Favorite or Interesting Short Lived Scifi Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I very vaguely remember this. An action show whose title character was a teenager who'd been raised by wolves.

This started as a TV movie called Salvage, as I recall. Andy Griffith starred as a scrapyard owner who built a working rocket, flew to the Moon, and salvaged the stuff left behind by the astronauts. It was kind of awkward to make it work as a weekly series, coming up with different ways to use the rocket or tell stories that didn't involve spaceflight.

Ahh, Yancy Butler. This was a weird one. The first season ended with time being rewound to the start of the story, so the second season was a semi-reboot with events happening differently. Yet there was no explanation for why events in the world the lead characters inhabited didn't happen again in the new reality.

Oh, and this is another one that had a pilot movie (2000) before the series (2001-2).

Got cancelled just when it was getting good.

When I revisited MH a while ago, I felt that Frewer was badly miscast as Carter, since he's not the Square-Jawed Action Hero type. The thing is, the Max Headroom character was created first, as the host of a music-video show, and then the TV pilot was created as an origin story for the character; so Frewer was cast originally as Max, a role that suited his quirky style, and the Carter character came later.

2. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In my family, Bunheads will ALWAYS count. We were all hopelessly in love with that show.

As for the topic at hand:

Kolchak
    Night Stalker (remake)
    Miracles
    Mockingbird Lane
    Amazing Screw-On Head
    Pirates of Dark Water
    Caprica
    The Others
    Wonderfalls
    Jekyll

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oooh, yea, Pirates of Dark Water, I enjoyed it, and sorry it only got a total of 21 episodes (over the space of 3 Seasons). I'd like to see it redone, and completed

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I liked the original 5-episode miniseries, which was just called Dark Water, better than the series that followed. It was smarter, less toned down/simplified for kids, and it featured Roddy McDowall as the comic-relief critter, with the weekly series replacing him with Frank Welker (even redubbing McDowall's lines in the repackaged miniseries episodes, frustratingly).

5. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I can't really call Queen Of Swords a sci-fi show but I really liked The Secret Adventures Of Jules Verne and it was the first series to be shot in HD. Starhyke was an odd show with Claudia Christian in it.