"Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^I didn't know it wasn't yet out in the USA. I'm sort of surprised, because groups I follow on Facebook and twitter have been posting spoilers all over the place (they've been careful to warn in headlines, in fairness) and I assumed there had been a US release. But I suppose there are no international boundaries where the Internet is concerned.

I do recommend the 3D showing Christopher. Not every film benefits from it but I thought the 3D in this and TAS was very good.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't we had REVIEW/DISCUSSION threads for films before when they were released a week or two in advance overseas?

Usually the OPs for such threads have a fairly decent track record for putting SPOILERS in the title and in the first post stating it's not out yet globally "read at your own risk".

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

This morning I saw a spoiler for a crucial event at the end of the movie, but it's one that I and plenty of others had already deduced was going to happen.

4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ That 'spoiler' you're referring to was never really a spoiler at all since Webb and Co. never tried to keep the fact that it was going to happen a secret.

Calling it a spoiler is like calling the Knave of Hearts being Will Scarlet a spoiler when Michael Socha was very upfront about that fact long before OUaTiW premiered.

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Is said spoiler a major event that happened in the comics too? In that case I deduced it a long time ago.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  6. Captain Craig

Yes.
    Those set pics of her essentially spoiled it.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So it does happen then.

8. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't realise this wasn't out in the US two weeks after the UK, usually its just one week.

Anyway, saw it last night. I'll admit I was pretty meh about the first movie, and indeed I haven't seen it again since I first saw it two years ago. I did however think this one was a massive improvement, really enjoyed. Mainly just for Spider-Man himself; he looks, well, sorry but- amazing! Totally feels like he's come straight of the page, esp with all his wisecracks etc. Loved his first little meeting with Jamie Foxx's character :)

It sagged a bit two thirds in but made up for it by the barnstorming ending.
    My main criticism however is the trailers. Jesus, pretty much everything is given away in them! It's unbelievable, but then so depressingly obvious all Sony care about whatsoever is as much $$$ as possible through getting as many bums on seats as they can.

I'll spoiler code this in case some are super sensitive, but its not that big of a spoiler, just what its the trailers but where it's placed in the movie...

Those shots of equipment for Doc Ock and The Vulture are used as a big DUM DUM DUM shot near the very end of the film, but we've already seen them in the trailers so it's ruined.
    And this really amazed me, literally the last awesome two shots of the movie are used in the trailers, ridiculous.
    If you want to be really spoiled, it's the last part of this trailer- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlM2CWNTQ84
    Don't say I didn't warn you if you don't want it to be spoiled.

It would be like advertising the first Iron Man with a clip of Nick Fury at the end. Although... saying that, IIRC didn't The Incredible Hulk tv spots show how Tony Stark appeared at the end? So maybe it's nothing new. I still think ruining the last shot of ASM2 was really lame though

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  9. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

That really bothered me as well. I was hoping that the shots of Doc Ock's arms and the Vulture equipment would just be a taster, and in the actual film we'd get to see the other outfits and stuff but it was just those two.

And yeah, I followed the movie on Facebook and pretty much all of their promos were about Gwen and they had a whole thing about "Gwen's Day" so it doesn't take a genius to put together what storyline they're adapting.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this is one of the most "Who cares what we spoil" advertizing campaigns I've seen for a while.

And just like the first film, the trailers are loaded to the gills with lines/shots/subplots that didn't make it into the final film. I know that happens a fair bit, but the ASM movies seem to be doing it more than most.

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's Rotten Tomatoes score has dropped steadily for the last week, now in the low 60's

12. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally saw this tonight. My review is more of a plea, really...

Dear Sony,

Please do us all a favour and just give the Spider-Man rights back to Marvel. They know how to handle their characters/universe. You do not.

And, while you're at it, please also quit this crap about stand-alone Venom and Sinister Six films. Nobody wants to see them, and you'll only cock them up anyway.

Cheers.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched the review below. It gave away every aspect of the film, spoilers and all, but it was mercifully shorter, and more entertaining than the film could ever be.
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJUk8ZHckxo[/yt]

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, keep in mind the people who make the movie and the people who make the trailers are usually two different groups and the people who make the trailer want to get you to see the movie so they're going to go with shots/scenes that will most likely get butts in the seats, spoilers be dammed.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I like how Max's apartment is lit by lightbulbs from 1924.

16. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With a gross of $172 million-plus so far, I don't know if this movie is exceeding expectations or turning out to be a disappointment.

17. Captain Craig

It's the latter.

The reboot, TASM, did $262m US domestic, down from the Raimi saga where all entries tallied $300m+

TASM2 isn't going to make $225m US domestic, probably closer to $210-215m and several global territories are underperforming vs TASM.

I fully expect to hear several things:
    1- That TASM3 is being pushed back for creative reasons.
    2-That the Sinister Six and Venom spinoff movies are placed on hold if not outright cancelled.
    3-That someone(s) is fired at SONY

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually I think this movie handled Spider-Man himself better than any previous live-action movie ever has. The action, the banter, the personality, the fact that they let him keep his mask on -- it was perfect. And it handled Gwen fantastically (except that the climax wasn't as good as the version Gerry Conway wrote). It just didn't handle the villains well.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Spidey himself was almost the only thing in the film worth my time and money. As much as it would pain me for Spidey to crowd out another Marvel project, I do now wish Marvel could get him back. :(

20. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know if anyone's going to get fired at the studio. But did they really think that the tragic turn of events near the film's end would be rewarded with repeat viewings? My own reaction was "Screw this! I will not watch Gwen die again."