The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Astra, what's your Tumblr name? I need more toy blogs to follow!

2. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, there's been several variations upon the "Flight Control" TARDIS. Yours the the original having the Eccleston/Tennant interior backdrop (along with inside lighting), flashing lamp, illuminated windows and "police box" signs, well as the landing/take-off audio, turbulence, and "heart of the TARDIS" droning sound when the doors are opened.

Matt Smith's box was horribly "stripped down". The only lighting was the lamp, nothing else. Shoot, the windows were painted black! Though I "think" all the sound features were present, at least the mat/demat sounds. A later version had "frosted" translucent windows, but still no lighting. Most of the parts from the Tennant box were reused for Smith's though the lamp housing was new.

There were limited releases of "Flight Control" boxes reflecting the original Hartnell box, Tom Baker's flat roof edition and the box from the John Nathan Turner era. Actually, all of these boxes except the flat "Baker" roof were cast from the same molds having merely different color schemes and decals. But they were not the same pieces used to make the Tennant and Smith boxes. These reflected the slightly more narrow proportions of the "classic series" set pieces compared the "Mini Cooper" props of the revival series. But, like the Matt Smith box toy, only the exterior lamp flashed and even the sound effects were "clipped" short. But at least the windows of all 3 variants were frosted plastic, meaning you could wedge a light inside for display effects.

Latter half of last year, a Capaldi era box was released and to everyone's pleasant surprise, all the original lighting and audio features were returned. Really, it's pretty much the Tennant box cast in a slightly slighter plastic, new window pieces (with white frames), a new lamp housing and a new interior backdrop showing the series 8 console (and bookcases). The interior sounds also match the latest incarnation. Finally, the phone cupboard door is translucent so it glows as it does in the show. If it has any "downside", well, the lighter blue plastic tends itself to considerable "light bleed". The Tennant toy experiences some, but not as much.

As for Nurse Redfern, I may have actually cheered when I learned of that character for "Human Nature" and "Family of Blood". The production even spelled it the way my family does! (Some branches spell it "Redfearn".)

Sincerely,

Bill

3. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

And whether or not that's a good thing depends on how old your sons are.

4. Astra

Astra Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would be http://action-figures-in-action.tumblr.com/

There is also Facebook and Livejournal

Fun! My name means "shrubbery" in English, so maybe we are related as well ;) I hope I am not related to George W. Bush.
    I live in Saxony which means I am a Saxon... hm. Don't want to be related to Mr. Saxon either.

Oh, and today is the birthday of John Barrowman! Or, how we like to spell it, bARROWman ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    Kai "the spy" likes this.
  5. Kira's Mom

Oh, I'm already following you. LOL!

6. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Those DC figures look cool but a tiny bit cartoony.

BTW my ED 209 is fixed. I don't know if it was the excessive Summer we had but I just noticed that the legs on both sides now can tilt in and out at the hips. They never did that before without feeling like they'd snap off. So now I can position the feet properly. The missiles on mine don't come out so I feel disappointed on that.

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

What's wrong with a boy of any age playing with WW toys. Or even wanting to wear a WW shirt?

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  8. Astra

Hehe! Which of the 600+ are you? ;)

So happy to hear your problem got fixed! Now you can enjoy it properly. Always fun discovering additional joints. I had that with my Dark Archer figure. I hadn't at first realized that both elbows would swivel as well as bend. I was even mad at the people who gave him those weird joints where he couldn't shoot a bow. Then I bought a second figure for a friend and her joints were much more loose. So I carefully tried again on mine and it worked. We ended up switching figures though, as her knees also were much better, mine were very stiff, and I was afraid of breaking them. And since her figure only stands on a shelf but mine are in action she didn't mind.

9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Is there anything wrong with a boy of any age liking WW, playing with a WW toy or wearing a WW shirt

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i like WW. always have. though i don't have a WW t-shirt. i should really get one.

11. Gingerbread Demon

NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

I have Marilyn Monroe standing guard on my desk and I wouldn't mind more of that kind of stuff a WW tee would be cool.

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

I am a guy and I have a WW t shirt

13. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

If that's a response to my post, I was kidding, thought it was obvious, apparently I was mistaken. You know, pubescent boys, female action figures. Might have been a bad joke, too.

In reality, I'm actually occasionally looking for WW toys for my nephews.

14. Gingerbread Demon

I'd have more female figures sitting around my desk if they were not so expensive. I really wanted the Hot Toys Black Widow but the price just knocked me out. Plus shipping and it's not worth it if you don't have tons of disposable income.

15. Kira's Mom

mollyhooper-barton is my tumblr name.

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yesterday afternoon I bought the new 3.75" Rey (Resistance Outfit) figure from The Force Awakens. It's the newest figure of her and comes with Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber and the outfit she wears at the very end of the film.

17. Astra

How about some nostalgia?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  18. Kira's Mom

My newest arrival- Funko Captain Jack Harkness!
    [​IMG]

"You don't want to know what I'm thinking right now!" Jack is excited to be around Ten, Eleven, and Twelve!

[​IMG]

Also, some of my mini AGs are happy to see the daffodils coming up!
    [​IMG]

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i picked up SH Figuarts Kamen Rider Gaim. he's pretty awesome. and like most Figuarts i'm so afraid of losing the little extra bits.

[​IMG]

also put together the 1/100th Amazing Red Warrior from Gundam Build Fighters Try. a pretty easy and quick build.

[​IMG]

20. Astra

Cute! I'm not into the Funko Pops as I prefer realistic faces, but I admit they are cute.
    Do you know that there is a second Jack with dark blue shirt and Vortex Manipulator?

http://media.popcultcha.com.au/medi...08d6e5fb8d27136e95/j/a/jackharknessvortex.png

Get yourself one of those boxes that are meant for screws and stuff. In some you even can change the size of the departments as the walls are loose. I have many of these and they help keeping little things stored very well:

[​IMG]