Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, I was just sceptical of the rumour - no criticism was intended of you for posting it. Hope that was how it came across.

Still, it would be pretty comic-strip-like if the two main actresses in the movie had the initials AA and LL!

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah I saw that story. The thing about Lindsay is that unfortunately the mistakes she continues to make in her personal life have usually resulted in interfering with projects or projects she's been interested in. I can think of a couple projects where she's had to drop or been fired from (not their names off the top of my head though) due to her various problems. It's sad because she does have some talent.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

She looks rather like Tate. Bless her and good luck to her.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Charlie Sheen as Lex Luthor, Lindsay Lohan as Lana Lang, Gary Busey as Perry White, and Tom Cruise will do every single one of his own stunts as Zod. Let's see that Superman movie get bonded. :lol:

6. Admiral_Young

I see we're at the point where we're needing actual news to discuss again lol.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I can fill the time with what I think is an interesting question. In Superman (1978), I heard murmurs in Jor-El's dialog suggesting that Superman's powers derive from differences between the laws of physics in Krypton's galaxy and our own galaxy. From a transcript:
    At least this is how I interpret this dialog. I assume he means "law of nature", rather than "law of justice". Of course, the following dialog was much more overt, although I believe consistent with my interpretation above [ibid.]:
    Question: Will there be any explanation in the new film about how Superman gets his powers?

8. Admiral_Young

I would assume there will be references to Clark being a solar battery yes. It really depends on how Krypton is used or not used really.

9. CorporalCaptain

^ So, you're thinking that the explanation, if any, will center around the traditional, unnuanced narrative that a yellow sun bestows powers to a Kryptonian, period and regardless of any other factors, whereas a red sun re-neutralizes them?

10. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

There could theoretically be a lot of nuance to that explanation. I always thought the only way the yellow sun thing makes sense is if Kryptonians evolved powers on their homeworld under a yellow Rao, which got turned into a red giant by some mysterious enemy that wanted to depower the entire race, and subsequently imposed a space-flight embargo (the only time in which they could not enforce it would be when they bailed because their red sun plan backfired and made Rao go Nova, giving Jor-El the window he needed)

11. Admiral_Young

If they're taking source material from "Birthright" and "Secret Origin" which I believe to be the case then yes we'll get the traditional explanation of how Superman's powers work. I don't think they'll drastically alter this part of his character and mythos. I believe what they're talking about when they mean that this will be different than anything we've seen before is that they're separating themselves from other onscreen depictions of the character that we've seen. Nothing more than that.

"Superman Earth One" implied that there was someone else responsible for the destruction of Krypton. He turned out to be the villain of the first volume. That's something that's never been done before.

12. Captaindemotion

13. Admiral_Young

Not seen it reported anywhere else yet so yeah I'm betting it was the agency...and he looks...meh to me not to mention I've not heard of him before. I suspect we'll get some more casting news in the next couple of weeks.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no way that any explanation for Superman's powers actually makes scientific sense - Byrne threw around the word "psionics" as if it were really less "abracadabra" than the old yellow sun silliness.

It's magic, folks. Everyone knows that Superman has powers from our yellow sun because he came from another planet; leave it alone.

15. Captaindemotion

^ Uh, the force?

Dude, that's your answer to everything!

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

As long as they don't bring midi-chlorians into it.

17. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

You guys should read this book.
    [​IMG]

18. CorporalCaptain

Yeah, I saw that and didn't even bother to crack the cover. Thanks! :lol:

Returning back to red sun/yellow sun is OK with me. But anything specific is doomed to failure in some segment of the viewership, including that. (For the record, I thought the babble of Puzo et al. as I interpret it was pretty cool, though, and it's really only a minor revision of red sun/yellow sun.)

But psionics?!? Someone actually tried psionics?!? And the editors let him get away with it??? That's wrong on so many levels.

19. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

wasn't that put in place to explain how the things he lifts up don't collapse under their own weight? He'd be reinforcing the entire structure by touching it.

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I am all for Lindsay Lohan joining this movie.

Still love you babe! :adore: