DVD Edits

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Lonestar, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Lonestar

Lonestar Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've noticed that on some of the DVDs (such as season one) That scenes from the episodes have been edited out, one scene that springs out to me is from Emmisary when Bashir and Odo are first on the Promenade tending to the wounded where Bashir tells Odo to press on a persons wound, is there any reason these have been edited out?

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Err. Did you get a bootleg copy?

3. Lonestar

Lonestar Lieutenant Red Shirt

No, I have the R2 reissued Slimline boxed sets

4. Magisterfrodo

Magisterfrodo Vice Admiral Admiral

In my region 1 originals there are no missing scenes. Not sure about region 2 stuff.

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Well, I have the region 2 box of season one. And I looked it up, the scene you're missing is in there. Don't know about the split half-boxes though. I have the full seasons.

6. CDP

CDP Commodore Commodore

I haven't watched Emmissary in ages, but I do know that in 'to the death' the jem hadar first killing his second is edited out.

7. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt

I have all the seasons on DVD, just watched Emissary the other night. Mine has the scene with Bashir asking Odo to press here on the injured person. In fact its great watching them on DVD because they are how they were when they originally aired, Spike edits alot from the shows. In emissary, Spike edits out the whole O'Brien goodbye on the Enterprise.

8. Keldor

Keldor Ensign Red Shirt

All of the R2 copies of DS9 seem to be edited, like the part in To The Death where Omet'iklan snaps Toman'Torax's neck after the fight with Worf, the neck snap is edited so badly it looks like he hugs him to death.

You're best bet is to try and buy the Region 1 versions, as the all seem to be uncut.

9. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

The only R2 episodes that are edited are "To The Death" and "Sons And Daughters". The first for the neck snap, the latter for the blood sharing scene. Both cuts are due to British censorship, which all other European countries had to follow in order to facilitate a standardised EU wide release.

10. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've region 4 of Season 1.
    The scene is there.

Most curious...

11. Oso Blanco

Are the R4 DVDs in PAL?

12. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

That's pretty ironic that third-parties are now starting to censor the crap out of "To The Death", even though it was already heavily self-censored by the showrunners at the time it was being made and they ended up not liking how the censored product turned out as a shell of what they originally envisioned for that episode.

Btw how did you know what the only scenes that were censored are? Ie: Did you learn this by manually remembering what was in each episode and making the conclusion based on memory? Did you do an episode by episode comparison, watching the uncensored version of every episode, followed by the version of the episode on the censored DVDs? How come Weyoun's neck snap from Season 7 wasn't censored, presuming it wasn't?

Anyhow, thanks for posting these DS9 censorship issues. It's good for people to be made aware that DS9 is now being censored by third-parties. Glad I don't live in R2; if I wanted to watch butchered versions of DS9 I'd watch them on television. No point IMO in anyone shelling out hundreds of dollars just to buy a butchered DVD version of DS9. :mad:

13. Oso Blanco

To be honest, I wouldn't have noticed. But it has become kind of common knowledge, since it had been posted on several websites. By the way, I'm talking about the complete-season-box-sets, I have no idea what's on the half-season-box-sets, but I'd imagine that they are identical.

The most ironic thing is that we have the censored DVDs here in Germany just because the British censorship wouldn't give the rating that Paramount wanted for the box set.

The episodes can be seen UNCUT on German tv in the afternoon! The only episode cut for German tv is TNG: Conspiracy, the one where Remmicks head is exploding. Strangely enough, this scene passed the British censorship without problems.

So, what about R4? Do they have the uncut episodes in PAL? If so, I should get them!

14. CDP

CDP Commodore Commodore

Actually, remmicks exploding head was edited out on BBC2 when it first aired in 1990/91.

15. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

And TOS 'The Empath' was dropped entirely until the mid-nineties. The TNG episode about terrorism (I forget the title - it was a rubbish Crusher episode) was also banned by the BBC, for fears it could be seen as favouring the IRA.

16. Oso Blanco

I know. But it WAS on the DVD!

17. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why? Was the UK banning stuff for just plain sucking?

18. Phillip Culley

Phillip Culley Captain Captain

IIRC there were 4 'banned' episodes of TOS - Miri' (which was first shown in 1970/71-ish), and then never repeated until the early 90's, and Whom Gods Destroy, Plato's Stepchildren' and The Empath.

IIRC they were all banned for content issues - Miri for something to do with the children, The Empath for the torture,and I can't remember what happened with the other episodes.

I've heard Justice was also passed on during the first broadcast, but the BBC catalogue (where I could confirm it) is offline. As to The High Ground, apparently it was shown on the BBC recently, but again I can't check the catalogue to confirm.

19. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

According to the BBFC--the British censorship board for films, DVDs and games--"Emissary" has been rated only once, and it was rated "PG" with no cuts made in 1993 for the first CIC video release, so there is no reason that it should be cut on the DVD. (here) I don't have any DS9 DVDs but I'm sure that the slimline reissues are exactly the same discs as the original versions, just in different packaging.

As for BBC cuts and "bannings", Memory Alpha has a list here: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/BBC

20. exalted one

exalted one Commander Red Shirt

Now I'm considering suing them for selling me the incomplete product while clearly offering the complete one.
    However, who's "them" in this case? Should I sue Amazon.co.uk? Or should I sue Paramount? Or perhaps somebody else?

(You see, THIS is what you get for being a honest sheep who wants to pay for stuff. No way I'm going to buy anything else after this. They're not going to get my complete money for incomplete :censored: products!)