Downton Abbey - Am I Missing Something?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Frontier, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

OK, so... I freely admit I've seen 25 minutes worth of one episode. So, I very well could be missing a great deal. But that's my reason for asking so. So please don't eye-roll and flame me if I am, alright? Thanks!

But... from that cursory exposure... I find what little I observed, I didn't like. It seems to me a show about one of the wrongs of our past: the class system. A wrong that still exists today, but that we've made great ambitious strides towards pushing as far out of our culture as we can,

Am I wrong? Is it really a show about how all the servants save the day and educate the rich upper crust of the evils of a class system? Or something otherwise redeeming?

What's the attraction of this show?

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a well-made soap opera.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have only seen the first season, but I loved it. I don't think there's some deep lesson about the rights or wrongs of the class system; it just happens to be the setting. It provides for some interesting drama that you don't get to see too often. The characters are engaging, the storylines are fun, and Maggie Smith is just downright hysterical.

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    That's pretty much it. Escapist period fluff that's occasionally intentionally and unintentionally funny. And camp.

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It struck me as a variation on Buddenbrooks. Maggie Smith makes the show watchable, otherwise, it's as exciting as watching paint dry. The tribulations of a bunch of posh tossers really doesn't engage my interest here any more than it did in Buddenbrooks.

6. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's well-made, has lots of good period detail and an ensemble of fine performers playing nicely developed characters. It has a lot of dialogue that bears attending to, there's not much action and what conflict there is is often understated. It's not for everyone.

The servants are not always good examples; they can be as judgmental and hierarchical as the aristocrats, or more so.

IMO the show has gone down a notch each season; the third season has been outright silly at times, although there was one major dramatic development that made up for some of it. I still enjoy the show, mostly for the character dynamics and performances.

7. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a period piece soap. It's got a beautiful setting and great costumes and lots of British accents (which I love!). It's not for everyone. Hell, I was convinced that I would be bored to tears watching it, but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit!

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know what you mean, I watched the first episode and had this overwhelming reaction, whooooo caaaaaaarrreeesss...

And I'm female, the target market for this show. I can only imagine how straight males would react, probably give them hives. :D

This is just another example that all TV is not for everyone. If fancy clothes and houses don't interest you, there's plenty else out there.

The confusion probably arises because of increased expectations due to it being on PBS and getting Emmy attention. Neither are generally associated with "fluff."

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a straight male, and I love it. It's soppy and stupid and hits the romantic buttons pretty hard.

Also, I love an underdog, so I'm Team Edith. :)

10. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I've only just sttarted watching it this season but I've ordered the first and second. It's set in a time of great social change and you see that change catching up to the old guard, both above- and below-stairs.

It all comes down to what you like. I'm all for character drama and it works really well for me there.

Jan

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

I assumed this show was made for

-lonely women with cats who hold "Talk English for a day" parties.

-Wives who are infatuated with the poshness(Oh look at the British and how classy they are compared to us Americans!")

Then I got sucked into it. I know more about the show then my family members.

Stuff like the Charles Ponzi reference I got.

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That line was great! My immediate thought was, "No wonder you lost the entire family fortune on lousy railroad investments." :)

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Costumes maybe but the social-political stuff is either so simplified to be insulting or simply wrong or sanitised paternalist bilge.

It's a great soap but it has nothing deeper to say.

14. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I didn't care much for it at first, but later, really enjoyed how the storylines mirror a little of what was going on historically and frankly, what REALLY hooked me was the cast of characters. I love all the subtle intrigue both among the servants and the family, the tiny details in what is said and what isn't said.

And, please, Maggie Smith doing what she does best--steal scenes left and right. I love her.

I am COMPLETELY Team Edith. I know what it's like to be the "ugly sister" so I completely sympathize with her.

15. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I can't explain why I love it, I think the show suffers from really bad writing but I just love it.
    Also I'm team Edith.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of Edith. Did the casting crew go back in time and pluck an actress from 1914 to play Edith?

They really got the look down.

"Grandma was right"

"Can someone write that down?"

17. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Me too. I laughed out loud when I heard him say that and turned to my husband and said, "Did you hear that? Charles Ponzi! What a dunderhead!"

Also Team Edith. Bored with Mary. She's not very nice anyhow.

18. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Another straight male Downton fan here. It's soapy, but it's historical soapy with a lot of awesome performances (I especially love watching Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton butt heads).

19. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

The Dowager Countess has some GREAT scenes:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF3FRCHSdS8[/yt]

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Count me on Team Edith as well. I was pissed off when Lord Grantham torpedoed her marriage. Edith must take after the Granthams though, since her sisters look like their mother. ( Some good casting there.)