Charting the Novel-verse

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, May 26, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Could he have left the Council and been re-elected/re-appointed/whatever?

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think you mentioned that Saavik was assigned to the Enterprise A in the second DC Comics series, and appeared aboard her in Mere Anarchy: The Blood-Dimmed Tide.

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Holy freaking crap. This is incredible.

As Christopher mentioned, there are a few little typographical problems, but overall... well done. Wow.

4. MichaelS

MichaelS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:gasp: You got the wrong name wrong! Now I know how Steve usually feels...

In point of fact, The Tears of Eridanus, despite being a Myriad Universes tale, contains more lit references than what we've written of A Choice of Catastrophes so far. Weird, I know.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another thing I thought of: A few old novels - Strangers from the Sky, Final Frontier and (I think) Entropy Effect referenced events and used dates from the Goldsteins' old Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology (which I believe the FASA Trek timeline was based on, or vice versa).

6. Christopher

^Indeed, The Final Reflection is based quite heavily on the Goldstein Chronology, as I recall.

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

:bolian:

8. F. King Daniel

Not to open a can of worms, but...

One could argue that Spock's World brings in the entirety of Doctor Who as an in-universe work of fiction.

I read somewhere that at some point in the DS9-R Taran'atar picks a fight with an Aliens Alien in the holosuite, so the same applies. And isn't Predator a part of the same universe? Considering the Jem'Hadar are fairly blatant Predator rip-offs this is quite interesting.

I've read that Ishmael had one or two big huge unauthorized crossovers (to stuff I didn't watch so have no knowledge of), too.

9. Christopher

Except that My Enemy, My Ally (or was it The Wounded Sky?) had previously depicted it as a work of fiction. One of the old 20th-century videos that Ensign Freeman and Uhura were converting to 3-D was shown playing, with a blue box materializing and a curly-haired fellow in a long, colorful scarf emerging (and saying a line Tom Baker never said in any actual episode).

I don't recall how Spock's World references Doctor Who, but Ishmael certainly alludes to it with references to Metebelis crystals and a time-travelling civilization in Kasterborous (Gallifrey's home galaxy).

All that proves is that the Alien franchise exists as fiction in the Trek universe. It's no different from Data playing Sherlock Holmes or Henry V.

Actually the Nausicaans are the ones who resemble Predators.

The whole book is a crossover with the Western Here Come the Brides.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

*sigh* Throughout? I'll try to find to time at work to do some edits.

You want worms? Planet X could bring in the entire Marvel multi-verse, which has crossed over with the DC universe.

:lol::techman:

Last edited: May 27, 2010
    Force Smuggler and Oz Trekkie like this.
  11. Stevil2001

Well, if you go there, then things would just get silly. The Future Begins mentions a planet from The Fifth Element. I don't even like that film.

12. F. King Daniel

Christopher:
    I may have gotten Spock's World and My Enemy, My Ally mixed up. Sorry.

Having Aliens as an in-universe work of fiction is what I meant, hence me saying "the same applies".

Also: Jem'Hadar turn invisible, are really tough and live to fight. Naussicans look more like Predators, but they don't act like them at all (at least not the way Predators are depicted in the movies).

It's probably best this "in-universe universe" can stay closed for now :)

13. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Speaking of Aliens tie-ins, we did have a reference to "Acheron" in A Time to Sow, in the context of terraforming. For those who don't know, Acheron was the name given to planet otherwise known as "LV-426" (which was being terraformed during the events of the film) in Alan Dean Foster's novelization of Aliens as well as earlier versions of the screenplay.

I put in the reference mostly just to see if anyone would catch it.... :)

14. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

This is great, Turtletrekker! Really impressive work. :)

Mmmmm....continuity references....

15. Turtletrekker

Agreed. The cans of worms will stay on the shelf...

16. Turtletrekker

Fixed Spirit Walk and Dark Matters and made the "Isabo's Shirt" reference. Thanks.

I found it mis-spelled twice and spelled correctly twice. I hope I fixed them all. sorry (Uhhhm, Mollmann put me up to it. ;))

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

18. Turtletrekker

Added Posession (and Diane Duane's Intellivore) to the TNG page under "Sequels to TOS books".

Next time, I'm gonna have to add a page for novel-verse references in Strange New Worlds stories. Didn't think of it in time. (Am adding "The Aliens Are Coming" with the Khan books.)

19. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

Awesome work! :techman:

I appreciate that this thread has been made sticky, since I was a big fan of its predecessor and want to see the work continue...

I really look forward to the addition of more Strange New Worlds content. (I deliberately avoided novel-continuity references in my own story, but the events of the story itself are also easy to reference. ;) I know a couple of SNW writers included references from their own stories when they wrote other work later.)

So, let me get this straight...Gold Key Comics and FASA get some love in more current works, but the Bantam novels don't? :eek:

To be fair, the X-Men crossovers make it pretty clear that Earth-616 (comicspeak for the main Marvel Universe) is separate from the universe in which Star Trek occurs.

Beyond that, I think references to present-day pop culture as fiction in TrekLit is a whole other thing, which might justify its own thread...

20. Stevil2001

I am pretty sure I am the only person out there referencing Gold Key comics, and I just do it to cause trouble. There is a slight FASA reference (very slight) in The Tears of Eridanus, though (to the only FASA sourcebook I've ever read). And I don't remember those Bantams enough to make any references!