Secret Invasion: The End - SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hermiod, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Right up until the point where it resets everything again and you have to figure out what parts they've changed and what parts remain the same between revisions.

2. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

I pretty much gave up on DC after Countdown to 52 and then Countdown to Final Crisis rolled around. Took too long to figure out who the hell these minor characters are...

3. A Clockwork Lim

A Clockwork Lim Lieutenant Commander

I don't mind DCs "rebooting," especially when it's done to try and bring the stories into the current climate. Which, admittedly, has been rare as of late. Especially when they just resort to what they were a few years prior.

My problem is just the stories they do tell. Particularly with Superman. They're just really, really bad most of the time.

I really appreciate the idea of seeing superheroes as modern gods and mythology. I just wish they'd really go down that route, telling stories that actually tell a story and -- preferably -- some sort of moral lesson. Most of the time it just seems to be a random wankfest with some obscure nobody as the villain and ends up being a punching-fest at the end.

At least a good number of Marvel stories look at the way people react to things with an emphasis on the characters, not the action sequences.

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Then there's the part where you have to remember which Flash and which Green Lantern are members of the JLA this week.

5. blaXXer

blaXXer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Im short: Current Marvel > Current DC (that is 'damn clusterfuck' for you).

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Sums it up pretty well. :lol:

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

Meh. A pox on both their houses.

8. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Well more so on DC...

9. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both companies are doing too much with the universe concepts and not enough focusing on the individual characters. It's high time crossovers and events were special again. Let's go at least four years with no huge event stories with multiple meaningless tie-ins. As it stands, the characters only get five months at best with stories separate from the crossovers.

10. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DC has fallen in love with their minor characters. Which on one level is good, because in books like Checkmate, Gotham Central or say, Secret Six, you get a look at the DCU universe from a very different and fresh perspective. One of the problems is they also have major events hinge around the actions of these minor characters, who seem lately to be all from Flash's world. And while multiple Green Lanterns make sense, they are after all a police force, I can't keep up with all the speedsters - dead, alive and in between - racing about in those Flash comics I don't read. But there a crap load of them, that I know.

It gets a bit messy.

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I just flicked through this issue again. Have a very careful look at the spread when Stark brings down the Skrull ship full of the people the Skrulls had captured and replaced.

It seems it wasn't just S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA agents and superheroes they replaced... :lol: :guffaw: :lol:

12. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Bendis is talking out of his ass. Emma hasnt "straddled both lines for a long time" she has been good for close to 20 years.

13. blaXXer

heh, elvis...

14. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

No, she's pure evil. She just likes kids. :rolleyes:

15. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Hey, Thrall, is it just me or has noone responded to our larger point that Marvel under Jemas (and now JoeyQ) has been putting out mostly garbage for years?

Personally, I think they just need to excise 98% of what they've done since the early part of "Hero's Return" and start over...

16. blaXXer

That's because you two dimwits are just flamebaiting in every comicbook-related thread.

17. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

No, she has been a bona fide good guy for years.

Mainly because you are wrong. Plus Jemas hasnt been involved in the creative side of Marvel for years.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed SI for the most part, although it didn't pan out quite like I was expecting. I was expecting something more along the lines of a protracted Skrull entrenchment on Earth, then a super-hero resistance effort with a big final battle finally routing the Skrulls. After all the build-up and secrets and hype, having the whole thing take place in less than a day (Marvel time, of course) seemed a little anti-climactic.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah I always assumed "Dark Reign" was going to mean the Skrulls won and occupied Earth or still remained in force in some shape or form. So that was an interesting twist that the invincible numerous Skrulls just got boned like that ;)

20. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

So not being willing to happily swallow whatever shite Joey Q's Marvel decides to try to feed us = flamebaiting...gotcha!:techman: