The Orb - a new DS9 podcast

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Enterpriserules, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

So glad to hear it!

2. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally got around to the Defiant episode. Good stuff as always.

My immediate thought, and one I was surprised you didn't bring up, when you asked about episodes that couldn't be done without the Defiant was "Starship Down" from season 4. They certainly couldn't have hoped to stand up to either a gas giant or two Jem'Hadar warships in just a runabout. And as I understand it, the initial concept for the episode was precisely to reveal some of the flaws the ship possessed. It may be well-armed and well-powered, but it is definitely not designed for atmospheric entry, as this episode clearly shows.

While the Defiant's destruction (or perhaps I should say 'death') in "The Changing Face of Evil" was undoubtedly emotional, I feel like the creators missed a chance to really drive the knife even deeper. How great would it have been if here, almost at the end of the series, they had recreated these shots from "Emissary" ? The series starts with him losing the Saratoga to the Borg, and ends with him losing the Defiant to the Dominion. I think that would have been a great way to suggest 'full circle' for Sisko without hammering it home.

And lastly, re the nu-Defiant's registry number. It doesn't bother me, for some of the same reasons Christopher was saying, even though I know it very likely would be one of the things changed if the Blu-ray project ever gets around to DS9 season 7. But I don't want them to change it, because I like the explanation they came up with for it in the books, and I don't want that invalidated. I'm going to quote from one of my own fan-fics to explain it, if I may, but under spoiler.

[LEFT]PRYNN
    I mean, the Defiant's a legend. Everything it did during the war... how could I not want to be a part of that?[/LEFT]

[LEFT]NOG
    You do realise it's not the same ship, right?[/LEFT]

[LEFT]PRYNN
    Yeah, I know. But there are other reasons to be there.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]NOG
    (continuing)
    Although I never did understand how it ended up with the same registry number.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]PRYNN
    Ah, well, I asked my dad about that. He says it's actually a deliberate ploy to strike fear into the hearts of our enemies.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]NOG
    (dubious)
    Really? How so?[/LEFT]

[LEFT]PRYNN
    The first Defiant was destroyed at Chin'toka, right? How much propaganda play do you think the Dominion got out of that?[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Nog allows that it was probably a lot.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]PRYNN (cont)
    So what does Starfleet do? It fields an identical ship with the same name, same number, even the same crew. And it carries right on.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]NOG
    (getting it)
    Which makes the Defiant look more indestructible than ever.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]PRYNN
    Not only do Starfleet's officers come back from the dead, now so do its ships. At the same time, it makes the Dominion look desperate and pathetic for having claimed to destroy it in the first place. Pretty cool, if you think about it.[/LEFT]

3. Enterpriserules

^I do agree that I really like the book retcon of the Defiant and it's registry number. I fits well.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great discussion on The Visitor for this week's Orb guys. Really enjoyed your guest, and thank you for giving The Visitor it's own episode. I consider it Star Trek's (As a whole) best episode. It exemplified everything I love about Star Trek, the sci fi concept, the human condition, and furthering the development of Star Trek's best relationship. I still cry when I watch this episode and I always think about my father when it ends. It must of been really hard to watch this episode after your father had passed away. I would probably be balling and couldn't watch it for a long time because it might be just too much.

5. Enterpriserules

^ I agree with you, there is hardly a time when I do not tear up at this episode. It is the pinnacle of Star Trek story-telling. I really love having John Tenuto on our shows when we can, he is awesome.

6. Jadin

Jadin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yeah, great discussion on The Visitors. And yes, what an episode.

7. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey Matt, is there a place on trek.fm that has download links to all of the past podcasts (The Orb)? I've fallen behind and want to catch up! Thanks!

8. Enterpriserules

There sure is, on each episodes page you can directly download the episodes from there.

9. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

The last episode, on undeveloped and unproduced stories, was excellent. I love how you used them to highlight aspects of DS9 that were realized.

10. Enterpriserules

Our latest episode ends the major character discussions with Ezri.

11. tomalak301

Did you not do one for Jake Sisko? If not, hopefully you include him some how.

12. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because I'm lazy and not iTunes-savvy, I would love for you guys to include a full list of your podcast episodes with download links on your actual website. :biggrin:

13. Enterpriserules

That is a good point. Jake is someone we need to talk about.

You can search each episode, but I'll mention an index. :)

14. tomalak301

I did a search and while you just had a children on the station episode, it wasn't really about Jake as a whole. There is a lot to talk about with Jake, from his taking an anti-wesley approach and not joining Starfleet, to his writing, to his being part of the underground movement during the Occupation of DS9. Heck, his relationship with Ben could be it's own episode. Glad to know he will get his own episode soon.

15. Enterpriserules

I agree, there really is a lot to talk about with Jake, for me he is the first child on a Star Trek series that I thought was more relatable and "normal".

16. Enterpriserules

We just started a series about the last arc of the series that will run every month for the next 9 months. Hope you like it!

17. tomalak301

That was probably the best Orb you guys have ever done. Penumbra is such a forgotten episode in the final chapter that to hear any talk about it at all was a pleasure. You guys went deep into this one, even biblical referencing Abraham and Moses and it was such a civilized and amazing conversation. You and Chris have some great chemistry and this episode is why I love The Orb. It takes an episode and instead of reviewing it, analyzes it and gives a fresh perspective to think about. You guys were awesome in this episode and I can't wait for the next month for "To Death Do Us Part". Well done.

Speaking of chemistry I listen to two other podcasts on the network, To the Journey and Earl Grey, and the Earl Grey crew have really come into their own. I loved Tristan and Char when I first heard them but it took a while to warm up to Philip, Darren, and Daniel. They are fun to listen to now and you guys at Trek.fm do a great job.

One question though. Is there a way to donate without getting the badges. I wouldn't mind donating but I want to do it just for all the work you guys do. I don't want anything in return.

18. Enterpriserules

I am so glad that you are liking the show and the network. Thank you so much for your kind words. It's a pleasure to have the opportunity to talk Trek on The Orb and Literary Treks. You can donate without getting badges, we really appreciate it!

19. Sci Fi Fan

Sci Fi Fan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I hope there will be discussions of the various DS9 relaunch novels.

20. Enterpriserules

For that you'll need to check out Literary Treks, we are making our way through that slowly