Exeter Patch

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by CrazyMatt, Mar 23, 2013.

1. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Again, through the wonders of Trek Core and the Star Trek Prop Authority, the patch of the USS Exeter... in this case, the Sciences patch worn by Ed McCready in his role as Cdr (Dr.) Carter, the ship's Chief Medical Officer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting to see it up close, even though some things were truly never meant for HD.

3. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The modelers for Pixar's THE INCREDIBLES made a "universal man" for all the secondary characters, which would be tweaked and pulled to make them "different." They were never intended to be seen up close... Then the animators put Bernie's face right into the camera.

[​IMG]

I never understood why Starfleet would have different badges for each ship. Was this idea derived from the different mission patches NASA used?

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is it the lighting, or is he is a grey uniform shirt?

5. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lighting; the shirt was blue.

6. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

It's cool. It's like something you might get at a hippie smoke-shop or a renaissance fair.

7. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

It's a regular repurposed Nimoy command braid sciences blue velour costume. This image is an artifically magnified image of an image that the boarding party was watching on the bridge Main Viewing Sreen of Exeter's ship surgeon Dr. Carter on a bridge set that is lit more darkly and bluely (is bluely a word?) than when the brige set is normally lit as the Enterprise. But it's a regular sciences shirt--just a bit washed out with the lighting, as feek61 suggests.

9. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I am glad that Trek abandoned the different badges for other ships. I never did care for it. I am glad that the symbol for the Enterprise was used for all of Starfleet.

It is cool though to see this one close up!

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Understood, thanks.

11. ZapBrannigan

I think it was a staging trick, a small-screen signal to the audience that a character was in Starfleet but not an Enterprise crewman. It helped delineate the us-versus-them drama with Commodores Stone, Decker, and Stocker, and Captain Tracy. "This guy is with us but not of us."

The distressed shirt color on Exeter's doctor helped symbolize the drama of a whole crew slowly dying.

Bernie looks just like one of our managers here at work. :)

12. feek61

My understanding is that the different patches represented different divisions or sectors within Starfleet. That's why we see the delta shield at the starbase in "Court Martial" because that base was in the same division as the Enterprise operated within. The other Starships operated in different divisions of Starfleet; hence the different patches. Ultimately the delta shield was adopted for the entire starfleet after the Enterprise was the only starship to survive the 5 year mission in tact. Don't know how accepted that is but it is my understanding.

13. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At least as far as TOS goes, I must disagree. The patches for both the Constellation and Exeter are both interesting and visually striking... in fact, both are more interesting than the delta... and they represent the concept that each of the 12 starships was indeed something special, worthy of it's own symbol. If only Bob Justman hadn't ruined that thought for me....:(

14. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

It's a fanwank. Make of it what you will.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A previous discussion revealed that the original intent was for everyone to use the delta, but somehow wires got crossed and someone approved different patches for different ships. I think TNG returned to the original idea.

16. ZapBrannigan

Edit: I thought TMP universalized the arrowhead badge, but the screencaps aren't backing me up. :mallory:

17. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  18. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Well, it may be a subtle distinction, but it doesn't appear to be the case that "someone approved" the idea of ship-specific patches; it appears to be more the case that no one approved that idea.

Capsule summary is here:

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?p=2329

19. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

They are not? :confused: Admiral Kirk of Starfleet (not Captain Kirk of the USS Enterprise) is wearing the delta, thus you are right.

The one thing that stands in the way that the insignias presumably refer to assigned sectors of fleets would be "The Doomsday-Machine", IMHO.

Right from the beginning Spock states that they had charted the system in the previous year, so what's the Constellation's business in their "backyard", as it obviously has an insignia quite different from the one of the Enterprise?

Bob

20. feek61

"The one thing that stands in the way that the insignias presumably refer to assigned sectors of fleets would be "The Doomsday-Machine", IMHO.

Right from the beginning Spock states that they had charted the system in the previous year, so what's the Constellation's business in their "backyard", as it obviously has an insignia quite different from the one of the Enterprise?"

Not really, just another division is assigned to patrol the area that the "Enterprise" was assigned to last year. Similar to the rotation of navel deployments. One year a carrier say "Nimitz" is sent to the Persian Gulf and next year the "Stennis" is sent to the same area. I don't see that the "Constellation" is patrolling an area that the "Enterprise" previously had patrolled as an issue.

The thing more disturbing to me is in "The Omega Glory" when Kirk says that the "Exeter" had been patrolling in that area 6 months ago; he hadn't heard of any trouble. Really? No contact with Starfleet for six months and nobody was worried or sent a ship to investigate its disappearance? The "Enterprise" just by chance ran into the "Exeter" That is bizzare. Maybe they learned their lesson since they DID send the "Enterprise" out to search for the "Defiant" in the episode "The Tholian Web"

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013