My "Just Saw Insurrection For the First Time" Review.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Dale Sams, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ahh yes, I'm greatly reminded of that time Admiral Nimitz, right in the middle of World War II, mutinied in protest of the forced relocation of a Japanese-American fishing village.

...and then fought the Prime Minister of Canada in hand to hand combat.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

When they did the DVD commentary of this movie, it should've been two hours of Frakes, Berman and Piller simply muttering "I'm sorry". :lol:

3. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I disagree that Frakes has anything to apologize for with this movie as far as direction. He did fine with his job, this movie's problem was the poorly thought-out story. Piller owed an apology for this movie, not Frakes.

4. BillJ

He was the director. If he saw things that didn't work then he had to have the balls to demand changes to the script.

His job wasn't to be Berman's 'yes man'.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd rather blame whoever scraped the original idea. That might have actually been good.

6. spaceballone

spaceballone Lieutenant Red Shirt

Frakes job was to shoot the script he was given and that's what he did. He was not involved in the story development or scripting at all. He did not have the power to overide Berman on anything major or request any major re-writes.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Braga and Moore already did that in the Generations commentary.:p

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Insurrection commentary, with Frakes and Sirtis, is hilarious. I want them to do all of the TNG movie commentaries now. :D

9. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I agree. He was the director, yet Frakes was helping Sirtis give the movie a great MST3K treatment. ("Oh no, he's going to sing? Whose idea was that?")

10. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure huge portions of the community groaned, but I actually loled at "Mr. Worf, sing" and that look on Worf's face when he shakes his head...and I laughed at Data shaking his head at Riker's assessment as to the closeness of his shave.

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's not how it works I'm afraid. Even though we always want to blame the director, in the end it's the producers who call the shots.

12. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    They are hilarious, indeed. I've always said it's the only way to watch the movie and have it be bearable. Frakes and Sirtis clearly don't take it seriously.

13. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still say the problem is that Frakes shaved off his beard. Remember that he did this in pre-production, and for the first part of the film he's actually wearing a fake beard. Completely jinxed the entire movie IMO. ;)

14. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I never knew that. I couldn't actually tell. Then again, I would hardly call myself a connoisseur of imitation pogonics.

15. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the shaving scene it was obvious that he was already clean shaven and they were just wiping the foam off his face.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Another Insurrection thread?

17. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Yup. But at least not talking about plot, which is a blessed change :)

18. BillJ

I think Insurrection is the most 'picked on' movie on this forum. With good reason! :rofl:

19. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

This is interesting given that months before release, summer 1998, I saw a poster for Insurrection at a local shopping mall in which the credits began "A Film by Jonathan Frakes." This phrase, of course, was missing from the actual film or posters/ads during release. Either the poster used the "A Film by" phrase accidentally (highly unlikely, given that such credits are the result of prior negotiation), or the credit was renegotiated after the poster was produced, analogous to the early TMP poster that gave Gene Roddenberry partial writing credit.

A mystery.

20. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

I agree it was out of Frakes' hands, considering what he had to work with I think he did the best he could. At the time I was very disappointed he wasn't given the reins for Nemesis.

What I never understood about the inception of Insurrection is the idea of doing something lighter after making the big, action adventure story that was First Contact. Its beyond baffling.