Ordered means that you have to select a ranking between all characteres offered. The result will be calculated according to the relative preferences of all participants (up to 50 AFAIK, otherwise the poll would not be free). Anyway, the number of voters should be enough to give some kind of indication who is the most popular character. I will present the results. If <50 voters participate in the poll, it automatically ends at 28 Nov 2014, 07:15 CET.

This is just for fun, so please participate and don't cheat. :-)

2. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You forgot Dr. Katherine Pulaski, my all time favourite Star Trek character.

3. kriegaex

kriegaex Cadet Newbie

No, I did not forget her, it was a deliberate omission because I never felt she was the "real" doctor - probably my personal bias towards Dr. Beverly. As I said, it was a personal (very subjective) choice. I am sorry that your favourite character is not on the list and hope you can forgive me.

4. Zek

Zek Lieutenant Red Shirt

I responded and I'm curious to see your results. Personally I never felt like Pulaski belonged either. She just never seemed to mesh with the rest of the cast.

5. kriegaex

kriegaex Cadet Newbie

Thanks, Zek. I guess I'd rather have added Vash, even though she does not occur very often. But alas, I cannot edit a running poll. ;-)

6. Ghrakh

Ghrakh Captain Captain

The omission in this poll is glaring.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I could see omitting her from a smaller poll, but you include Keiko O'Brien and Lwaxana Troi over her? Lwaxana Troi appeared in what, six episodes of TNG, and Keiko in three (Data's Day, Rascals, Disaster, am I forgetting anything?), and leave out a character who was a billed character for an entire season?

I say if you're going to go beyond the 'Big 7 + Wesley' you use episode count as a metric rather than your own personal opinion of the characters.

8. kriegaex

kriegaex Cadet Newbie

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

when I signed up here in order to present my poll (which had the initial cause of test-driving the OpaVote platform), I thought that it might be fun to share it with you just because I thought that the community here might be similar to me: fans of Star Trek TNG who watch the series for their own enjoyment, but still have a life outside the Star Trek universe. Obviously I was wrong and totally underestimated the fact that for some people Star Trek is not just a hobby, but a religion.

So, in the face of my glaring omission (which was intentional, BTW), let me beg your pardon. I know I committed a terrible sin and will burn in hell for it. Next week I will go to church and do a confession. Maybe my confessor will let me get away with a few dozen Lord's Prayers and Hail Marys, but the reason for me to still go to hell is that I omitted several other important characters such as The Borg (I wonder why nobody complained about that), The Traveler, Mr. Boothby, Alexander Rodchenko, Sarek, Tomalak and many more. I was so thoughtless to just write down a list of names in three minutes instead of doing an arithmetically correct episode count.

Again, I am so sorry for just seeking a bit of fun here and naively wishing to share it with you.

P.S.: What in "my personal choice, sorry" (quote from my initial post) was so unclear and hard to understand?

9. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Relax, cadet. Fans here have the freedom to express their opinions and you don't need to take it personally. You made your list (and it is fine), you don't need to justify it or apologize for it.