Downton Abbey ITV1 22nd September 9pm

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Serial thread killer, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

It's still 1923 when things are getting interesting in Munich regarding the brownshirts for the first time. There'll be their attempt at a coup on November 9th. I'm secretly rooting for an episode set during that with Edith in Munich searching for Gregson.

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I had the impression this Christmas was December of 1924 in the show? Though Edith in Munich in time for the Putsch is a neat idea.

3. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

At one point there was a caption saying it was 1923. And it didn't look like Christmas time. I think ball season is probably in spring or summer. So, the possibility is there, especially since Edith will travel to the continent, anyway, and might not be able to resist going for a look herself.

4. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Really enjoyed the Christmas special, it was nice and light and good fun.

Set up a couple of things too I suppose, like the hunt being on for Mary's beaver pelt and Edith's "NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER!!" crusade. I wonder if Martha's verbal beat down of Violet will have any effect on the way Violet acts in the future.

The ending was the best part though, Mr Carson holding hands with Mrs Hughes. Awwwwwwwwwww. :adore:

5. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Did not make it to the end.
    I'm fed up of watching Edith getting shit on and Mary being chased by men.

6. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Yeah but Mary is good looking and Edith isn't.

7. Gov Kodos

True, I don't suppose a lot of folks would be crazy about paddling around a beach in late December would be a fun outing. I was assuming Christmas because of the show being on at Christmas. Assumptions.:alienblush: :p

8. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Some men and women I know think Edith is pretty.

9. Gov Kodos

Edith is lovely. While the actress who plays Mary is quite pretty, Mary gets uglier with every episode.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I disagree. Edith is far more attractive to me than Mary. :)

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Listen here you colonial and foreign types, it's series 4 - what-ho.

:-)

12. gturner

gturner Admiral

I just watched the series so far and I have some questions.

During winter scenes the Granthams almost invariably have fires in the fireplaces, but never once does any servant carry any firewood down the halls, chop wood, or stack wood. Are British fireplaces somehow loaded automatically from the rear, or perhaps is the manor equipped with fake natural-gas fireplaces?

Also, nobody ever seems to clean up the dishes after a meal, or wash dishes. All the staff does is cook and serve. Are the clean-up duties outsourced to low-bid Indian contractors?

Finally, where do they get the petrol for their cars? There doesn't seem to be any filling stations anywhere.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The used plates (along with surplus poor people) are burned both in the fireplaces and to power the cars...

14. gturner

gturner Admiral

15. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Edith is very attractive and has grown as a person. I can't imagine the Edith of series 4 sending the letter that she did in series 1.

Mary is more conventionally pretty and a less appealing person. But I don't see her personality as getting progressively uglier. I think she was at her worst before she finally decided to marry Matthew; he was a good influence on her. And although she's lost (at least temporarily) much of the softness he inspired, I don't think she's back to where she started. With one exception: when she was considering reporting Bates. That was both ugly and bizarre.

The first few episodes of this series were pretty depressing. So much sadness. If I'd been watching on scheduled TV, I might've given up. But I was binge-watching, so things improved quickly, and I ended up really enjoying.

16. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Edith vs Mary? Eff that. The sister that caught "Shamrock Fever" or bust.

17. gturner

gturner Admiral

She ran off an married her chauffeur. Obviously she lacked something in the breeding department. I wouldn't be surprised if her real father was some immigrant gardener.

18. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno you been watching the show? That chauffeur seems way more competent at running Downton than the dad from Alias.

19. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't Daisy shown making a fire early on? Or was she hauling ashes? Anyway, it was preferred for servants to be somewhat invisible; all the work was supposed to be done when The Family wasn't around. Some houses even had hidey-holes placed throughout the halls for servants to duck into if their superiors approached.

My guess is the estate had its own fueling tank(s), filled by a supplier, but I don't know.

20. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it was one of the first scenes in the very first episode. It was early morning and Daisy was admonished because it was getting late and she might be seen by a member of the family.