Star Trek XI DVD - Preorder or not?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by darkshadow0001, Oct 26, 2009.

1. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Some I pick up, some I have delivered. Some of the BB employees are so incompetent, I can't deal with picking them up.

2. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

24thcentsfan, thats how my TNG dvds appear on my widescreen tv. All stretched out and weird. My husband sits on the couch in front of the telly and he sees the picture all stretched.

The weirder thing is, if i sit on the couch that is at an angle to the telly the picture is fine.

3. Yeoman Randi

MYROJO, so if i pre-order the Blu-ray now, i can pick it up on the 17th AND get the $10 off special thing they have going on? Sounds that way... (its $10 off another ST set or movie)

awesome!

4. Yeoman Randi

double posted. weird.

5. MvRojo

The horizontal bars on top and bottom are there to preserve the original aspect ratio of the film. You can't remove them.

6. MvRojo

Yeah, if you pre-order it now, you can actually go and pick up whatever other Trek movie you purchase with it. Which might be bad if you don't want to make two trips (in which case, you might want to wait until a little closer to order).

7. MvRojo

That's a setting issue with your player.

And here's Trek-related comparison of full screen vs. widescreen.
    http://www.widescreen.org/examples/stfc/index.shtml

8. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    I am preordering the film on blu-ray from amazon.com!:vulcan:

9. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can you not set your DVD player to output 4:3? You can in the ones I've checked (my mother's , my mother's in-law and mine, different brands).

Also, the actual aspect ratio as shown in cinemas is 2.35 - even at 16:9 (1.777) you're loosing a fair bit of the picture.

10. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

That's no good reason to go with a inferior pan-and-scan version of a widescreen movie.

Then you should probably check the settings of your DVD player and change the output signal for a 4:3 TV.

But that is not how a widescreen movie in intended to be watched.
    These awful pan-and-scan versions destroy the framing and cinematography the director and DP have set up.

You mean like in the 1930s/1950s?

There was and never is any content cut out by those black bars. They only represent non-information on a 4:3 and even on 16:9 screen when the full width of the widescreen picture is displayed.
    'Fullscreen' versions of any widescreen movie loose information/content, and a lot of.

You'd still be decades too late.

11. pah2602

pah2602 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

12. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

I pre-ordered the Blu Ray version of Star Trek when it became available and had it in my hands on release day, this November 2nd, Monday morning :)

13. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I pre ordered the blu ray as my local store was expecting to sell out. However, because of their expectations, they ordered in bulk - I think they bought around 70 copies - so in the end there were still plenty on shelf on the day. On the upside though they ended up about ten dollars cheaper than I was expecting. Another bonus was that they called me and were selling a day earlier than the advertised release date.

14. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

People still don't know the difference between wide screen and full screen after all these years ?

That's so very sad....

Okay once more I'll put it into small words for the unenlightened.....

C I N I M A S C O P E [________]
    Big huge rectangular movie screen

T V [__]
    Square Screen

Okay, how do you fit massive rectangle into a square area ?

Well, you could cut off the sides of the 'scope film and pan & scan like a drunk director with a massive hangover....

Or you could just put black bars where there is no footage what so ever so the rectangle is in the middle of the square.....

THAT 2ND ONE IS WHAT WIDE-SCREEN MEANS ON DVD'S

Don't like the black bars, tough, even on 16x9 HDTV's you'll still get the black bars, yes they'll be SMALLER, but they'll still be THERE because even 16x9 isn't as big as 'scope is.

I know this becuse I just got a nice 16x9 HDTV & ST:TMP still had black bars at the top and bottom, gasp, go fig....

It didn't bother me because I know it was shot in 'scope and not in a 'standard' movie format.

Now if you've paying any attention, you've may have noticed even TV shows on a 'standard' TV have black bars, that's because they started shooting them in 16x9 and broadcasting them the same way as well.

Trying to escape any Wide Screen format is impossible nowadays, the entire world has moved to it, even ADS on TV do it, we've left 'standard' in the dust pretty much before the 'switch' the FCC required ALL the networks to do recently.

Disney's new feature length 'traditional' animated film that's on it's way to theaters will be in 'scope as well, heck the last several ones they did by hand were in that format too.

Computer Animated films can be 'manipulated' to fit a 'standard' TV screen, but that's not the point now. That practice will no longer be done as 16x9 is the new 'standard' as far as TV goes.

Wide-screen isn't something new, Hollywood's been making wide-screen movies for a very LONG time. Why ? To compete against what they saw as a threat to their bottom line, Television, and seeing as TV has been around from the late 1940's early 1950's we're talking 1/2 a century here.

This was long before the 2nd profit market from VHS & so forth came along to help Hollywood resell their films to the general public, so you can kinda see why they did what they did at the time.

They wanted films to be BIG events, so they made the films BIGGER then what you could see on TV any old day. This prompted the creation of several film formats, each owned by each studio back in the day, however CinemaScope (tm) became the industry standard in short time even with all the other formats that there were at the time.

ANYWAY, flash forward to VHS.

Now here came the problem, Hollywood decided that folks who didn't know any better wouldn't watch a film with black bars at the top and bottom, so they cut off the right and left sides of every film they put out on VHS back in the early days of VHS life. Film buffs weren't very happy about this practice.

Later on, Hollywood bowed down to the folks who complained about this practice, because DIRECTORS added their voices to that of the film buffs, as they wanted their work to be seen, all of it, not just the middle of it or whatever have you.

Now this is where the confusion started between folks that know better vs folks that didn't know better started. Folks that didn't know better started saying things like....

"Hey, this movie doesn't fill up my TV screen, it's black on the top and bottom where there should be footage located."

This is the main reason why there is a site on the 'net like www.widescreen.org in the first place to explain this stuff to the unenlightened, they also cover the multitudes of other formats that Hollywood played with back in the day.

Go ahead and check that site out, it's quite an eye opener.

I'm sure that site will be around to hold folks hands when they watch something like "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" on their wonderful 16x9 HDTV's and there's still these black bars there even tho' the TV is a wide screen TV....

Just remember, this whole thing started because TV was competing directly with movies back in the day.

- W -
    * Who Also Film Historian Sometimes When It Come To This Stuff *

15. Yeoman Randi

That's awesome! I've been scouting around on the internet checking prices. I thought they were creeping down here as well, but couldn't believe it.

I'm going to wait a few more days to pre-order mine from Best Buy (right now it's listed for $22.99. Amazon has it listed right now at 21.99) because i'll then get another $10 off another Star trek dvd or set. Everything i have right now is on DVD, but we do have a Blu-ray player...so i hope to upgrade another movie set.

16. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank God I decided to go to the store today to pick up a blu-ray to watch tonight, otherwise I might not have known Star Trek has been released early in the Netherlands! So, instead of Gladiator, The Elephant Man or The Day The Earth Stood Still I shall be watching Star Trek in glorious high definition tonight! :)

17. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

brilliant hope you enjoy the film.

18. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank you. Circumstances prevented me from seeing the film more than one time at the theater, so this will be my second viewing!

19. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

Well you will enjoy it more won't you I have to wait until the 25th December to get my copy of Star Trek.

20. I don't think i've ever preordered a DVD. Usually I just stroll into a best buy or somewhere and its almost always there.