DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Let's see. For me its:
    Batman #6 -Best book of the New 52, IMO
    Green Lantern Corps #6 -Not impressed with this arc, but love the characters enough to stick with it
    Red Hood and the Outlaws #6 -Reading this one to impress a girl. Seriously never thought I would be reading a comic book to do that.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Mustang II? Really? :lol:

(I owned a '77.)

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are these sentences in English? Because I don't think I'm reading them right.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Girls reading comics? That's more elusive than new readers. :p

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the six month mark the new car smell has definitely worn off.

I've got:
    BATMAN
    LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES
    NIGHTWING
    SUPERGIRL

And maybe DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah and so far "wave two" hasn't impressed me at all, I am kind of surprised that we haven't had at least one or two cancellations yet but like I said several months ago they're going to do their damnest to support the first wave for as long as possible.

7. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Titles I have let go
    Captain Atom
    Men of War
    I Vampire
    Red Lanterns
    Voodoo
    Hawk & Dove
    Hawkman
    Green Arrow
    Mr. Terrific
    Resurrection Man
    Omac
    Deathstroke
    BlackHawks
    Grifter
    StormWatch(I may go back to this though)
    Static Shock
    So all told I have dropped 16 of the initial 52 for various reasons. I have added both the Shade and Ray mini series to my pull list but not the Huntress.
    Titles tottering on the brink for me include
    Batwing
    Birds of Prey(Almost certainly gone)
    Green Lantern: New Guardians
    Frankenstein
    Teen Titans
    With those gone I will have dropped almost half the initial 52 which is about where I thought I would be at this time.

8. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm in a pattern now where I buy a handful on Wednesday when they first come out (JL Dark, Demon Knights, Batwing, Wonder Woman, Action, Justice League), and wait for the pricedrop to buy some titles (I, Vampire, Frankenstein). I'm looking forward to the Earth 2 stuff. and trade-waiting Batwoman, Huntress, the Penguin mini-series.

9. Broccoli

Aren't they cancelling Mr. Terrific, Men of War, O.M.A.C., Static Shock, Blackhawks, and Hawk & Dove?

10. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Yeah, they are.

Personally, I think they should have canceled more, if they have a fixation on 52 or simply just gave us more in Wave 2. Like at least 10. Part of the appeal of the New 52 was announced was that there really was something for everybody. That's not the case this time around and I don't see how it's going to keep the hype up.

I'm kind of over the number 52...

11. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not counting #1 issues that I didn't keep going with, the only titles I've dropped are Blackhawks and Mr. Terrific. I really wanted Mr. Terrific to be good because I love the character. But sadly, it never really rose over mediocre.

Of the second wave I'll be picking up Earth 2, Worlds' Finest, Dial H, and G.I. Combat. We'll see...

12. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Thus far Batman, Wonder Woman, Animal Man and Swamp Thing have sustained nicely and in the case of the latter three have been cool intros to the characters for me me given I was a comic novice when all this Nu52 stuff started.

I also have Action Comics on the go also, but after reading the first three (which I actually enjoyed, though with decreasing returns with every issue) I'm waiting for the initial Morrison run of 8 to finish before reading it as a complete story.

I said to myself when I started the comic collecting thing: "Get one of each of the Superrheroes you enjoy the most and try them out for one story run" - So I got Action for Supes, the new Morales Ultimate Spiderman for a "different" Spidey story and Snyder's Batman based on his last story run on Detective Comics before the reboot.

Animal Man and Swamp Thing have impressed me the most so far, given I have no character reference having not read a jot of their books before. I love the wildely differing artistic styles but also the way their ominous and mini-epic stories are beginning to blend together nad the fact that they are in the end quite personal little stories, be they of a stuggling family man, or a man who has lost his history.

Wonder Woman was a complete impulse buy and done solely because I had finished reading 100 Bullets and was enjoying the hell out of Azerello's Spaceman. Although, again, the character is new to me, the introdution felt fluid and I'm enjoying the scope of the book.

How long any of these will last will depend on the authors I guess. They have, in the end, all been bought because I have enjoyed the author's Non-Big-Two work and i guess if/when the author leaves, likely so will I.

But we'll see.

And in fact the only one of the "New Wave" that I like the sound of is the book written by China Mieville (my favourite British author right now), Dial H for Hero. It in fact sounds like one of the dafter ideas for a book, but firstly it is Mieville and secondly, I just finished Nextwave: Agents of Hate, which was just about the daftest thing I have read in years. And I loved every page of it. So why the hell not ;)

The one thing I can not do is the monthly read. So far I have collected the first 5 issues and THEN read them (Action aside as noted above), to allow the story to build its momentum, and I feel it has worked. I guess I am an odd mixture of patient (Happy to wait 5 months read a book) and impatient (I want the complete story NOW!!) :p

Overall though I find myself not massively interested in the DC/Marvel world and spend most of my reading time in the Vertigo (yes I know, it's DC), Image, Boom! and Wildstorm prints.

Indeed it is now back to Brubaker's Criminal: Last of the Innocent for me :)

Hugo - novice and waffler

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  13. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, there's that, but I can see that. My ex read a lot of comics.

Then there's the "impress her" part, which I could maybe sort of see. Sandman? Yeah, okay, back in the day there were some cool chicks who might look favorably on your ability to be like Morpheus, which actually says some pretty negative things about their willingness to enter into abusive relationships, but whatever. I know of no comic in the past decade that was a similar cultural phenomenon, let alone that could potentially involve comic readers actually having sex ("The Walking Dead gets me so hot").

Then there's the "Red Hood and the Outlaws" part, which indicates that the statement clearly comes from the mirror universe, where everyone wears beards and Scott Lobdell is sexy.

14. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Yes, and they are replacing them with Batman Incorporated, Earth 2, World's Finest, Dial H for Hero, GI Combat and The Ravagers.

15. Admiral_Young

Batman, Incorporated isn't a replacement book, it's the continuation of "Batman, Inc". It's just joining the New 52'verse. I forgot some were cancelled.

16. Broccoli

Re: nevek86
    I know that. I was responding to Admiral Young's comment on how we haven't heard about any cancellations when, in fact, we have.

Technically, it is a replacement book, as it is replacing one of the other cancelled New 52 books to keep the line at "52".

17. Admiral_Young

Of course. I'm just pointing out for those that weren't reading "Batman, Inc" that it is the continuation of that series and not a brand new book they just added.

18. OdoWanKenobi

I know, I know. I really hated the first issue. I thought it was sexist and disgusting. However, this girl is obsessed with both Starfire and Jason Todd for some reason, and so is blind to the flaws. In her own words: "Starfire is getting some booty. Good for her." So yeah, I gave it a second chance in order to make her happy. It actually does get better. Though this month's was a little underwhelming. I was expecting a bit more from Jason and Kori's first meeting.

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i haven't been reading all of the 52 books, but out of those i have the only ones i've dropped thus far are Fury of Firestorm...dropped after the first issue...and Red Lanterns...dropped after the fourth issue. thinking about cutting Justice League too.

20. OdoWanKenobi

So, uh John Stewart. This now makes two Corps members that he has MURDERED! How is he not getting put on the next flight back to Earth sans ring?