Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmmm, interesting. Hopefully it will be included as part of the game eventually :)

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I haven't played this yet, but the sort of thing that would interest me would be some kind of contested-space dynamic. Similar to "culture boundaries" in Civ 4, the more you build up an area, the more it becomes "yours". Neighboring players will need to do more impressive stuff in order to keep your influence from encroaching on their territory. If a given bit of land is more someone else's than yours, then perhaps it's more difficult to sculpt stuff there.

3. Owain Taggart

Yeah, exactly. I think it goes hand in hand with what I said I wanted. For the NPC builders to know where they can't build. Currently it seems that with that mod, they can build anywhere including places you've already built. The Spheres of influence is a good idea to do it. An easy way to do this would be to build something specific, like a tower that increases your sphere of influence.

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course you'd HAVE to have an old man living in a cave near spawn with a single wooden sword. "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." ;)

Not sure I'm too keen on having NPC out and about building things on their own though. For that I'd just as soon find a multiplayer server.

I wish there was a system for including player created content, ala Spore. Let players design a chunk, send it in, and the best, oh, twenty constructions are plugged into the next game update so that a few will randomly appear whenever you create a new world. I was in the desert digging sand out of a hillside yesterday thinking to myself, 'How cool would it be if I were to suddenly uncover a hidden doorway leading to a lost tomb?'

Or at least tweek the 'seed' system so that players can create structures as well as landscapes.

I find I'm the same way actually. Despite my complaining, though once I start the game I'm invariably there for the next few hours. :) My Minecraft house starts to feel almost like a home away from home.

Oh, and for todays 'wish they were in the game', glass slabs, so you can build thin platforms with glass floors.

Been working on a treehouse for the last couple of days, and I was going to add 'tree blocks start to generate leaf blocks after a day or two' Just so I could fill in some gaps. But I did a Google search and found out about the 'put a block of dirt on a tree block then plant a sapling' trick. So now I can make uber trees!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

The pet mob has been announced (and is in progress): WOLVES!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Lp9p5yjuo[/yt]

6. Cutter John

Dear God thats adorable! Love the little shake when they leave the water, and the head tilt. So much emotion from just a couple of blocks.

Finally single player won't seem quite as lonely anymore.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  7. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wanted a border collie. :(

They could certainly be useful. I wonder will they follow you into caves?

8. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

That is pretty damn impressive :)

9. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

That's pretty neat! I wonder if they will defend you against hostile mobs too, not just attacking the ones you attack.

10. Cutter John

Only quote I've seen so far from the programmer indicates that they won't attack Creepers. Too big a risk of the whole pack getting wiped out in one explosion.

11. Owain Taggart

Oh, that's awesome. Now then, I wonder if it will eventually be possible to build a dog sled for the snowy regions :lol:

12. Robert Maxwell

For anyone who cares, I am now making my active world available for download, updated every night. :lol:

I finished making my big-ass pool (and putting a roof over it).

Download

Though it probably goes without saying, this is a Survival Single-Player world. All of my structures are connected by tunnels/shafts.

I've not done anything in the Nether other than build a portal to it.

I can't guarantee it will change every day but I probably mess with it a few times a week.

13. Cutter John

Oooh, I'll have to have a look tomorrow when I play Robert.

Maybe I should upload mine too once my big honkin' pyramid is done. :)

14. Peak

Peak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. Robert Maxwell

Great, now I have to choose between my girlfriend and this.

Or do I? :shifty:

I'll just have to keep her from griefing. I give her copies of my world and she just goes to town destroying everything. I won't let her touch the real deal. :lol:

16. Cutter John

Maybe I'm doing something wrong Robert, but when I try to open your file, I get a 'This archive is corrupt' error.

17. Robert Maxwell

I am a foolish person. I wrote an FTP script to do the heavy lifting for me and apparently I forgot to make it upload in binary mode.

I just reupped and downloaded it and it works now.

18. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I'm new to the beta version of Minecraft, just got it today. I spent most of the time collecting wood and dirt and looking up what it does on the Minecraft Wiki. Then at night when the skeletons came I had failed to make myself any sort of weapon or shelter so I just dug a 5-block-deep hole in the ground and hid there until I got bored and restarted :lol:

19. Cutter John

Thanks Rob. I'll re-download and give it a look tomorrow.

Gaaah! I reminded myself tonight why I stick with stone tools. I was digging around in a cave with when I spotted five blocks of iron on the floor. As I dug out the last one, I looked up at some more blocks on the ceiling and stumbled right into another cave right underneath mine that was full of lava. Lost my bow, clock and compass, a lovely diamond pick and sword and a bunch of iron armor. *sniff*

Welcome the Minecraft man. Congrats, you've just experienced the typical 'first night'. :)
    And really, unless they're desperate, even experienced players find shelter at night. Those monsters are nasty.

Best strategy is to explore and gather wood and food in the day, and burrow into a hillside and mine at night. Gather raw material until you're ready to start on a proper building.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  20. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Then build a bed, so you don't have to pace for ten-minutes when you don't need to do any mining or crafting. ;)