Howard Stern attempts to settle Shatner-Takei feud

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Amasov, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC2TiMEGi2I[/yt]

Have any of you seen this? This is one of the many attempts that Howard has made to try and settle the feud between Shatner and Takei. I have to admit, Shatner sort of annoys me here because he's letting his ego get in the way at times.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Shatner?
    Ego??

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Seriously, why does anyone care? Yawn.

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

There's no real feud--its just a case of a supporting actor---in many cases less than that--allowing post-series fandom to inflate his sense of value to the franchise. Takei was lucky to even be remembered in the same thought as the show's big three, as other TV actors in similar positions in the pecking order were/are forgotten.

5. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This feud is part of Takei's bread and butter. He'll keep it going for as long as it helps him stay in the spotlight. If he'd shut up, he'd disappear off Shatner's radar like a bug I wipe off my windshield.

6. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Off of Shatner's radar, but Takei has done well to keep himself on ours. Between his coming out, Heroes, Phineas and Ferb and finally his big following on FB.

7. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh! No matter how much Stern insists (with his tongue firmly in cheek, I suspect), I very much doubt Shatner would treat this meeting "seriously." Nor do I think he should.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

This.

One played Kirk, the other played Sulu. Beyond that I don't give a rats ass whether they like each other.

9. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

See, if Takei hadn't went and gone ballistic on the set with that fencing sword back in '66, Shatner might not hate him so much today. The Shat has got a long memory. A bit like an elephant.

10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    In other news, Shatner showed up on the BBC talk show 'Hard Talk' [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6mZbI-9a-Q[/yt]

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember them giving each other a big hug during Shatner's roast, so it can't be all that bad. Other then that, who cares. It's things like this that make Trek fans look like obsessed soap-fans.

12. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Stern. Rear. Exhaust and waste expulsion. Says it all. *yuck*. Can't stand that guy.

13. Gary7

Gov Kodos, thanks so much for linking this. It's one of the better interviews with Shatner I've seen. He handles the "common" questions quite freshly. Well done. :bolian:

14. Ssosmcin

Eh, I'd doubt there's any real animosity between them. They probably call each other every few nights and plan out the next move. It's like Celebrity Wrestling.

15. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Shatner owned a piece of the series. No other actor did. He was the star. If George was so hugely important, why did no one bat an eye when he temporarily departed to act in The Green Berets? From my standpoint, Shatner has extended an olive branch many times.

It's been more than 40 years. Geez, how long do some people want to bear a grudge?

16. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you....that was a very enjoyable interview.:techman:

17. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Your welcome, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I was happy to note Shatner mentioned the kiss with Uhura as not being as ground breaking as it might of been because the characters were forced into it rather than of their own choice. It's something that has always made me feel the scene has been overly lauded for just that very external compulsion.

18. Ssosmcin

Also, you can tell they're not really kissing. It's actually pretty unconvincing.

19. Gary7

Yep. They just touch lower lips. You can plainly see Shatner's open mouth below his upper lip. So when I read about how Shatner "snuck in the kiss", just in time where they couldn't do another take, I was like "what kiss?" ;)

20. cgervasi

cgervasi Commander Red Shirt

Right. If you treat the kiss as being real, then you have say him trying to whip her and everything else they had planned for them would have been real.