The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchise

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ToddPence, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Not the worst line, but one that always bugs me: When the Fesarius pulls up in front of the Enterprise and Spock says "Must be a mile in diameter!"

Given that the Enterprise is almost 1,000 feet long, a mile-diameter Fesarius would be a tad over 5 1/4 times the length of the E. The effect shows it to be a LOT bigger than that.

Also, for a guy who regularly estimates things down to 3 decimal places, "must be a mile..." is pretty sloppy.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Exploring a mysterious ship when you don't bother trying to communicate yourself doesn't justify you saying you're going to destroy the Universe. If you do that, and prove you're more than willing to be hostile, then you shouldn't be surprised when these guys you threatened decide to take the fight to you.

Yeah, the 8472 turned out to be reasonable but that wasn't til long after they'd given off the impression they were Xenocidal maniacs.

3. jazzstick

jazzstick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ok Let me try!

Man, your ass stinks like a Bylorian Musk Oxen!

Hey that was easy!

4. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

To be fair, Spock in Corbomite Maneuver is a character still in beta-test, only two episodes removed from the emotional Spock of "The Cage". It took a few more episodes for the 3 d.p. Spock that we all know and love to emerge. Also, perhaps the director didn't know what the Fesarius was even going to look like, or the guys that did the f/x didn't know that it was only supposed to be a mile or so in diameter when they created the model footage.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I'm not a very tolerant person because I think people walking into my home uninvited with guns might be a hostile act. Especially if I see them later on with my greatest enemy.

They said... your galaxy. Not universe, but it's not uncommon to exaggerate when you're going out of your way to villify someone. I'll submit two things to that comment... one, they had no reason to believe the galaxy wasn't controlled or aligned with the Borg, given Voyager was actively assisting them in their conquest. Two, should a whole species be judged by what one of their military member say when quite possibly his blood was up?

8472 really were quite tame as villains go. By gosh... they had the audacity to fight back when attacked.

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They already knew that there was more to the Universe than the Borg, they were able to create the Federation Infiltration Base from stolen Borg information banks. So they knew, and were A-Okay with the xenocide thing.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Just because Species 8472 was justified in self defense does not mean Voyager was not also justified in self defense. Voyager didn't know the Borg struck first until the end of Scorpion. Regardless of Species 8472's motives, the moment they announced their intention to purge the galaxy, Voyager had the responsibility to do anything they could to prevent them from doing so.

There definitely should have been more fallout from that than the lame In The Flesh.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait.. what quote said they wanted to kill everyone after they knew the Federation was their target again?

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They already knew the Feds weren't under Borg control, and there were plenty of non-Borg species in our Universe when they said that "The Weak Shall Perish" thing. They KNEW and still said that. So they were okay killing us all even though we had nothing to do with the Borg.

Sure, they never said it in "In the Flesh" but they did already know when they said it in "Scorpion".

10. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Their behaviour in 'In the flesh' makes 8472 a far more reasonable species than the borg could ever hope to be.
    In 'Scorpion', 8472 was pissed off - with good reason.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

And unfortunately, because they didn't show such behavior until "In the Flesh" it led to further combat.

12. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

I don't know about the worse dialogue, but these may count as some of the dumbest.

From ST VI: The Klingons are considering peace negotiations. Starfleet's top officers are gathered to discuss the situation.

They're actually considering dismantling their entire military because the Klingons were considering peace negotiations.

As if they didn't have to worry about threats from other powers or cultures anymore whatsoever for the rest of eternity.

Then the C.IC's reply suggests that the Federation puts a higher priority on science and exploration than on actually defending the Federation.

From The Valiant DS9: Jake and Nog are leaving a Starbase in a runabout. 3 Dominion attack ships suddenly appear, heading towards the base. Jake and Nog try to flee the area.

That question makes Jake seem really naive. Especially considering that this is during a war.

As if he expected the Jem Hadar to just ignore them, because it wasn't like they were going to call for help or notify the nearest fleet or anything.

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I'm Tweedledee, he's Tweedledum
    Two spacemen marching to a drum
    We slith among the mimsey toves
    And gyre among the borogoves

14. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

nuUhura shutting up nuKirk during an intergalactic crisis so she can continue squabbling with nuSpock. Yuck.

15. Nightdiamond

And future humans don't.... After the 2nd season, about 85% of the time, human characters fight like hell to survive life threatening situations.

Hell, a few episodes later, 24th century Ira Graves forced his consciousness into Data, and Picard had to struggle to get him to leave. Perhaps another super Utopian statement from the earlier seasons.

From the House of Quark:

Klingon customs get odder by the minute the more time passes. It's the worrying about it being an accident part that seems odd...How do they get anything done with this type of thinking...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  16. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

I didn't laugh when he said "THHAAAAAAAAAT"... but saw it coming a mile away... cringed a bit inside as to whether he'd really say it, then tossed off my 3-D glasses and sighed. :cool:--->:wtf:

Pretty much out of the movie from that point on.

Saw it a second time, no 3-D, accepted what was to come, but still not sold on it. Gotta see how the blu-ray plays.

17. JariM

JariM Lieutenant Red Shirt

Cutler: "They don't have movies where you come from, do they?"

Phlox: "We had something similar a few hundred years ago, but they lost their appeal when people discovered their real lives were more interesting."

Ugh.......

18. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Indeed. Real life is not more interesting.

--Sran

19. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Denobulans did typically have three spouses. That would effectively gut several film genres and create a serious drain on one's time.

20. Nightdiamond

Oh brother..... Which explains why the holodeck was a popular pastime. Or watching plays. He could have just said something like, 'once we did but not any more'.

I understand where he was getting at, (TV does has it negatives) but the part about abandoning the whole thing because of real lives being more interesting...seems preachy again.